The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 66 of 66

User Info Menu

Welp, not going to win any beauty contests with this, but I feel a little bit more comfortable with 3/4 than I did a week ago.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sounds fine to me. Getting used to playing lines in 3:4 can be tricky at first, I guess because we spend so much time playing jazz tunes in 4.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Getting used to playing lines in 3:4 can be tricky at first, I guess because we spend so much time playing jazz tunes in 4.
    I think it's difficult to do what you did, which was running lines of eighths over 3/4 or 6/8.

But what's so confusing about the clave business (to my ear anyway) is that the pulse is often so broken up it disappears. I'm no good with that at all. On the other hand, I want to use it because it sounds cool :-)

By the way, spot on about the Coltrane version, definitely show-stopping.

User Info Menu

I remember seeing Chucho Valdes and his band Irakere at Ronnie Scotts, playing all those amazing Cuban rhythms. The groove sounded fantastic, it felt so good. I kept trying to count the beats but since nobody seemed to ever play anything on beat ‘one’, I could not figure it out at all!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    You should post a take Kris—I would like very much to hear your approach. A few weeks ago Stolen Moments was our tune, and that also has a minor blues solo section—it does get a bit redundant having that same form pop up again so soon. Are you typically playing soloing over the same changes as the head, or something else?
    Hi Wzpgsr,
    This is my take of Afro-Blue.
    I had a lot of fun recording the bass and guitar parts.
    Interestingly. I recorded for the original recordings from drummers from Africa, I had to be very vigilant because they play with rhythmic nuances.Most important for me was afro groove...
    Hope You like it:

Box

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I remember seeing Chucho Valdes and his band Irakere at Ronnie Scotts, playing all those amazing Cuban rhythms. The groove sounded fantastic, it felt so good. I kept trying to count the beats but since nobody seemed to ever play anything on beat ‘one’, I could not figure it out at all!
    Well, quite. I'm on a hunt to find the most obscure one... and they all come in together at some unknown point known only to them. I hate it when they do that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Hi Wzpgsr,
    This is my take of Afro-Blue.
    I had a lot of fun recording the bass and guitar parts.
    Interestingly. I recorded for the original recordings from drummers from Africa, I had to be very vigilant because they play with rhythmic nuances.Most important for me was afro groove...
    Hope You like it:

Box
    Yeah that was great. Thanks Kris. Did you sample the rhythm patterns from other recordings?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Yeah that was great. Thanks Kris. Did you sample the rhythm patterns from other recordings?
    Thank you.
    I found some usefull sounds on Afro Percussion CD.There is on youtube.

User Info Menu

Thank you, Kris, that was good. Maybe not long enough :-)

User Info Menu

I found this but didn't use it, maybe someone else could. Bembe is the standard 6/8 rhythm. Having it going on does change the way you play.

In the end I stopped trying to be Cuban and thought 'It's a waltz so...!'.

User Info Menu

Yes I think that bembe rhythm is similar to the pattern I lifted off the drumgenius app and inserted at the beginning of my take. I had to muck about stretching it a bit in Reaper to fit the tempo grid I was using.

This is how they describe it in the app:

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 63) - Afro Blue-b3bf6df1-2f23-4bb6-a707-ca9c099231d5-jpeg

User Info Menu

Sounds about right. There are any number of 2/4 and 4/4 claves and quite a few 12/8's. Not so many 6/8's, though, and usually variations on the basic Bembe.

User Info Menu

Here’s my take:
    Dropbox - Bleu affreux - 2022-31-03.m4a - Simplify your life

The backing track is from Aebersold.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mayrandp
    Here’s my take:

Lots to like about this one. Welcome aboard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mayrandp
    Here’s my take:

Feel very good with Aebersold play-a-long.
    Exelent playing over f-minor blues changes.
    I confess I thought earlier it was a modal tune...Coltrane turned my head.

User Info Menu