The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 86 of 86

User Info Menu

When playing with backing tracks, I can be sure that no one will make a mistake.
    Various strange things happen in real jam sessions...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Practicing and playing with distractions...now there's a topic I'm actually an expert on
    Playing through distractions is highly important. This is because live performance is almost nothing but distractions. I practice while reading stuff on the computer and whatnot. You have to divide your attention, to a degree - part of your mind handles playing the song, another part keeps an eye on that brooding guy in the back, another part appreciates the moves of the dancers in the front, anther part is waiting for the nod from the leader that says, "You're up. Don't blow it!" it's complicated.

User Info Menu

emanresu -

Has 'soft' been properly defined yet? What do you actually mean by that?

(I think you mean that certain chords with added or altered voicings are hard to distinguish. Would that be right?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Playing through distractions is highly important. This is because live performance is almost nothing but distractions. I practice while reading stuff on the computer and whatnot. You have to divide your attention, to a degree - part of your mind handles playing the song, another part keeps an eye on that brooding guy in the back, another part appreciates the moves of the dancers in the front, anther part is waiting for the nod from the leader that says, "You're up. Don't blow it!" it's complicated.
    +1
    This is it.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    emanresu -

Has 'soft' been properly defined yet? What do you actually mean by that?

(I think you mean that certain chords with added or altered voicings are hard to distinguish. Would that be right?)
    Soft---may be software.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    I remember learning a few songs well and when played in a band, it felt like swimming in a marshmallow soup.

Am I the only one with this problem?
    No. Count me in as another one who thinks chord extensions and substitutions don't bring that much to the table.

We may be a minority within the community of jazz enthusiasts, though!

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    I sometimes feel that the soft notes are distracting

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Howzabopping
    No. Count me in as another one who thinks chord extensions and substitutions don't bring that much to the table.
    I would meet you halfway on that. I love the different flavour that an added note, or a good sub can bring to a tune, but, and I think this is what the OP is getting at, it's possible to go way too far. I don't think of it as marshmallow, I think it can be like wading through treacle.

That's the damn thing about jazz...it's ear music, but you gotta work that ear pretty hard before it can truly be so.

So here's the million dollar question...how many tunes have you learned?
    The ear is key! I try to work on improving it each and every day!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by seventhchord251
    The ear is key! I try to work on improving it each and every day!

User Info Menu

That's the damn thing about jazz...it's ear music, but you gotta work that ear pretty hard before it can truly be so.

So here's the million dollar question...how many tunes have you learned?
    To those who want to learn to play jazz, I say. "Learn songs." You are what you play. Your song list is your musical identity. All you need to know is in the songs. Learn songs!