The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 66

User Info Menu

Just heard it. Not sure what he's doing there and that rhythm totally confuses me. Busy now but I'll revisit it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think on the Doug Raney version the rhythm section are playing around a lot with emphasising/superimposing 2 beats per bar against the expected 3 beats. I think there’s a name for this in cuban/latin music (= tresillo perhaps?).

User Info Menu

This is a nice version with interesting blowing changes

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

The more modern versions, the less minor blues.
    Am I wrong?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    The more modern versions, the less minor blues.
    Am I wrong?
    You should post a take Kris—I would like very much to hear your approach. A few weeks ago Stolen Moments was our tune, and that also has a minor blues solo section—it does get a bit redundant having that same form pop up again so soon. Are you typically playing soloing over the same changes as the head, or something else?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    You should post a take Kris—I would like very much to hear your approach. A few weeks ago Stolen Moments was our tune, and that also has a minor blues solo section—it does get a bit redundant having that same form pop up again so soon. Are you typically playing soloing over the same changes as the head, or something else?
    I was playing Afro Blue at a concert three years ago last time- using a simple TC electronic Ditto looper.
    I used for solos some modal chord changes.
    I don't even remember what I came up with.
    I will try to recall it - the guitar key was E-minor.
    Thank you for your interest.

User Info Menu

Given the kinds of thoughts expressed so far in this one, I couldn't resist the sage counsel of Bob Marley to stir it up. I just laid down a single take each on bass, keys, and guitar (for a reason you'll understand in 5 more sentences) to honor the admonitions below from the sticky "rules" thread at the top of the Improvisation subforum:

1. "This is about improvisation. Don't post a transcription. Don't work out a whole solo. Don't spend all week making a solo guitar arrangement. Just put down your phone and do a take. Keep it fresh."
    2. "...the general rule is 'Don't be a dick.' "

I hope and pray that Will Smith is neither a lurker on this forum nor as much of a purist as those who've already criticized others for not following "the form". I am flagrantly guilty of not following the form on this one, and I'm proud of it. To avoid tweaking those who expressed a dislike of quotes in improvisation in another thread on that subject, I did not quote Favorite Things despite an intense desire to do so.

For those who can restrain themselves, here's a brief snippet of Afro Blue in 5/4:

User Info Menu

The truth is they say I would write this to anyone who plays AF in minor blues. Never heard the original version before.
    Ragman's version is based on the original..it is ok.
    I'm sorry for the confusion it is my fault.
    I was too confident writing the comment.
    I'm learning jazz all the time.
    I really like the McCoy Tyner version...:

Fair enough.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I think on the Doug Raney version the rhythm section are playing around a lot with emphasising/superimposing 2 beats per bar against the expected 3 beats. I think there’s a name for this in cuban/latin music (= tresillo perhaps?).
    No, I meant what are your thoughts on reproducing a 2:3 rhythm.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    No, I meant what are your thoughts on reproducing a 2:3 rhythm.
    I don’t really have any suggestions to be honest, I’m more used to doing latin stuff in 4, e.g. bossa, samba, etc. I’d need to hear more examples in 3, I think.

User Info Menu

Makin’ up for being tardy last time. I left the minor blues out.

User Info Menu

Here are two very interesting and fresh versions of Afro-Blue.I love the G.Burton version of chord changes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Makin’ up for being tardy last time. I left the minor blues out.
    You've done it! Good effort, and it ain't easy.

(I've deleted mine. Just listened to it again. It was probably the worst thing I've played for a very long time. It was truly dreadful, not even bad amateur. So it's gone. I'll have to have another look at it. I'm not sure what to do with it, to be honest. Sorry, talking about myself...)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    You've done it! Good effort, and it ain't easy.

(I've deleted mine. Just listened to it again. It was probably the worst thing I've played for a very long time. It was truly dreadful, not even bad amateur. So it's gone. I'll have to have another look at it. I'm not sure what to do with it, to be honest. Sorry, talking about myself...)
    I will try to post another. I started to get into it a bit better after like 20 attempts. Time on the song, I guess.

User Info Menu

Here's a quick take as a folksy jazzy waltz played on my tele x2:

User Info Menu

I couldn't find a way of doing a proper 3:4 latin version, so I did a sort of Coltrane-inspired take, with a bit of 6:8 latin style sneaked in from the Drumgenius app, which I incorporated in the theme. I didn't really want to do the minor blues changes, so I did a sort of modal thing with a couple of changes added (a bit like what McCoy Tyner does in his solo on the Coltrane version). I did it in C minor because I liked the sound of it better on the guitar.

User Info Menu

Grahambop,
    Very cool jazz playing with beautiful jazz lines.An amazing feeling.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Thanks kris. I’m still on a bit of a high after seeing Alessio Menconi a few days ago, maybe that inspired me!

User Info Menu

I couldn't find a way of doing a proper 3:4 latin version, so I did a sort of Coltrane-inspired take, with a bit of 6:8 latin style sneaked in from the Drumgenius app, which I incorporated in the theme. I didn't really want to do the minor blues changes, so I did a sort of modal thing with a couple of changes added (a bit like what McCoy Tyner does in his solo on the Coltrane version). I did it in C minor because I liked the sound of it better on the guitar.
    Thanks, Graham, that was really fun to listen to.

User Info Menu

Nice work, chaps. I've done it again too, nothing special but it's better than the first one. I've tried the modal version this time (before I saw anybody else's). What I can't get is the backing. I don't know how they're doing it and I've looked about everywhere so far. Of course it's a mixture of sounds but there's got to be a basic clave.

User Info Menu

Here are two very interesting and fresh versions of Afro-Blue.I love the G.Burton version of chord changes.

Both of these are gems... incredible playing from Gary Burton although Julian's solo lacked its usual "vibe"' ......and amazing,amazing ,amazing singing by Gregory Porter on the Harold. M. version, I must say this is a really nice band. WOW!

Thank you for posting

Ray

User Info Menu

Nice tone G......Grew up on the original Mongo version....... our conga player's obviously favorite tune.....Haven't yet gotten used to the jazzier one yet but good choice on the C min....

Thx

Ray

User Info Menu

My favourite version is still the one I heard first - I got this record when I was at university. Brings back memories of chilling out, having my mind blown listening to this, I had never heard anything like it.

Still blows my mind 40 years later!