The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 85

User Info Menu

Good job everyone, I enjoyed them. A slow pass thru the tune in D- with intro and coda.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Right on time ...

User Info Menu

Graham your hired Franks coffee bar 10 shillings a gig...skiffle group is on after you.Tommy Steel is in it.....lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat
    Tommo,

Always loved your tone ( and playing ) on this one. What amp were you using? Was that before the changes you made to the Eastman?

Regards,

David
    Hi David. No amp here: guitar direct into the Tascam GT1 - clean setting with a tad of reverb. Guitar was still bone stock then. Cheers!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voxo
    Graham your hired Franks coffee bar 10 shillings a gig...skiffle group is on after you.Tommy Steel is in it.....lol
    Thanks, although it wasn’t that long ago!

As I recall I spent a long time first playing the tune along with the backing track (probably an Aebersold) before I dared to make the video, so I could play it well enough.

User Info Menu

Coming back to the discussion about Monk and Miles, I wonder how such great individuals collaborated and got along during the recording of the album " MILES DAVIS and the Modern Jazz Giants"...?
    Miles Davis - trumpet
    Milt Jackson - vibraphone
    Thelonious Monk - piano
    Percy Heath - bass
    Kenny Clarke - drums
    Recorded in New York, December 24, 1954

I was 15 days old then.

User Info Menu

I think that might be the recording where at one point, Miles shouts at Monk to lay out (he didn’t like Monk’s comping apparently!).

User Info Menu

Ian Carr writes in his Miles Davis biography that Miles and Monk didn’t get on at all during these sessions, and that the record company thought it was a good idea to pair the two. He doesn’t rate the recording very highly, either.

BTW Dizzy claims in his autobiography to have written the intro to Round Midnight, and that Miles never got it right.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Here's a solo play through i did a while back..

User Info Menu

I recorded my version today, I found some cool chords in the book with Monk's compositions - probably similar to his performances.My guitar sounds pretty good in the lower register and is a bit like the Wes Montgomery L5 sound.

Box

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I think that might be the recording where at one point, Miles shouts at Monk to lay out (he didn’t like Monk’s comping apparently!).
    Explosive mixture.
    Attachment 90615
    I don't know in what years Miles practiced boxing ...
    Last edited by kris; 04-15-2022 at 11:47 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    Ian Carr writes in his Miles Davis biography that Miles and Monk didn’t get on at all during these sessions, and that the record company thought it was a good idea to pair the two. He doesn’t rate the recording very highly, either.
    Miles says in his autobiography that he didn't like Monk's comping behind his solos and told him to lay out. He contradicts rumors that they didn't get along personally and insists they were close friends. He may not be the most reliable reporter of fact, though..

User Info Menu

These are two fresh takes, on the sofa, I am playing my first guitar...

User Info Menu

Well, I get bored with long public holidays so I've messed with this a bit. Hope I don't meet Monk. 'Hey, you're the guy who fooled with my TOON!'. But you never know, he might like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Explosive mixture.
    Attachment 90615
    I don't know in what years Miles practiced boxing ...
    Here you go.

Miles Davis Was a Boxing Fan | BoxingInsider.com

User Info Menu

This is my last take...
    I recorded the 7 string guitar first then the other one.

User Info Menu

Lots of nice takes this week, and some old faces have returned. Here's my take:

(realizing now the audio and video are not well-synced...)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    This is my last take...
    I recorded the 7 string guitar first then the other one.
    Very cool and interesting ideas.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Lots of nice takes this week, and some old faces have returned. Here's my take:

(realizing now the audio and video are not well-synced...)

Hofner Chancellor
    Archtop-exelent sound.
    Cool sparing solo - glues well with backing track.
    Very jazzy phrasing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Here's a solo play through i did a while back..

A beautiful version of jazz solo guitar.
    Great playing.
    The quality of the recording is a bit annoying to me when listening to it, i.e. a distorted sound and an ungrounded guitar.
    Or it's my sound card and speakers ... not sure.

User Info Menu

Hi, wzpgsr, some nice variations on the tune there!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Hi, wzpgsr, some nice variations on the tune there!
    When in doubt, steal / learn from Wes!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    So it's off to an early start? Since it's the Easter weekend from tomorrow on that's fitting. Haven't participated for a while now but I have an older clip as well. This is from 2017 and was meant to demo my then new Eastman guitar:

It is unbelievable, that we are all looking for ultimate amp, mic, cabinet, software, effect, modeller, etc... and this is the direct guitar output to recorder, and sounds amazing. (If I understand correctly)

User Info Menu

Direct recording from a decent archtop guitar seems to work well, that’s always been my experience.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Direct recording from a decent archtop guitar seems to work well, that’s always been my experience.
    We use a computer and a sound card that has a preamplifier in it.
    We record without using a microphone and a guitar amplifier with sound correction.
    But I use the Shadow preamp cable to connect to the USB sound card....so I'm not sure if this can be called "direct recording"?