The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

... or three?
    More curious about the how. Could be helpful even for others maybe.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    ... or three?
    More curious about the how. Could be helpful even for others maybe.
    You’re assuming that we are reliable evaluators of our own performances. Which I don’t really buy.

From a subjective perspective if I’m not actively sabotaging myself I’m happy enough. This is easiest when I haven’t slept for several days although sometimes that can complicate the actually being able to play aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    You’re assuming that we are reliable evaluators of our own performances. Which I don’t really buy.
    Fair point.
    But absolutely subjective then. Best solo when you felt like "that was it".

User Info Menu

Fair point.
    But absolutely subjective then. Best solo when you felt like "that was it".
    and then I listen to a recording two months later and think ‘no it wasn’t’ :-)

User Info Menu

I think the thing this taught me is that I haven’t a clue, and to not worry too much. Practicing the guitar seems to make things better over time.

User Info Menu

The best solos I ever played were with the best musicians I ever played with. Being with great players can elevate you like nothing else.

User Info Menu

I got a break on a country gig once and I fucking tore shit up. Chicken picking, open string cascades, even busted out some altered bebop shit on the V. I owned it. I got a standing ovation and felt great about myself.

On the next tune, I fucked up the easy intro.

Because life is like that.

User Info Menu

If you've already played your best solo ever, what's the point?
    ????

User Info Menu

I couldn't possibly answer this question. I've never scored and ranked my solos, and have never had any thought along the lines of "that's the best solo I've ever played."

I have had moments where everything clicked and the playing felt especially fluid and unencumbered. Those have mainly come when I'm playing music I really know inside out, with people I've played with a lot, during a period of practicing and playing a ton. Or 2 out of those 3, anyway. So the "how" is "by getting your shit really together."

User Info Menu

My best solo is yet to be played in the future, but I don't know exactly when it will be.

In my bedroom, late at night, when nobody was listening except maybe a few bed bugs, cockroaches, and mice. They’re still there so I guess I must have done something right.

User Info Menu

July 4th, 2006 (?). Private pool party for family and friends held by one of our biggest fans. Bass, drums, guitar. Penultimate song of our show, and a crowd pleaser. Just some porch pickin'....

I think the singing is better than the original.

User Info Menu

I think the singing is better than the original.
    Aw, shucks. Thank you very much!

User Info Menu

When nobody cares.

When I'm trying things.

I've got no recordings of jam sessions or when people cared and said it was kind of good.

I am not a good example.