Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 59

User Info Menu

This one's from Triple.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 64) - Punjab-punjab-forum-2-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Don't know about you but this one looks tricky to me

Has anyone got a lead sheet? I can't find one. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Has anyone got a lead sheet? I can't find one. Thanks.
    NewReal 3, p 297

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 64) - Punjab-punjab-jpg
    Last edited by nevershouldhavesoldit; 04-01-2022 at 04:13 PM. Reason: added a better copy of the sheet

User Info Menu

Thanks, never, that's a neat 2-page paste. Appreciated.

Not an easy tune, I reckon. Still, where there's a will :-)

User Info Menu

It might be an idea in future to post an effective example of the week's tune. So here's Joe!

User Info Menu

And here's a guitar-based version by Kurt Rosenwinkel for comparison.

User Info Menu

Well, with apologies to Triple, I'm not going to work out the head of this tune, it's far too complicated for me and I'll never play it, so...! But here's the solo section from DM7 to CM7b5 x3. I'm afraid that'll have to do. Probably you guys can make something much better of it.

User Info Menu

Well, with apologies to Triple, I'm not going to work out the head of this tune, it's far too complicated for me and I'll never play it, so...! But here's the solo section from DM7 to CM7b5 x3. I'm afraid that'll have to do. Probably you guys can make something much better of it.

Don’t worry about the head, even if I find a minute to do this one at all it won’t include the head either! Nice job on the improv for this one.

User Info Menu

I’ll have to shed those chords a bit...

In the meantime here’s a nice guitar version I found:

User Info Menu

I like that version:

Something a little bit more electronic:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mayrandp
    I like that version:
    Yes...Jesse...He made a CD with the music of Joe Hendreson.Top shelf in jazz guitar music.
    Attachment 90245

User Info Menu

Yes it’s quite tricky, but I’m getting into this tune, really interesting melody, rhythmic hits, and chord changes. So thanks to Triple Jazz for picking that, I would never have tackled this tune otherwise.

I have almost got the melody down and I am getting there on the changes. Actually quite surprised how well it’s going (so far...)

Jesse van Ruller is fantastic, I would love to play like that. Love the way he integrates the chords seamlessly into his solo.

User Info Menu

Not sure why it's called Punjab, it's not the slightest bit Indian. Or maybe it is, I don't know :-)

This is worth a read.

Joe Henderson: Sudden Sensation After 30 Years - Los Angeles Times

User Info Menu

No, it’s not exactly a jam session tune. Punjab and the whole In N Out album is in my top five favorite of all time and wanted to show it some love. Here’s a killing version I found some time ago.

User Info Menu

Not sure why it's called Punjab, it's not the slightest bit Indian. Or maybe it is, I don't know :-)

This is worth a read.

Joe Henderson: Sudden Sensation After 30 Years - Los Angeles Times
    Maybe he just wanted a vaguely ‘exotic’ title, that happens quite often.

That article says he was planning Tadd Dameron and Bud Powell tribute albums, unfortunately they never happened. I’ve got most of his late Verve albums and they are all great.

I saw him at Ronnie Scotts once and he played all his classic tunes, I wouldn’t be surprised if Punjab was one of them. (I can remember Recorda-me but that’s all).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Maybe he just wanted a vaguely ‘exotic’ title, that happens quite often.
    I expect so. I once did a thing called Bolsover Road. Same idea, probably :-)

User Info Menu

Triple -

Good vid. Bet their parents don't understand their music

User Info Menu

I expect so. I once did a thing called Bolsover Road. Same idea, probably :-)
    And I expect it didn’t sound influenced by the indigenous music and culture of Bolsover.

User Info Menu

Triple -

Good vid. Bet their parents don't understand their music
    They don’t have parents. They all grew in a vat.

User Info Menu

And I expect it didn’t sound influenced by the indigenous music and culture of Bolsover.
    Oh, I don't know, it was all in Locrian :-)

User Info Menu

Yes it’s quite tricky, but I’m getting into this tune, really interesting melody, rhythmic hits, and chord changes. So thanks to Triple Jazz for picking that, I would never have tackled this tune otherwise.

I have almost got the melody down and I am getting there on the changes. Actually quite surprised how well it’s going (so far...)

Jesse van Ruller is fantastic, I would love to play like that. Love the way he integrates the chords seamlessly into his solo.
    I tried to play it today ... you're right it's not difficult and it fits together easily.
    Note - the form is 18 bars.
    Last edited by kris; 04-03-2022 at 05:29 AM.

User Info Menu

Yes, the hard bit for me is remembering which chords last for 1 bar, 2 bars, etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Yes...Jesse...He made a CD with the music of Joe Hendreson.Top shelf in jazz guitar music.
    Attachment 90245
    I would love to listen to that album but it seems hard to find!
    Last edited by mayrandp; 04-03-2022 at 12:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Yea... you all sure pick some tough tunes...LOL.

I have an old recording from mid 70's while I was at Berklee... kids at college, anyway one of the ensembles I played in did a bunch of Joe's tunes and recorded the session. It was a very different time, LOL.

I also much later performed with the Big band in the early 90's, with some really great players, Mark Levine, Warren Gale, monster sax sections. ....Man I'm old, last night at Pub with one of the bands I work with, a steel drum player sat in, was really cool, And he's a great sax player. Anyway the tunes somewhat of a 4 tonic thing, we were young and still trying to get the MM harmony references... the harmonic thing was a little muddy. Joe's tune "The Kicker", a blues is much easier and Fun tune.
    Attached Files Attached Files

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Yea... you all sure pick some tough tunes...LOL.

I have an old recording from mid 70's while I was at Berklee... kids at college, anyway one of the ensembles I played in did a bunch of Joe's tunes and recorded the session. It was a very different time, LOL.

I also much later performed with the Big band in the early 90's, with some really great players, Mark Levine, Warren Gale, monster sax sections. ....Man I'm old, last night at Pub with one of the bands I work with, a steel drum player sat in, was really cool, And he's a great sax player. Anyway the tunes somewhat of a 4 tonic thing, we were young and still trying to get the MM harmony references... the harmonic thing was a little muddy. Joe's tune "The Kicker", a blues is much easier and Fun tune.
    Great take and really nice playing!