Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

This one courtesy of John A.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 53) - West Coast Blues-wes3-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Does anybody know how Wes fingered this?

I find it easy enough with 4 fingers, but I know he used 3.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar

There's a live version (with a big band) on youtube where you can catch of a glimpse of it, but the camera is mainly not on his hands so you can't get much info. He seems to be playing mainly on the top 4 strings with a lot of vertical (up and down the neck) shifts, per his usual.

User Info Menu

Here we go. I love this tune. I called it here because whenever I try it at a real jam I get blank stares. I probably get blanks stares here, too, but I can't see you guys, so screw it.

User Info Menu

John A,

That was awesome. You can rename it East Coast Blues

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Here we go. I love this tune. I called it here because whenever I try it at a real jam I get blank stares. I probably get blanks stares here, too, but I can't see you guys, so screw it.

Really great playing. That little bit of side slipping halfway through was perfect. Also, I’ve heard you play this guitar many times, but dang this is the best I’ve heard it sound. That humbucker seems to compress in a way that really complements your playing style. Maybe I should put the humbucker back in my Hawk Standard….

User Info Menu

January is a busy time for me at work but my wife is out Friday and I have a free night. I’ll be making cuts of giant steps and west coast blues, looking forward to it! I have a few suggestions I’ll send your way Rag

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.

I love the way you go for intensity.

User Info Menu

Here's something. I haven't bothered with the head, too tricky and time consuming.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar

Some shots of him playing it here:

User Info Menu

WZPGSR: Thanks. Coulda been side-slipping; coulda been a mistake. I'll never tell Regarding the guitar, yeah, this is a great sounding guitar. I feel very lucky to have picked it up. When I record it in my DAW (as opposed to just picking up my MicroCube with my phone), I always use the same amp-sim patch (the amp section of a BF Super Reverb plugged into a SF Twin Reverb cabinet), but somehow it winds up coming out a little different every time. Sounds even better through a real tube amp in the room, but it's not practical for me to record that. Your 77 sounds really good to me. It's got that classic P90 175 sound, which is one of my favorites. You also do a really good job with recording. I'm consistently impressed with the sound quality of your stuff.

rpjazzguitar: That sounds great, nice and bluesy. Regarding intensity: thanks. This is actually a fairly conscious thing for me -- I think less about what notes to play, and more about how to play them and how to build and release energy/intensity. Probably to a fault -- I'm not the most fastidious guy on the planet when it comes to pasta with clam sauce, but I yam what I yam, as a great mariner once said.

Ragman: nice, contemplative approach. The melody is really not that hard -- if I can get it anyone can. So maybe next take ...

User Info Menu

John that was just totally intense!!!

I tried this tune 2 or 3 years ago and I wasn’t quite getting it. I felt better this time around. Could use some more shedding of course.

User Info Menu

A sunny afternoon after days of heavy rain so I thought I'd shed my Wet Coat Blues:

User Info Menu

I'm tired... and I think there were tweety birds outside the window.

Someone has changed the thread title without telling me. I thought it might be nice to start a new year but apparently they want the round numbers to continue indefinitely. Okay.

I haven't heard a word from Jeff Matz, not a squeak. I like his Willie thing, but not a word. Oh, well.

It's quite a nice tune if you don't panic.

User Info Menu

I haven’t really practiced since around my birthday December 17th and dont actually know the tune. But if it were called on a real session id have to play it so for the sake of honesty here it is

User Info Menu

Hi !

This is my take, I like when the real changes are played during the solo.

It's a very fresh take, comment whatever you want.

User Info Menu

I'm always impressed when you pick up the saxophone, Lionel.

User Info Menu

Good to see year 2 off to a good start. Thanks for keeping things going, ragman and all. I'll check in when I can.

User Info Menu

Struggled at times hitting the changes with this time signature—here's a couple of choruses. I am definitely adding this tune to my stable.

User Info Menu

Haven't been around and able to touch a guitar for six weeks now so there's some work to do for me to get back to playing. But I have done this for last year's general blues jam call so I hope it's OK if I repost that here.

User Info Menu

Hey, TOMMO! Nice to see you. Hope you haven't been ill or anything.

Or in jail...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Hey, TOMMO! Nice to see you. Hope you haven't been ill or anything.

Or in jail...
    Just some simple heart surgery - quintuple bypass....

User Info Menu

Of course, simple...

Well, I'm not good at gushing, Tommo, but thank god it only took six weeks. All best wishes for a return to awesome health. The fags, booze and dope will have to go, of course, but at least you've still got the blues.

And lots of aspirin :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Just some simple heart surgery - quintuple bypass....
    Yikes! I told you Donna Lee was a bad idea!