The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

This one's from Triple_Jazz.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 55) - Sugar-turrentine-forum-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I’m here in the Northeast bracing for a Blizzard, not at home but at work for the next few days. Will have to post my cut sometime in the week. Look forward to hearing some contributions!

User Info Menu

bracing for a Blizzard
    I've just watched 'The Day After Tomorrow'. Hope it's not like that

User Info Menu

No takers takers for this tune, it seems. Come on folks, it's a fun one. There are some good backing tracks. I decided to go With Mr. Sunny Bass and add a drum track.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    No takers takers for this tune, it seems. Come on folks, it's a fun one. There are some good backing tracks. I decided to go With Mr. Sunny Bass and add a drum track.

Chordal passages came out really nice. Great voicings and the guitar sounds terrific.

User Info Menu

Thank you, John, someone's turned up! Nice playing as usual.

Back when this was started the tune had almost been done to death by about Sunday :-)

User Info Menu

I'm here—will get something posted this weekend for sure.

User Info Menu

It's okay, it's not a roust. No pressure.

I've done about three versions so far but I'm not happy yet :-)

User Info Menu

If you don’t fall off the rails once in a while, you’re not doing it right. I guess.

User Info Menu

I liked that, wzpgsr, it was interesting.

This might do.

User Info Menu

John: I’ve been playing with the same trio the last couple of takes as well. Mr. Sunny Bass and Mr. Drum Genius really get around. I liked the bit of chord soloing you sprinkled throughout.

Rags: Nice take. Some blues coming out, but with some vague “tropical” references.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I liked that, wzpgsr, it was interesting.

This might do.

Thanks rags. Those 16th note twiddles you referenced before are kind of a bear for me, but also an important to the bebop sound imo. I practiced them quite a bit earlier in the day, but as usual, it kind of went to hell once I pressed record.

User Info Menu

Oh, I can play them all right, I just thought they didn't sound that good on my recording. I don't mind twiddles, I just got tired of twiddling so much (the head's repeated twice).

I liked the way you started low, by the way, and your lines were pretty good too. Do you have a 'method'? Or would that be classified?

User Info Menu

Oh, I can play them all right, I just thought they didn't sound that good on my recording. I don't mind twiddles, I just got tired of twiddling so much (the head's repeated twice).

I liked the way you started low, by the way, and your lines were pretty good too. Do you have a 'method'? Or would that be classified?
    Since we’ve started this weekly thing I try to learn the melody as quickly as I can, then try to completely internalize the changes using simple three note voicings so I don’t have to look at the chart. The more I do those two things, the faster and easier learning tunes gets. When we first started this, it would take me 3-4 days just to barely internalize changes. Now I can usually do it an a few hours or less. Head sometimes takes longer—like all the twiddles took some extra work yesterday.

I try to see different keys on the neck using these three note voicings as a road map for fingerings. I’ve been working with a teacher on incorporating altered sounds over ii-vs, playing the head to Donna Lee a lot and trying to internalize some of those lines, and transcribing a bits of a Doug Raney solo over Autumn Leaves. My method is to play the crap out of that stuff when I practice and hope that some of it comes out in playing. I also pay a lot of attention to what the more advanced players in this group are doing. Seeing how / where the blues comes out, etc. versus playing changes.

User Info Menu

hope that some of it comes out in playing.
    It does

User Info Menu

Okay, twiddly Sugar now.

User Info Menu

Okay, twiddly Sugar now.

I've heard vocal versions without the "twiddles", but I couldn't find any instrumental versions without it (and all the Turrentine versions have it), so I think it's fair to say that it's part of the melody and not just optional ornamentations.

User Info Menu

Oh, I know that's the melody, definitely, but I still find them twiddly. I mean, six in a row? Twice!!! But it doesn't really affect the soloing so it's not a big deal.

But what's quite clever is the way he makes Cm pentatonic fit so neatly over Gb7 Or is it the other way round :-)

User Info Menu

Well, better late then never !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    Well, better late then never !
    Welcome to the party. There's a handful of us. Do you find that the chord stabs help you stay anchored in the form? This is something I need to work on.

User Info Menu

Triple -

I did like that slow, sultry bass, quite seductive in its way

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr;[URL="tel:1178128"
    1178128[/URL]]Welcome to the party. There's a handful of us. Do you find that the chord stabs help you stay anchored in the form? This is something I need to work on.
    I like the sound of chords within an improv, I like it to sound more like a piano. My ear gravitates most to the pianist on a recording and I’m always trying to emulate. It helps stay on the form for sure but it’s not an intentional tactic.

User Info Menu

Triple -

I did like that slow, sultry bass, quite seductive in its way
    i can’t take credit for mr. sultrybass