The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I have an affinity for “inside/out” players in jazz — players who are great at “playing the changes” but then can depart in interesting ways to superimpose lines over the changes that are outside-sounding (in interesting ways). Transcribing is a big part of my practice routine, and I have transcribed solos by inside/out players such as John Coltrane, Woody Shaw, and Jerry Bergonzi.

I am looking for some jazz guitarists to transcribe who fit this style. Any suggestions would be appreciated…. also any books on inside/outside playing (or online resources). Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Books, try this, which I don't have but which looks good: Inside Outside Guitar Soloing: Discover Oz Noy’s Modern Guitar Soloing Techniques for Rock, Jazz & Blues (Learn How to Play Jazz Guitar) : Noy, Mr Oz, Pettingale, Mr Tim, Alexander, Mr Joseph: Amazon.co.uk: Books

And of course, check out the author Oz Noy's playing for examples of Inside/Outside playing e.g. his most recent record called Riverside.

Mike Stern and John McLaughlin are also good at this.

User Info Menu

The current issue of GP has a full analysis of an Oz Noy solo.

User Info Menu

John Scofield

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    The current issue of GP has a full analysis of an Oz Noy solo.
    That may be the first issue of GP I will buy in many years.

User Info Menu

Diorio?

User Info Menu

Pat Metheny esp. live

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I have doubts about outside playing on guitar (sax/trumpet/etc), I think it is mainly piano thing where the left hand can do same time exact same outside harmonic context, what the solo melody does. This way the music achives something more, than simply just being something dissonant. If the guitar player goes outside, but this is not instantly supported with a comping player, that would be terrible.

Of course Pat Metheny is great in it, but mainly in trio setting and this is because there is no other musicians strong mandatory harmonic content during those solos.

What is more interesting Scofield managed it in unbelievable master degree in his first album (Rough House) in quartet setting with Hal Garper on piano. This album is way underrated, even amongst Scofield fans.

(I've just bought Scofield gig tickets, small jazz club, trio, can't wait :-))

User Info Menu

Pat Martino in general, and specifically on this (Gil Goldstein, too)

Last edited by John A.; 03-23-2022 at 10:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Attila Zoller (guitar) with Don Friedman (piano):

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    If the guitar player goes outside, but this is not instantly supported with a comping player, that would be terrible.
    I don't agree. Whether guitar player or other instrument, outside playing is only outside if it is in contrast to, not supported by, a comping player. That's what makes it "outside". I am currently transcribing a Jerry Bergonzi solo on "The Song is You" where he sometimes "follows the changes" and then for a few measures does odd things that, due to his taste and technique, sound cool but are clashing with the underlying chords (like playing major 3rds over minor chords) . One thing that makes it work is if done at rapid tempo where the listener's brain can't quite catch up to what's going on before the soloist comes back down to earth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rsilver
    I don't agree. Whether guitar player or other instrument, outside playing is only outside if it is in contrast to, not supported by, a comping player. That's what makes it "outside". I am currently transcribing a Jerry Bergonzi solo on "The Song is You" where he sometimes "follows the changes" and then for a few measures does odd things that, due to his taste and technique, sound cool but are clashing with the underlying chords (like playing major 3rds over minor chords) . One thing that makes it work is if done at rapid tempo where the listener's brain can't quite catch up to what's going on before the soloist comes back down to earth.
    +1
    This is playing outside.
    Michael Brecker,Dave Liebman - a great "outside" sax players.

User Info Menu

looking for transcription of Grant Green it aint neccessairly so...

User Info Menu

i found one in 6 flats and no tablature..anyone know how to add Tabs...

User Info Menu

forget that i took a crack at it..i forgot the 6 flat handicap key and endorsed Greens shapes and his patterns did emerge...mucho gratias Grant