The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

This next one's from Triple_Jazz.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 61) - Dat Dere-timmons-forum-3-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Cool choice - I haven't played this in years! It's one of my favorite Oscar Brown Jr lyrics too. Check him out if you don't know his work.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 61) - Dat Dere-oscarbrown_sin-soul-jpg

User Info Menu

Terrific stuff, Mr. Never! I see you're in the right place here. And we're very glad to have you

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Terrific stuff, Mr. Never! I see you're in the right place here. And we're very glad to have you
    Thanks! This is a great idea. Following the guideline to just put down your phone and do a take is actually a great practice tool. There's a limit on how far out I can go with experimentation on stage, since even the most adoring audience will abandon you for the band down the block once the clams start to smell. But this is a chance to let it all hang out and see how it drapes, with enough friendly eyes and ears on it to make me aware of things that have escaped me.

A "one and done" session is a very productive way to practice new fingerings, positions, harmonies, etc - if I can't hear and feel it well enough to play it without a lot of work, either it's above my head and I have to devote serious effort to it or it's just not such a great idea. I've been doing this for a half hour at least a few times per week since I discovered the Virtual Jam several weeks ago, and it's definitely helped me understand what I should stop doing.

I also gain a lot from watching and listening to myself when pushing my limits. Until I recently switched my recording setup from a hardware based MIDI system to a software based USB MIDI rig, recording was a time consuming pain in the rear. Now that I can lay down audio and video easily, it's a priceless tool for learning. For example, I noticed that I was bending my G string a bit with some chords in some positions, and it was causing enough of an intonation problem for me to have noticed that something was a little off. But I didn't realize I was visibly shifting the string until I saw it while hearing the effect. [EDIT] I couldn't find that frame just now, but I did come across this similarly sloppy fingering:

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 61) - Dat Dere-bent_string_in_chord-jpg

I appreciate the chance to participate, and I look forward to seeing what others are doing. I love it!!

David

Last edited by nevershouldhavesoldit; 03-11-2022 at 11:33 PM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Cool choice - I haven't played this in years!
    Excellent!

User Info Menu

Dat Dere! Wow what a great song to pick, I was thinking when I first saw the thread title, but of course I picked I realized after reading the post

From the same session as my Stolen Moments post

User Info Menu

Nice one, Triple. I've just done a version. I've simplified the head because, like a lot of these bebop tunes, it's composed for light-fingered piano virtuosos rather than guitar plodders like me! But it's certainly a good tune.

User Info Menu

Your modified head melody works, it’s one of those melodies where the extra flare notes only garnish the central theme.

User Info Menu

Well, you know, I used to play pretty complex classical guitar pieces but they were made for guitar, the fingerings were where the notes were. Or, rather, the notes were where the fingers were.

With these bebop tunes composed by sax or piano players it's not like that. Us poor guitar players have to torture ourselves a lot of the time trying to get round them. Not fair, I say

There was a Herb Ellis tune the other week. All the notes were neatly at the 8th position, or somewhere like that. Actually, a bit too easy, I thought. But a good tune.

Gets me to wondering if you're, say, a sax player playing in C (when for us it's Bb) just how simple it is for them. Lionelsax, for example, isn't bad on his sax tunes but he obviously finds the guitar quite tricky. Which, I suppose, is fair enough.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Gets me to wondering if you're, say, a sax player playing in C (when for us it's Bb) just how simple it is for them.
    It's not - I've played sax for many years. The main difference is that we can play the exact same note in multiple places on the fretboard using the finger of our choice. There's only one of each note on a wind instrument. We have options for scales too, but they do not. There are some truly amazing wind players who can bend notes and hit some notes "off the keys", but almost all of them are limited to only one fingering per note. As for playing in a different key from the C instruments, it's irrelevant. Even when we play in C at the 8th fret, we're fretting all the notes - C's no easier for us than any other key unless we're playing at the nut. Learning to think in all keys is the same task for everybody.

Having to hit a specific note the same way regardless of the notes before and after it means that you have absolutely no choice at all. You have to lift 5 fingers off at once with perfect synchrony to go from C to A, then plop down 4 of them again to go to an Eb. It's fairly easy to get sound from a sax, but it ain't easy at all to play one well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    It's not
    Damn :-)

User Info Menu

Here. we go ... daddy can I have that big elephant over there?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I love the juxtaposition between John and Wzpgsr’s submissions! Great stuff

User Info Menu

I like this idea of bass backing so I've tried it out. I suppose it's a bit bare but the bass line to Dat Dere is quite exciting, all that chromatic stuff.

User Info Menu

Yeah, this is a great tune. Bobby Timmons was definitely one of my pathways from blues/r&b to jazz and I love his writing.

Rags: nice ones.

CaptainTripSec: That was a fun one. Nice and crisp. As far as contrast goes, I feel like this tune really calls for hitting it hard rhythmically and digging in on gutbucket bluesiness (true of most of his tunes). That, and I just got my semi-hollow back from being refretted. 3 weeks without the grease called for drastic measures.

Wouldcouldashoulda: nice job. Seems like you agree with respect to hitting the it hard.Would love to hear more of those low 7th string notes.

Wxpealicdocious: Great job with the thumb there and some cool chromaticism.
    Last edited by John A.; 03-15-2022 at 02:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Wouldcouldashoulda: nice job. Seems like you agree with respect to hitting the it hard.Would love to hear more of those low 7th string notes.
    Thanks! From force of habit, I go near the lowest 7 frets on the 7th very sparingly when playing with most bass players - they go nuts if anyone’s playing in their register. In fact some start complaining when they notice a 7 coming out of the case - so I try hard not to clash with even a virtual bassist.

I’ll make my next contribution to the next VJ tune a solo version, if it fits the tune.

User Info Menu

if it fits the tune
    I think it will.

but my lips are sealed :-)

User Info Menu

One more noodle before we change...