The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 85 of 85

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    my wife gets impatient if I take too long when we’re out somewhere!
    Oh yes - that's ruined many a trip over the years! Fortunately, I discovered the Sony RX100 when they first came out and rarely take my serious camera anywhere now.

I've always found photography to enhance and expand my approach to playing. The books of Herman Leonard and Milt Hinton have been my favorites for many years. I carry the RX with me on gigs and often shoot from the stand. Here are a few from a series I did entitled "Chops" (which is truly on topic here, since I took them all 'round midnight...)

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 66) - Round Midnight-drum-chops-2-jpg

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 66) - Round Midnight-guitarchops-jpg

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 66) - Round Midnight-tenor-_face-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I know I'm late but I wanted to share this, with an amp it would be better.
    I'm only using the bridge pickup, why not ?
    Well, as you know I'm just stumbling and noodling, I love this expression !
    I've gotten inspired by some people.

You can comment if you want, the sound is still muddy, I think getting a little amp : HoTone Nano Legacy or Joyo BanTamP (what do you think about them ?)...

User Info Menu

^ That was the best I've heard you play. It didn't sound like noodling to me. I think rhythmic facility and good phrasing count for a lot. So keep at it and work in more ideas if you view it as 'noodling' to you, I think you're on the right track with that.

I like my Hotone Siva Boogie. I actually use it as a low powered amp for my Leslie Speaker and my Hammond. I wouldn't be able to say if it would be fat enough for jazz guitar unless you use an eq. If you eq it, it will certainly work well, if not, you might need tricks up your sleeve for getting your jazz sound or you might not, I don't know. They're amazing amps tho. Cheap, little, and good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    ^ That was the best I've heard you play. It didn't sound like noodling to me. I think rhythmic facility and good phrasing count for a lot. So keep at it and work in more ideas if you view it as 'noodling' to you, I think you're on the right track with that.

I like my Hotone Siva Boogie. I actually use it as a low powered amp for my Leslie Speaker and my Hammond. I wouldn't be able to say if it would be fat enough for jazz guitar unless you use an eq. If you eq it, it will certainly work well, if not, you might need tricks up your sleeve for getting your jazz sound or you might not, I don't know. They're amazing amps tho. Cheap, little, and good.
    Thanks for your comment, I was just playing without thinking about I was doing, I may say, kind of mechanical.

About HoTone, I was thinking about this one or this one.

User Info Menu

What are you going to use the amp for? General / rock playing or jazz playing? My suggestions are to just listen to all the demos you can and make your pick. They're all quite different. Some are low gain and some are higher gain. I don't have either of those so can't comment on them. They'll get you a great rock tone at low volume as is. But you might have to use an eq to get the bass needed for jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    What are you going to use the amp for? General / rock playing or jazz playing? My suggestions are to just listen to all the demos you can and make your pick. They're all quite different. Some are low gain and some are higher gain. I don't have either of those so can't comment on them. They'll get you a great rock tone at low volume as is. But you might have to use an eq to get the bass needed for jazz.
    I don't play rock anymore, I want something that breathes at low volume.
    I play with a Line6 Spider II 112 (75 W), it's a nice amp but it's heavy (weight), I can't have an intermediate sound, it sounds good at 10 and 12 o' clock volume but it's too loud and aggressive.
    I don't play in stadiums, only at small receptions.
    I've seen a lot of demos but they are not significant.
    When I was looking for my 7 string guitar, that was the case too until I bought it and began making my "demos".
    Last edited by Lionelsax; 04-24-2022 at 06:54 AM.

User Info Menu

It does breathe at low volume. They're just kind of thin for rock. Use an eq and it will allow syrupy jazz tones. Go for one of the low gain models.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Outstanding!

User Info Menu

You can't afford to miss a moment of this :-)