Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 75

User Info Menu

This is from Triple_Jazz

.JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 67) - Moments Notice-coltrane-forum-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

TUNES REQUEST

It's that time again. We've got this tune and one next week then we're going to need more to keep these threads going. Send as many as you like. If we falter we'll think of something else.

Don't forget, please don't announce them here, they're supposed to be a surprise. PM them to me. Thanks.

(By the way, here we are in 2022. There have been many, many good tunes written by all sorts of people since the bop and post-bop eras. We don't have to keep playing Miles and Coltrane! Just a thought!)

User Info Menu

Well, I've done this, a bit brutal, and not very quick or very bebop, but we got through it

User Info Menu

Moment Notice is not an easy tune.You should get to know it well and practice it.
    This is my first recording - I haven't practiced enough.
    There is an intro in the original Coltrane recordings.
    This intro is not in Real Books.
    My take is with this intro ... :

Box

User Info Menu

There’s a jam near me where the hosts usually play this tune and it always knocks my socks off! By contrast this clip is a typical Saturday trying to learn and practice tunes. Enjoy

User Info Menu

I always do my best stuff in the kitchen

User Info Menu

This is my second take. I found a nice rhythm section / bass + drums /.
    Have fun.

Box

User Info Menu

Here we go. This backing track is at 250 BPM, which is about my max (or a bit above it TBH). I did a few takes, and they all sound about the same because there's a limit to how many ideas I can come up with at this kind of tempo. Might try again with a bit of an overdriven/legato approach if I have a chance.

Last edited by John A.; 04-24-2022 at 03:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Just got home from my Sunday blues brunch gig and cleaned my Tele - so I figured I might as well take a crack at this one. I'm working on being able to sight read without looking at the guitar at all, which I've never mastered. As I don't know the changes to Moments Notice, I thought this was a perfect chance to see how far I've gotten. I'll be making another pass at it in a day or two.

For some reason, listening to the tune before laying this down made me think Baroque, so I did one pass of the opening as a fugue before hitting the same backing track I'm sure others will use from YT. Here's the raw mix:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Here we go. This backing track is at 250 BPM, which is about my max (or a bit above it TBH). I did a few takes, and they all sound about the same because there's a limit to how many ideas I can come up with at this kind of tempo. Might try again with a bit of an overdriven/legato approach if I have a chance.

John,
    You play a lot of cool jazz phrases and very skillfully.
    I've listened to it a few times .
    Playing fast-tempo MN requires full synchronization with the backing track.
    I know it is very difficult and I am working on it all the time.
    Maybe later I will record the max 230 BPM version.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    This is my second take. I found a nice rhythm section / bass + drums /.
    Have fun.
    That’s quite tasty!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Just got home from my Sunday blues brunch gig and cleaned my Tele - so I figured I might as well take a crack at this one. I'm working on being able to sight read without looking at the guitar at all, which I've never mastered. As I don't know the changes to Moments Notice, I thought this was a perfect chance to see how far I've gotten. I'll be making another pass at it in a day or two.

For some reason, listening to the tune before laying this down made me think Baroque, so I did one pass of the opening as a fugue before hitting the same backing track I'm sure others will use from YT. Here's the raw mix:

Interesting musical ideas.
    A bit too fast tempo.
    Telecasters are very sensitive to articulation and that's why I'm a bit afraid to play them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    There’s a jam near me where the hosts usually play this tune and it always knocks my socks off! By contrast this clip is a typical Saturday trying to learn and practice tunes. Enjoy

+1
    Congratulations on the concentration exercise.
    Great video clip.

User Info Menu

A bit too fast tempo.
    Thanks for the input!

Given the guidelines for this thread, I just used the first backing track I found and took it at face value. It's a fun effort and a cool challenge at that tempo. Sight reading the changes while not looking at the guitar at all added a "cruel twist" - but if I'm ever to reach the next level, it's something I need to master anyway (and my current developmental focus). Remember Jeff's "rules" in the sticky thread:

"This is about improvisation. Don't post a transcription. Don't work out a whole solo. Don't spend all week making a solo guitar arrangement. Just put down your phone and do a take. Keep it fresh. I personally like short"

[EDIT] FWIW, the original's at about 230, which is very close to that tempo if I count it correctly:

Last edited by nevershouldhavesoldit; 04-25-2022 at 03:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Tough tune, I think this backing (aebersold) is about 230 bpm which was not easy, but somehow I managed to hang on! I did have to work on the changes for a while first.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Thanks for the input!

Given the guidelines for this thread, I just used the first backing track I found and took it at face value. It's a fun effort and a cool challenge at that tempo. Sight reading the changes while not looking at the guitar at all added a "cruel twist" - but if I'm ever to reach the next level, it's something I need to master anyway (and my current developmental focus). Remember Jeff's "rules" in the sticky thread:

"This is about improvisation. Don't post a transcription. Don't work out a whole solo. Don't spend all week making a solo guitar arrangement. Just put down your phone and do a take. Keep it fresh. I personally like short"

[EDIT] FWIW, the original's at about 230, which is very close to that tempo if I count it correctly:

I think I was misunderstood.
    Tempo is exelent.
    But I'm not sure if you feel comfortable playing the guitar at this tempo.
    My last take was about 185 BPM-it was comfortable for me.
    I tried to record at 225 BPM but couldn't.
    I was playing nervously at 225 BPM and I couldn't control my time.I need to exercise.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Tough tune, I think this backing (aebersold) is about 230 bpm which was not easy, but somehow I managed to hang on! I did have to work on the changes for a while first.

Very good.
    Long solo in fast tempo-very smart playing.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure if you feel comfortable playing the guitar at this tempo.
    I’m very comfortable playing at that tempo if I know the changes well. I’m not so comfortable looking only at the score the entire time. I’ve been a fret off more than once trying to solo from a chart I never saw before, so I’ve avoided trying to do so. I got away with it for many years, but it’s never too late to learn to do it right.

So, as I said, this is something I really want to learn to do, and there’s no time like the present. I’m learning the changes to MN and will post a second take played the way I’ve always done it. I tried taping the sheet to my desk where I could glance at it quickly - but at that tempo, I still had a bit of trouble finding the right bar on the score fast enough to stay on my line.

There’s always more to learn. But no matter where I think I am on the journey, my destination always seems further ahead than my origin is behind me.

User Info Menu

I couldn’t play this tune at sight at fast tempo, although at a medium tempo I could probably just about put together something halfway acceptable. I had to ‘internalise’ the changes before I could play it at the proper tempo.

User Info Menu

Rags: A valiant, if deliberate, effort with the thumb. Fellas: let's take up a collection to buy the man a pick, or maybe some more fingers. What do you guys use for money over there these days? Still farthings? I pledge a farthing.

Trips: Congratulations on your appointment to the Beaumont Chair in Juvenile Jazz Interruption. You're doing the prior incumbent proud. I especially like the move where you flip the toy open without missing a beat. Otherwise, pretty strong effort, especially in terms of time and rhythm.

Kris: Both takes are cool, but I like the second take a lot, especially the last chorus. That flowed really well.

NeverNever: You were just reading that for the first time and trying to make the changes without knowing the tune at all? If so, good on you. You kept it together quite well.

Graham: Great stuff. I really like the variation in phrase lengths, overall flow, and the way you're rock solid wit the time.

Not that anyone's asking (or should even listen to what I have to say on the subject), but I for one can't play this tune if I'm thinking about hitting every chord explicitly. I reduce the A section to a series of targets (Eb, Db, Ab, Gb). I have shedded the changes explicitly over the years, so I do have some muscle memory of hitting chord tones in each measure. But the changes blow by so fast that I can't hit them all if I'm thinking about it. So I focus more on shapes of phrases than the actual notes and on time, except for making sure to catch something of the V7-I's that happen in each 4 bar section. In between those points, almost any notes are OK as long as the phrase makes some sort of internal and rhythmic sense and I hit the modulation targets (ish). I still get my butt kicked, but I manage to land a few blows.
    Last edited by John A.; 04-26-2022 at 02:55 PM.

User Info Menu

I for one can't play this tune if I'm thinking about hitting every chord explicitly. I reduce the A section as a series of targets (Eb, Db, Ab, Gb)... So I focus more on shapes of phrases than the actual notes and time, except for making sure to catch something of the V7-I's that happen in each 4 bar section.
    That's how I've gotten by all these years. But I' ve always wanted to be able to sight read a complex chart and hope someday to be good enough to do it. I get by because I know so many tunes that I rarely need a score, and it helps to be fronting my own group For example, I was able to back 11 vocalists I've rarely worked with using their charts a few weeks ago at a concert, only because I knew a lot of the tunes and the originals were bare chord sheets and very simple.

The main reason I decided not to pursue a full time career in music when I was in college was that i knew I wasn't good enough to walk into a studio and play whatever they put in front of me well enough to be called back for another session. In the 1960s, studio time cost a fortune and a clam could cost the producers and sponsors thousands of dollars - thre were no "digital aids". A classmate's father was a top NY studio piano player (Stan Free) who did Canada Dry commercials and was a first call for Rudy Van Gelder. He was the one who set me straight about what it took to be a top performer and earner. So I pursued a decent day gig and have played out continuosly, but with the cushion of a regular job to support my habit (and my family).

Yes, I was lazy. I never found out if I could become that good, and I never came close because of it. But we live in hope!
    Last edited by nevershouldhavesoldit; 04-25-2022 at 07:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I couldn’t play this tune at sight at fast tempo, although at a medium tempo I could probably just about put together something halfway acceptable. I had to ‘internalise’ the changes before I could play it at the proper tempo.
    This is what I meant when listening to other recordings.
    In my case, I practice at a slow tempo first and then try to play faster.
    Last edited by kris; 04-26-2022 at 01:13 AM.

User Info Menu

Kris: Both takes are cool, but I like the second take a lot, especially the last chorus. That flowed really well.
    Thanks.
    I don't like my recordings for many reasons.
    Coltrane is not easy and requires a lot of commitment and jazz knowledge.
    I just didn't practice this tune enough.
    Do it in a week, I don't think it's possible.

User Info Menu

Here's an arrangement, head only though, I'll try to do a take for improv as well .. haven't played that tune in years..

I like all these Coltrane tunes, but they have to literally be practiced for months to play them .. unless you're Kenny Drew that is..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Here's an arrangement, head only though, I'll try to do a take for improv as well .. haven't played that tune in years..

I like all these Coltrane tunes, but they have to literally be practiced for months to play them .. unless you're Kenny Drew that is..

Nice.
    I agree in 100%.