The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

This one from wzpgsr.

You'll notice I've credited it to all three members of the Soft Winds trio. This was because of a sentence in Wiki about the tune:

'Credit for music and lyrics is to Carter, Frigo, and Ellis, based on their mutual agreement when the Soft Winds trio was formed that the three would share credit for any music composed by any of them during the existence of the band.'

Detour Ahead - Wikipedia

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 54) - Detour Ahead-da-pic2-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Or alternately...

User Info Menu

If we’re just going to post pros playing, I liked this one.

Dutchbopper Guest
    I recorded this for my sister at the end of March.

DB

And this live track features Jan on bass, who passed away november last. Neither Jan nor the trumpet player knew this tune and had ever played it earlier. I just handed them the sheet music and we recorded it spontaneously as a first take. They read the music on sight. Great musicians.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    If we’re just going to post pros playing
    Oh, I do hope not! I put up those two because one was the original, obviously, and the JVR one was a highly modern take. In between is the better known stuff by Herb, Bill Evans, Kenny Burrell, many others, and all the vocalists, of course. It's quite a popular tune.

User Info Menu

Very nice, DB. What can one say?

User Info Menu

He's taking quite a lot of liberties with the melody, don't you think? Creative player, though.

User Info Menu

I've no doubt Herb wrote this tune, probably with some input from the others. It's extremely like Georgia (possibly Herb's favorite tune) and it's a guitarist's tune. All the melody notes fall strangely conveniently under the fingers at the 8th position... I've done some not very good stuff like that myself!

I don't know what's going on with the first two bars. CM7/F#7b9 - B7#5 where CM7 to Em7 would have done but it does lend itself to some lovely harmonies, chord-melody wise, but I've just done a straightforward version, low to high. Let's get it over with :-)

Last edited by ragman1; 01-30-2022 at 08:20 PM.

Dutchbopper Guest
    I forgot all about this one. I was allowed to demo a 40k guitar for a a few days last summer. The tune is a pretty straight forward chord melody I created myself earlier for "Detour Ahead."

DB

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Very nice, DB. What can one say?
    Thanks. I dunno. Life is what it is I guess ...

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    I forgot all about this one. I was allowed to demo a 40k guitar for a a few days last summer. The tune is a pretty straight forward chord melody I created myself earlier for "Detour Ahead."

DB

That's beautiful on so many levels I'm in sensory overload. Just amazing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    40k guitar
    detour ahead in the bank account...

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Or alternately...

Track from a fantastic live album.

User Info Menu

Here we go. Interesting tune. It seems like the versions out there are all pretty different, and it's hard to point to a definitive version of the changes, or even the melody. Seemed an opportunity to take liberties with the head, and not try to truly nail the tune, so this was relatively un-shedded and spontaneous. I did one straighter take, which sounded lame to me, so I decided to get a bit weirder, and did just one take of that. I wanted to play the melody, and I wanted to solo, but it's such a long tune, so I decided to kind of mash up head and soloing. I had intended to stop after the first chorus, but I liked the way the backing track kicked into swing time, so I kept going.

On to listening to you guys.
    Last edited by John A.; 01-23-2022 at 01:04 AM.

User Info Menu

Great tune, always love hearing Bill Evans tackle this one. I may be tackling this like the Green Bay Packers but nonetheless I submit my try. Very unique changes that definitely need to be run through a few times to get the form.

User Info Menu

I was first introduced to this tune 5 years ago in one of the Superchops threads run by TH / TruthHertz / Jimmy Blue Note. Discussion of tune starts here:

Commit to a song a week. What could a serious student hope to learn?

User Info Menu

wzpgsr -

Thanks for that link, lots of good stuff there :-)

User Info Menu

There ya went.

User Info Menu

Not a lot of takers this week. Oh well. Anyway ...

Dutchbopper: It's nice to hear real performances of this. Great stuff.
    Ragman: Hmm, slow tune with tricky changes ... can't imagine you liking a tune like this ... sounds good
    Wxwzpnbckcrbgo: Very cool. Great tone, overall great vibe.

User Info Menu

Rags: Thought you might have a few more takes up your sleeve for this tune. Liked what I heard.

Dutchbopper: I want to be you when I grow up.

Triple: Really liked that bit around 1:00 or so. Felt especially “idiomatic” and focused.

John: Nice to hear you wringing the blues out of this like it’s a dirty dish rag. I don’t think of this tune at all like that, but hearing you do it, it seems obvious now. Note to self: incorporate more blues ideas.

User Info Menu

wzpgsr -

Thought you might have a few more takes up your sleeve for this tune.
    I might try something later today. We're almost onto the next one anyway. Time waits for no one

User Info Menu

Here we go then, wzpgsr, another take just for you. I've done it in G (got bored with C) and had to curb some of the bluegrass habits. I do like the tune, of course, it's a ballad :-)