The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 83

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    what is art?
    Art is an activity in which something is created for which there is no apparent practical function or purpose, yet people still seem to find the created thing desirable.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Art is enjoyed by billions of people every day, whether they realize it or not. According to studies, most people spend hours daily watching/streaming movies or TV shows. Theatre/TV/movies are a form of art, which also includes music. Music itself is also enjoyed by billions of people every day.

It provides enjoyment for people, makes them feel good, and helps them make their days more enjoyable. People are also inspired by and learn things from art.

So art does provide a quite valuable function for people, more than a lot of people realize. It also provides millions of extremely lucrative jobs for people, and therefore even helps economies prosper. It makes people feel good, is educational, and provides jobs, so IMO art is an extremely valuable human invention.

Yes, I think art is precious and valuable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SoftwareGuy
    Art is an activity in which something is created for which there is no apparent practical function or purpose, yet people still seem to find the created thing desirable.
    I find that definition of "art" too narrow, but if that is the case music isn't art.

A lot of music is created to serve a practical function; E.g. a musical score for a movie; elevator-music, dance-music etc...

User Info Menu

If I remember correctly from school 20 years ago. Art is a the reaction between what something supposed to be like vs. the way the way the artist made it.
    It's not a definition but just a thought. By Heiddegger I think. Might remember it wrong though. I have a bad memory.

User Info Menu

Is circus an art?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Architecture can be ever so practical .. yet contain very artistic specimens that give joy beyond whatever is practical.

What if we replace "non-practical" with "non-vital"? ... Still not 100% there, but closer perhaps?
    Non-vital; I like it. As you note still not 100% there (I don't think that is possible), but close enough for jazz (pun intended!).

(as for "close enough for jazz": I just found out the origin for this was):

Close enough for jazz is American slang meaning “near enough, good enough”. It comes from musician’s slang meaning that a particular tuning, for example, would be “good enough (to play) jazz”. It is of course an immensely annoying phrase for jazz musicians.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    So what is music?
    Music is the artform that utilizes virtual time and virtual emotion.

It is the only time man creates.
    Last edited by WILSON 1; 01-21-2022 at 01:33 PM.

User Info Menu

My teacher pointed me in this direction. Seems like a "younger" player to me and very very gifted imho...

User Info Menu

Does something magical happen when the young players turn into old players?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SoftwareGuy
    Serving a desire of some kind strikes me as highly practical. If you want to say a work of art doesn't provide food, shelter, OK sure. But the same could be said for most of what human beings do (nearly all aspects of culture, religion, conversation, education, scholarship, non-procreative sex, just generally hanging around and being a person, etc ). Social interaction and cohesion is actually the main point of being a human being, and art plays an important practical role in that in all societies.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    In some cases, it appears some sort of dark magic causing them to see the cultural landscape as a lawn off of which the younger musicians should get does.

User Info Menu

To be fair to those that often put-down younger players they did mention that when musicians like Miles, Parker, Christian, etc.. were young they were already "artist"; that the so called magic was already there. (and that they don't see any young players today that have anything close to the magic that those old-time great had when they were young.

Note I don't support that point, per se, since they are comparing the cream of the crop from prior generations to the total crop of young players today.

User Info Menu

Yes, they join a jazz guitar forum.

User Info Menu

Pretty bold to create a category of “young jazz guitarists” and feeling like you need to tell them what music is. Maybe you can ask them too?

User Info Menu

Hey, I never said my sample of "young players" on youtube was a scientific sample lol. So maybe it was just the young players I happened to notice?

Really, it's not just young players who do that either. I notice older players doing it too . There's one granpa who’s all over the internet playing jazz, and it seems like everything he plays is like a million MPH. I guess I’m just not impressed with guys running scales at a million MPH all the time. Hey, I play fast quite a bit too but just not "all of the time".

Bottom line is that I don't think it's good to do that all the time if you're a young or experienced player. I don't know about you, but I just keep getting more experienced.

Julian Lage is mid 30s, so more experienced than the guys I was referring to. Sure, and he can play fast, but he doesn't do it all the time. He's one player who I find really enjoyable to listen too. He's very inventive, and really has fun with it. That comes across in his improv, which is cool.

Hey, some guys can pull it off, though, and still sound amazing, so there are always exceptions to every rule. If you're one of those guys, then go on with your bad self. One of my favorite and most admired players ever, plays fast quite a lot, BUT if you're paying attention you notice that he can play on ballads leaving lots of space and still knock your socks off with his brilliant improv. That's cool , that's what I'm talking about.

>>>>>Honestly, I play fast quite a lot too, so I don't want to sound hypocritical. What I really mean are guys who seem to not know when to let off the gas to fit the music or just to give peoples ears a break lol. Also guys who sound terrible when they attempt to play on ballads. That’s not good. IMO you should leave space in your improv at least some of the time (depending on the tune of course), AND when you slow things down there should not be any drop off in the amazingly excellent level of your improv.

Some of my favorite players of all time play fast quite a lot, quite a lot, BUT they still sound excellent, when they play more sparsely and leave space in their improv. ?It's all relative.

User Info Menu

The definition of "definition" changes too.
    Languages are crazy. Definitions are crazy. Therefore, people are crazy!

User Info Menu

What is music?

Music is something that goes up or down or stays the same or played together.

User Info Menu

What is, really?

User Info Menu

I have gripes about new stuff, but not about shredding. It's about the changing of the style with dumb sounds to my ear. It's not only young people doing it either, it's players of all ages by this point. It just feels awkward and doesn't move me at all. Some mod stuff is cool to me. Like Herbie's music in the movie Round Midnight. I can dig on some aspects of mod, but stuff like this where it isn't interesting melodically, harmonically, and it's like trying not to groove. I'm just like wtf. I'll definitely say get off my lawn with that stuff.

Shredding doesn't bother me. I don't really buy the argument that if someone is a good fast player that they'll probably have holes in their slower playing. It usually doesn't work that way. I usually don't care to listen to that much burning jazz, but I do really like rhythm when it's used well.

This is the mod that I want off my lawn.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Sioco
    What is music?

Music is something that goes up or down or stays the same or played together.
    What goes UP or DOWN?

User Info Menu

A piece of music is a sequence of sounds that establish a pattern and then create tension within that pattern.

User Info Menu

Meaning, applied to sound.

User Info Menu

Music is whatever I point at and say ‘that’s music’ and everyone who disagrees is wrong

User Info Menu

It is the food of love ....

play on Jimi

User Info Menu

Well? This was an amusing read. I’m going back to BK playing now