JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 68) - The Cat Walk-mulligan2-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

For those not familiar with this one:

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 68) - The Cat Walk-catwalk-mulligan-jpg

User Info Menu

Fur. Cat. Have I got it?

User Info Menu

Here's a video of Cat Walk from the Mulligan meets Webster album. This one's a great vehicle for invention from slow and smooth to wild and wooly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Fur. Cat. Have I got it?
    If not, you can always use the escape claws.

User Info Menu

Anybody find a track for this? I'd like to jump back in with this one, nice bluesy number...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Anybody find a track for this? I'd like to jump back in with this one, nice bluesy number...
    I’ll see how well the software that “removes” vocals works on the Mulligan / Webster track. It’s worth a try.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Look what the cat dragged in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I’ll see how well the software that “removes” vocals works on the Mulligan / Webster track. It’s worth a try.
    ...but it doesn't work. I tried the filers, the phase shifters, and the AI programs - none works well. The saxes are each all the way to one side in the stereo cuts, so even a "mid-side" process doesn't get rid of much of them without taking a lot of the rhythm section with it. The original mono track doesn't have enough out-of-phase content to subtract much, so I can't come up with a backing track without making it myself.

I'll check my iReal Pro later. I don 't have time to do that now - my trio has a regular Thursday night club gig. If I can get to it in the morning, I'll try to lay down a decent one if it's not in IRP. [EDIT - It's not, unless I just couldn't find it. I did come across a post in the forums that asked for the same chart, and there was no response.]

Before putting up a tune, it's obvious that we all need to be sure there's at least one backing track available. I'll certainly check before suggesting another tune!
    Last edited by nevershouldhavesoldit; 04-28-2022 at 05:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Is anybody here good enough with BIAB to make a track?

User Info Menu

...but it doesn't work. I tried the filers, the phase shifters, and the AI programs - none works well. The saxes are each all the way to one side in the stereo cuts, so even a "mid-side" process doesn't get rid of much of them without taking a lot of the rhythm section with it. The original mono track doesn't have enough out-of-phase content to subtract much, so I can't come up with a backing track without making it myself.

I'll check my iReal Pro later. I don 't have time to do that now - my trio has a regular Thursday night club gig. If I can get to it in the morning, I'll try to lay down a decent one if it's not in IRP. [EDIT - It's not, unless I just couldn't find it. I did come across a post in the forums that asked for the same chart, and there was no response.]

Before putting up a tune, it's obvious that we all need to be sure there's at least one backing track available. I'll certainly check before suggesting another tune!
    It's not in my iReal pro (haven't checked the iReal forum recently). And yup, it helps to do a little scouting for charts and backing tracks when picking a tune.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I could probably knock one up tomorrow, it looks fairly simple.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I could probably knock one up tomorrow, it looks fairly simple.
    Thanks, I was going to suggest you did it.

User Info Menu

We might be interested in this. Same thing only different :- )

User Info Menu

Funny thing is, when I saw the title, I immediately thought of this:

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 68) - The Cat Walk-a3573f6d-d9c0-4466-9c2d-32f38dc61474-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Yes...I made it this morning.F-major with 8 bars intro
    Have fun

Box

User Info Menu

Attachment 90924
    I think it is OK...:-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Have fun

Box
    thanks kris, saved me a job!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Funny thing is, when I saw the title, I immediately thought of this:

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 68) - The Cat Walk-a3573f6d-d9c0-4466-9c2d-32f38dc61474-jpeg
    That's why I posted two days early. I thought there'd be some confusion over this. But never was quite clear about it being the Mulligan version (although he did float the Byrd as an alternative in case it all went wrong).

Actually I prefer the Mulligan, it's quite fun. But I think we can certainly keep the Byrd to do at a future date.

By the way, Graham, do you have any tunes for the list? I'm sure you could come up with some good ideas.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 68) - The Cat Walk-de2d2d81-ae73-4cc6-afd7-a351665e86a2-jpeg

Thanks!! I just got up and was planning to make one the old fashioned way. Now I can use the time to take a run at the tune

User Info Menu

Today I picked up my guitar from a luthier. Bridge and note correction.
    I recorded The Cat Walk right away.Cool "blues" style number.

Box

User Info Menu

We just got back from the gym, so ignore the attire. We have a family affair this evening, so I felt like playing a bit before showering and dressing for the masses. I did a take with my guitar, but something was missing - so I got out my Roland synth and added a sax section. This is an original GR-20, so it's not quite as good as the current ones. I use it to flesh out blues bands with B-3/Leslie (which is more than decent), sax (which is not too shabby but bettered by the new versions), Rhodes & Whirly (also decent+), and vibes (absolutely stellar). There's a bit of latency between plucking and sounding, because the synth pickup is just in front of the bridge. There are now saddle pickups that eliminate this, and I may add one of the Ghost units to my Tele 7 in the future. But for now, I just anticipate the beat a bit.

So here's my rapid take on Cat Walk, with a side of synthesized saxophone:

PS: That's my Frankenpaul with a Roland GK pickup on it. It started life as a '90s Epi LP 7. The hardware was terrible, so I replaced most of it. The tuners are 7 from a set of 12 string Grovers that I found on a bargain table at a guitar show. The nut is Tusq and the pickup is an EMG that I also got on clearance and came with pots. I routed the body with my Dremel, disgarded the bridge pup, and filled the bridge rout and control holes. The bridge and tailpiece have been fine, with no string breakage or other evidence of roughness etc.

I was about to strip the finish and redo it myself when I realized that I didn't know how thick the veneer was (if any) or if that "grain" was even real. So rather than make a mess and end up with a disaster, I "blended" the filled areas with furniture touchup sticks and brushed on some antiqued poly. I put the Roland pickup bar under the top 6 strings - the 7th doesn't really need it anyway.

User Info Menu

We just got back from the gym, so ignore the attire. We have a family affair this evening, so I felt like playing a bit before showering and dressing for the masses. I did a take with my guitar, but something was missing - so I got out my Roland synth and added a sax section. This is an original GR-20, so it's not quite as good as the current ones. I use it to flesh out blues bands with B-3/Leslie (which is more than decent), sax (which is not too shabby but bettered by the new versions), Rhodes & Whirly (also decent+), and vibes (absolutely stellar). There's a bit of latency between plucking and sounding, because the synth pickup is just in front of the bridge. There are now saddle pickups that eliminate this, and I may add one of the Ghost units to my Tele 7 in the future. But for now, I just anticipate the beat a bit.

So here's my rapid take on Cat Walk, with a side of synthesized saxophone:

PS: That's my Frankenpaul with a Roland GK pickup on it. It started life as a '90s Epi LP 7. The hardware was terrible, so I replaced most of it. The tuners are 7 from a set of 12 string Grovers that I found on a bargain table at a guitar show. The nut is Tusq and the pickup is an EMG that I also got on clearance and came with pots. I routed the body with my Dremel, disgarded the bridge pup, and filled the bridge rout and control holes. The bridge and tailpiece have been fine, with no string breakage or other evidence of roughness etc.

I was about to strip the finish and redo it myself when I realized that I didn't know how thick the veneer was (if any) or if that "grain" was even real. So rather than make a mess and end up with a disaster, I "blended" the filled areas with furniture touchup sticks and brushed on some antiqued poly. I put the Roland pickup bar under the top 6 strings - the 7th doesn't really need it anyway.
    Nice playing on guitar synth.

User Info Menu

Nice

User Info Menu

Nice indeed - is that a pure acoustic take?