The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 85

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    When in doubt, steal / learn from Wes!
    Well, yes, there is that :-)

They say this is one of the most recorded tunes in jazz history (or something) and I know why. No one gets it right the first time

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very nice Graham!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 0zoro
    Very nice Graham!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks! I was thinking of doing another one, but I don’t know if it would sound much different. Anyway I’ve been out and about all this week.

I like the Doug Raney version, just guitar bass and drums, I’d probably do it like that if I did it again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    We use a computer and a sound card that has a preamplifier in it.
    We record without using a microphone and a guitar amplifier with sound correction.
    But I use the Shadow preamp cable to connect to the USB sound card....so I'm not sure if this can be called "direct recording"?
    I’ve posted this before, this is a genuinely direct recording. It’s just my 175 plugged straight into a little Korg recorder, no preamp, amp, computer, amp sims, etc. All I added afterwards was a bit of reverb.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I’ve posted this before, this is a genuinely direct recording. It’s just my 175 plugged straight into a little Korg recorder, no preamp, amp, computer, amp sims, etc. All I added afterwards was a bit of reverb.
    That sounds great. I don't record direct very often, but almost always need to apply some EQ to tame the boomy archtop low-end.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Here's my take:
    nice thumb-work there and Wes-like phrasing.

User Info Menu

Nice sound and playing.
    I was recording an electro-classical guitar/ in the studio/ that had a piezo and pre-amp inside.
    The recording was straight to the mixing console.
    Does it qualify as direct recording?

User Info Menu

There is no direct answer to this conundrum.

User Info Menu

We use a computer and a sound card that has a preamplifier in it.
    We record without using a microphone and a guitar amplifier with sound correction.
    But I use the Shadow preamp cable to connect to the USB sound card....so I'm not sure if this can be called "direct recording"?
    I would call that direct recording. I think of any method other than mic'ing an amp (or an acoustic instrument) as direct recording.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I would call that direct recording. I think of any method other than mic'ing an amp (or an acoustic instrument) as direct recording.
    I think so too ... but my electro-classical guitar also has an extra small microphone inside.
    You can mix piezo sounds with the internal microphone or not.
    Maybe the term 'direct recording' is not so obvious and precise in today's recording technology.
    What is the name of recording an acoustic guitar through a microphone directly into a tape recorder?
    Last edited by kris; 04-21-2022 at 04:21 AM.

User Info Menu

My last blast before we move on, slower this time.

User Info Menu

A very interesting 1967 version of Miles.
    is it a jazz ballad?

User Info Menu

Found time to do one this morning.

User Info Menu

I think so too ... but my electro-classical guitar also has an extra small microphone inside.
    You can mix piezo sounds with the internal microphone or not.
    Maybe the term 'direct recording' is not so obvious and precise in today's recording technology.
    What is the name of recording an acoustic guitar through a microphone directly into a tape recorder?
    I think the adjective "direct" refers to whatever it is plugged into the console or digital audio interface. If you're mic'ing an acoustic guitar or an amp, you are sending the mic's signal, not the guitar signal, "directly" into the audio interface or tape machine. There will be a mic preamp involved within the audio interface or analog console, so if we're splitting hairs, as we seem to be, "direct" is kind of a misnomer anyways.

I've read about how, in the good old pure analog days, Jimmy Page would sometimes record by plugging his guitar "directly" into the console. However, the recording console channel would have an analog preamp that presumably could be driven into clipping. In the era of digital recording, I think for most purposes "direct" guitar recording means connecting a guitar to the digital audio interface or analog console with merely a guitar cable in between. Guitar --> cable --> interface. Once the signal is in the DAW, you can apply amp sims, effects, etc., but technically the guitar itself was recorded "directly."

If, instead of a guitar cable connecting the guitar to the interface's input, there is a microphone capturing the guitar's sound—whether placed in front of an amp, or pointing at an acoustic, or picking up vibrations from the guitar's body—I would say this doesn't qualify as "direct recording" of a guitar signal. You can also send the line out (not speaker out....bad) of an amp "directly" to the audio interface and record the amp's signal "directly." If you know what you're doing, you can then process the amp's signal in the DAW with an impulse response and you'll have a pretty nice sounding recording without having to futz with microphone placement.
    Last edited by wzpgsr; 04-21-2022 at 11:01 AM.

User Info Menu

I had a classical guitar a long time ago with a pickup mounted inside under the bridge, which was basically an excellent microphone.I "recorded directly" via the cable to the console in the studio.
    It sounded very good.

User Info Menu

Very cool and interesting ideas.
    Thanks very much, I am using both pickups on the Harley Benton.
    That's an interesting sound.
    There is no amp.
    Last edited by Lionelsax; 04-21-2022 at 03:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Great stuff Graham - excellent tone/feel. However, I was not aware previously of your photographic prowess - some really nice work there on flicker. Of the locations, I am particularly aware of Derbyshire ( lived there for fifteen years ) and Suffolk. You have captured the 'sense of place' nicely in both locations. Evocative.

David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat
    Great stuff Graham - excellent tone/feel. However, I was not aware previously of your photographic prowess - some really nice work there on flicker. Of the locations, I am particularly aware of Derbyshire ( lived there for fifteen years ) and Suffolk. You have captured the 'sense of place' nicely in both locations. Evocative.

David
    Thanks David. My dad and grandad were keen photographers, so I got interested when I was young and I’ve always done a bit of photography when I got the chance. We used to go on holiday to Derbyshire quite often when the kids were young, it wasn’t too far to drive and the Peak District is a great place. My in-laws used to live on the Suffolk coast, so we stayed there a lot during school holidays and got to know the area well. Since then we’ve tended to go back to Suffolk for a holiday most years. So all those photos were taken during those trips.

When I’m not playing the guitar, I’m usually out walking somewhere with my camera. Today I was among the bluebells (at Emmetts, near Sevenoaks).

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 66) - Round Midnight-c03a95ab-c25f-4569-b18b-b4bbd74673bc-jpg

User Info Menu

That's really interesting Graham - your photography is certainly on a par with your work with the 175! Or should that be the other way around? Thorpe Cloud was particulary resonant since we lived in Thorpe for 13 years. Aldborough was a favourite holiday venue for almost as long.

Keep up the good work. They do say by the way as I'm sure you know that every emerging British schoolboy wanted to be - Eric Clapton or................David Bailey! So, Strats and Hasselblads.

David
    Last edited by blackcat; 04-22-2022 at 07:49 AM.

User Info Menu

Haha thanks. To be honest I’m not one of those really serious types with expensive gear who takes all day to get a shot, I haven’t got time for that (and my wife gets impatient if I take too long when we’re out somewhere!). I just have a good compact (panasonic lumix) and I use it on auto settings (though I do understand the techy stuff, the cameras I had as a kid were all manual so my dad taught me all that stuff, also I used to help him developing and printing black and white photos in the darkroom).

I think the main thing is to know what makes a good composition looking through the viewfinder, that’s all I think about and I think I have developed that ability with experience over the years.

Maybe there is a connection with having a feel for music, I don’t know. But there have been quite a few jazz musicians who liked photography, as far as I know.

User Info Menu

Slightly more on topic, my jazz pics may be of interest:

Flickr

User Info Menu

Slightly more on topic, my jazz pics may be of interest:

Flickr
    There are a lot of BiG Stars.

User Info Menu

Yes that was in the days when a jazz festival really meant what it said.

User Info Menu

Worked with 5x4 Linhofs and other amazing gear over a wide range of semi-pro assignments over many years, but now comes down to....................Panasonic Lumix LX100. Amazing piece of kit. And like you Graham, my dad taught me processing in a home darkroom and all the technical stuff including the Zone System and more and you know what, like you I work in program mode or fully auto much of the time preferring to concentrate on composition.

Back to the music - your jazz images are excellent. Good point about festivals. Here in France, even Marciac and Nice are diluting definitions.

David

User Info Menu

Anthony Wilson to name but one: