The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 86

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I have a different opinion on backing tracks.
    If they are very well recorded and correctly, it's a pleasure to practice with them.
    It's not true that good musicians don't practice with backing tracks.You need to know what to practice and how to make noticeable progress in the playing ...
    I agree with this...but I'd also add--you might need to be a pretty good musician to really get something out of practicing with tracks.

I say this because I can tell you for a FACT that if I practice too much with tracks, I can hear all sorts of problems coming up in my playing when I listen back

Or maybe that IS me getting something out of playing with tracks (head explodes)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I agree with this...but I'd also add--you might need to be a pretty good musician to really get something out of practicing with tracks.

I say this because I can tell you for a FACT that if I practice too much with tracks, I can hear all sorts of problems coming up in my playing when I listen back

Or maybe that IS me getting something out of playing with tracks (head explodes)
    There is only one recipe: practise a lot and play with those who are better than you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voxo
    "You will not learn anything about feel from Band in a Box what crap.....ask jimmy Bruno...BB even hired pat martino and mike moreno...lots other bignames..
    I don’t care who BB hired. Listen to what the players say.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Interesting take. FWIW I actually do practice things I know without backing tracks, because I can hear the harmony in my head and I can sort of tell how extensions and alterations sound against the the "imagined" harmony in said head. But here's the thing, how I got to that point was by drilling as many ideas as I could think of against thousands of choruses of backing tracked tunes. Without doing that first for a long time there was no way of really hearing more obscure but cool voice leading in my lines. I needed to hear the tension / release thing against some sound, not just trying to hear it in my head when I couldn't really.

So if anything, for myself at least, I'd say it makes more sense to practice with backing tracks, and play tunes I can hear in my head without them. But probably not before...

Hmm, there are too many ways to skin the cat i suppose, and I'd never insist what works for me should work for others. Hence I find it a little offensive when even experienced educators like to insist that there's a one size fits all solution to learning Jazz. You've read "Thinking In Jazz", all the greats found different paths up the Jazz mountain, and while they had no choice in their day but to have to play with recordings and people, my firm bet is that many of them would have loved the opportunity to use many of the various learning aids we have today if they were available back then.

If a teacher today thinks their student's progress is stunted due to practicing with backing tracks, how can they be sure it's not due to any one of thousands of other possible reasons! (including inappropriate or ineffective teaching methods)...
    Because for the simple reason that it is often hard to get students to play or practice without backing. So it becomes a crutch.

i don’t care too much what people do if they aren’t reliant on it.

if you are jamming with a backing track and killing it I don’t care. If not it covers up a multitude of problems that are best addressed away from backing tracks in lessons and practice.

User Info Menu

"Clean up in aisle five...."

User Info Menu

There is only one recipe: practise a lot and play with those who are better than you.
    I'm at that fun point in my playing where beginners think I'm too good to be playing with them and good players know much, much better than to want to play with me

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    I don’t care who BB hired. Listen to what the players say.
    BB is a great sofware. I am player.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Because for the simple reason that it is often hard to get students to play or practice without backing. So it becomes a crutch.

Recalling my days teaching from the back of a music store, it was often hard to get students to just practice! If BIAB was around back then, more of them might have actually learned to be good players.

If you wanna be the next Pat Metheny, then yeah, make it hard for yourself and don't use any crutches. But backing tracks will be useful to the greater majority of players, all styles, all levels. And yes, they may cause some unwanted habits (all addressable down the track). But they'll also get into the very desirable habit of practicing! Which easily forgives all sins.

Honestly, I can't fathom why there seems to be such a pushback by some guys. Jealousy perhaps (that they never had it so easy?)...

User Info Menu

I can tell you for a FACT that if I practice too much with tracks, I can hear all sorts of problems coming up in my playing when I listen back
    I can tell you for a fact that whenever I listen to any recordings of my playing, I hear all sorts of problems. Since I got a little digital recorder and have been recording every show we do for the last few months, I've alternated between being highly motivated to improve and being severely depressed over not having improved.

Even our Virtual Jam subforum has been eye opening. I've followed the guidelines to lay down unrehearsed takes of the tunes of the week, and the results have been educational to say the least. But moving away from what I'm accustomed to playing has been beneficial in many ways (once I learned to live with the smell of bad clams). Yesterday, I took a pass at playing the jam song of the week (Gerry Mulligan's "Cat Walk") gypsy style. I've always loved listening to guys like Joscho Stephan and Birelli Lagrene (yes, and Django), but I'd never actually tried to do it myself. Oy vey!! But there are a few licks hidden in my poorly disguised and quite ordinary jazz runs that are truly in the gypsy style. So I'm motivated and will hopefully improve with time.........lots and lots of time!

Is jazz (sometimes) too soft?-faucet_dripping-gif

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Recalling my days teaching from the back of a music store, it was often hard to get students to just practice! If BIAB was around back then, more of them might have actually learned to be good players.

If you wanna be the next Pat Metheny, then yeah, make it hard for yourself and don't use any crutches. But backing tracks will be useful to the greater majority of players, all styles, all levels. And yes, they may cause some unwanted habits (all addressable down the track). But they'll also get into the very desirable habit of practicing! Which easily forgives all sins.

Honestly, I can't fathom why there seems to be such a pushback by some guys. Jealousy perhaps (that they never had it so easy?)...
    Bloody hell I’m not THAT old

User Info Menu

I'm definitely not anti-track. What I'm saying is, if I spend a lot of time playing with them, I do notice that I can start "coasting" a bit more than I want to...playing around key centers too much and not highlighting enough tension/resolution. Getting "noodley."

Of course, the opposite is playing without any kind of backing and over-chasing changes because you're trying to force the harmony to be heard clearly. I do that do.

Damn, I need a few extra lifetimes for this jazz shit.

User Info Menu

I'm sort of trolling here, but Charles Mingus re-recorded his bass for the Massey Hall recordings with Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Bud Powell, and Max Roach. That's a hell of a backing track.

User Info Menu

I'm definitely not anti-track. What I'm saying is, if I spend a lot of time playing with them, I do notice that I can start "coasting" a bit more than I want to...playing around key centers too much and not highlighting enough tension/resolution. Getting "noodley."

Of course, the opposite is playing without any kind of backing and over-chasing changes because you're trying to force the harmony to be heard clearly. I do that do.

Damn, I need a few extra lifetimes for this jazz shit.
    I just gotta say that I felt my playing only really started to improve after you started the Virtual Jam threads (thanks for that...always appreciative of your efforts there) in which we all almost exclusively play over backing tracks. Could be like standardized test prep, though: you practice taking tests, you get better at taking tests. I know from experience that what I am able to pull off doing repeated takes against a backing track doesn't always translate into improvising deftly over single on-the-spot chorus in an environment with other live musicians. But I also know that a backing track kind of forces you to learn and practice an entire tune, rather than just playing the first 4 bars over and over again and never really getting anywhere.

User Info Menu

I think everything has its place. Practice alone with just a metronome, so you get a feel for supporting changes and perfect time. Play with drum genius, so it resembles a drummer. Play with backing tracks so it's like a band introduction, minus the interaction, record with a looper, practice with CDs so you jam with the masters feel and language, play with other people. To mix everything is the best solution.

The weirdest i've heard is something David Liebman used to do: to work on concentration, he used to practice with irrelevant music on, he would have a CD playing and practice something else over it!! I guess his book on chromaticism makes sense now!! Haha i think i have played a gig under these conditions, a brazilian music date in a multi-room club, i remember a frustrated singer asking us to do the second set instrumental..!

User Info Menu

Band in The Box is the best software for learning jazz.
    This is also some kind of metronome but it's more fun to practice .
    I have known this software / BB / since its birth.
    Me too, however I recently switched to JJazzLab. Simpler but very capable for backing tracks, and somehow I like the Yamaha styles better than BIAB styles. Happily JJazzLab reads/imports all the stuff I created in BIAB

User Info Menu

Apparently Glenn Gould used to practise Bach on the piano with a vacuum-cleaner running in the room, he said it helped him concentrate (!).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Apparently Glenn Gould used to practise Bach on the piano with a vacuum-cleaner running in the room, he said it helped him concentrate (!).
    Unfortunately, the result was him humming like a vacuum cleaner on his recordings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Unfortunately, the result was him humming like a vacuum cleaner on his recordings.
    That sucks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Or he was just very nice for the wife who cleaned.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    Trying to lear Angel Eyes well enough. Then was away from home and put some random -1 from Youtube.... The "bluesiness" went completely out of the window.
    My Improvisation on Angel Eyes:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter

The weirdest i've heard is something David Liebman used to do: to work on concentration, he used to practice with irrelevant music on, he would have a CD playing and practice something else over it!! I guess his book on chromaticism makes sense now!! Haha i think i have played a gig under these conditions, a brazilian music date in a multi-room club, i remember a frustrated singer asking us to do the second set instrumental..!

Practicing and playing with distractions...now there's a topic I'm actually an expert on

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    mouahahahahah

is it the same model that Elvin Jones or Oscar Peterson were using ?

And Keith Jarret seemed to have a good one too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    I just gotta say that I felt my playing only really started to improve after you started the Virtual Jam threads (thanks for that...always appreciative of your efforts there) in which we all almost exclusively play over backing tracks. Could be like standardized test prep, though: you practice taking tests, you get better at taking tests. I know from experience that what I am able to pull off doing repeated takes against a backing track doesn't always translate into improvising deftly over single on-the-spot chorus in an environment with other live musicians. But I also know that a backing track kind of forces you to learn and practice an entire tune, rather than just playing the first 4 bars over and over again and never really getting anywhere.
    Well, thanks for that. I'm truly glad it was useful.

It's funny how many people questioned the intentions of that project...it was just a way to hear a bunch of people play the same song, and it was spawned from pandemic burnout...not being able to go see live music or play with other people. I literally got private messages from people--who never participated-- saying "how can you call that a jam? There's no interaction" and worse. I mean...of course there was no interaction...maybe I should have called it the virtual not a jam.

It was, however, during the initial run of that project that I found myself using tracks more than usual, and there were some things I started to hear in my playing I didn't love. BUT, I also learned a bunch of new tunes, got better at my "internalize a tune quickly" method, and forced myself to put some rough early takes out there as a learning experience, so overall, I felt the good FAR outweighed the bad.

User Info Menu

As a newcomer to the forum, it's been my favourite set of threads.

User Info Menu

Well, thanks for that. I'm truly glad it was useful.

It's funny how many people questioned the intentions of that project...it was just a way to hear a bunch of people play the same song, and it was spawned from pandemic burnout...not being able to go see live music or play with other people. I literally got private messages from people--who never participated-- saying "how can you call that a jam? There's no interaction" and worse. I mean...of course there was no interaction...maybe I should have called it the virtual not a jam.

It was, however, during the initial run of that project that I found myself using tracks more than usual, and there were some things I started to hear in my playing I didn't love. BUT, I also learned a bunch of new tunes, got better at my "internalize a tune quickly" method, and forced myself to put some rough early takes out there as a learning experience, so overall, I felt the good FAR outweighed the bad.
    If not for the jam threads I probably wouldn't have stumbled onto Mr. Sunnybass, so that makes it worth the price of admission for me. Beyond that, picking up a bunch of new tunes was great, and for me too it reinforced methods of doing so relatively quickly. I agree that playing over backing tracks can get kind of stiff, especially in the way they lull one into straight 1/8's auto-pilot and laziness about time. But once you recognize it you can work against it. Nothing beats playing with real people in the real world, though. If one doesn't have access to other players, one makes do with tracks. I get that. But if one has access to that and stays away from it in favor of playing with backing tracks, that's a mistake.