The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 171

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    A very short solo and hard to coment ... I don't know where the chorus starts ...
    That's how I feel when I'm actually soloing. I don't know where the chorus starts!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This isn't a performance, it's an Irish military pastiche :-)

User Info Menu

I got this from a buddy yesterday, another approach for the 1st part.
    I like the descending in steps motion.

/Bmaj7 Ami7/ Gmaj7 Fmi7/ Ebmaj7 / Ami7 D7 /
    /Gmaj7 Fmi7/ Ebmaj7 Dbmi7/ Bmaj7 / Fmi7 Bb7 /

Here's a quick video where at first I just try to run chord tones over this part using this concept.
    Just some practising, I wish I had more time to really dig into it.

I tried setting up the amp close in front of the phone to cover the unplugged guitar tone. I practice at a low volume!

Last edited by Ronstuff; 01-10-2022 at 01:23 PM.

User Info Menu

I have these two books:
    1."Coltrane"- A Players Guide To His Harmony by W.Weiskopf & R.Ricker
    2.Vol 75 - [Countdown to Giant steps]-J.Aebersold
    There are a lot of exercises about how to play Giant Steps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    This isn't a performance, it's an Irish military pastiche :-)

I won't say anything ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff
    I got this from a buddy yesterday, another approach for the 1st part.
    I like the descending in steps motion.

/Bmaj7 Ami7/ Gmaj7 Fmi7/ Ebmaj7 / Ami7 D7 /
    /Gmaj7 Fmi7/ Ebmaj7 Dbmi7/ Bmaj7 / Fmi7 Bb7 /

Here's a quick video where at first I just try to run chord tones over this part using this concept.
    Just some practising, I wish I had more time to really dig into it.

I tried setting up the amp close in front of the phone to cover the unplugged guitar tone. I practice at a low volume!

Nice sounding Tele and nice playing.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Everybody’s at it!

User Info Menu

And I mean EVERYBODY.

User Info Menu

Nice sounding Tele and nice playing.
    Thanks Kris!

User Info Menu

I won't say anything ...
    You just did

See, I don't care if I can play Giant Steps or not! I don't care if anybody else can play it either. Especially that little mousey fellow who can do it at 300+. I'm glad I can't do that. It might be very clever but it's shallow and boring.

Anyway, a machine could do it faster and better. Get a machine to play it! But a machine could never put real feeling into Round Midnight or a tune like that. That takes something else. Thank god.
    Last edited by ragman1; 01-10-2022 at 08:19 PM.

User Info Menu

You just did

See, I don't care if I can play Giant Steps or not! I don't care if anybody else can play it either. Especially that little mousey fellow who can do it at 300+. I'm glad I can't do that. It might be very clever but it's shallow and boring.

Anyway, a machine could do it faster and better. Get a machine to play it! But a machine could never put real feeling into Round Midnight or a tune like that. That takes something else. Thank god.

By the way, where's your version? This isn't tit-for-tat but, as an advanced player, shouldn't you be showing us all how it's done? Or are you going to do another bossa nova?
    This kind of reply, and this censorious attitude ("shallow and boring") toward players who want to develop quicker tempo, and the general hostility is one reason I'm no longer posting on this thread. I think this kind of comment is unhelpful.

User Info Menu

By the way, where's your version? This isn't tit-for-tat but, as an advanced player, shouldn't you be showing us all how it's done? Or are you going to do another bossa nova?
    It’s in post no. 12.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    It’s in post no. 12.
    Ah! I overlooked it. Thank you, Graham. Take it all back, post amended accordingly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    This kind of reply, and this censorious attitude ("shallow and boring") toward players who want to develop quicker tempo, and the general hostility is one reason I'm no longer posting on this thread. I think this kind of comment is unhelpful.
    That's not the reason you're not posting, Lawson :-)

I do think it's shallow and boring. It's just an endless stream of notes without any real depth. For me, anyway.

I'm all for players wanting to play a bit faster and with more fluency, I wish I could do it myself, but that sort of ultra-rapid stuff isn't my bag. It's not hostile, or an attack, it's just the way it is. All a matter of taste, I suppose.

User Info Menu

That's not the reason you're not posting, Lawson :-)

I do think it's shallow and boring. It's just an endless stream of notes without any real depth. For me, anyway.

I'm all for players wanting to play a bit faster and with more fluency, I wish I could do it myself, but that sort of ultra-rapid stuff isn't my bag. It's not hostile, or an attack, it's just the way it is. All a matter of taste, I suppose.
    One last week of muck stirring before taking on the role of even-handed and generous-spirited moderator like a duck to ... uh ... Hey look over there!
    Last edited by John A.; 01-10-2022 at 11:45 PM.

User Info Menu

JGBE Virtual Jam  (Round 52) - GIANT STEPS-troll_ego01-png

User Info Menu

No moderating whatsoever. I'm just the functional hand that posts up the tune, nothing more.

By the way, send me your tunes, John. Soonest in, soonest heard.

Erm, by some odd coincidence I was just looking at your version here. You said you were trying to get it faster but you preferred to do it the way you did. So you also prefer it slower!

I'm not stirring, I was expressing a preference. And I stick to it. And if it provokes a reaction (FAR more hostile than anything I ever said) then good luck to 'em. I tell you, there are some weird people here. I have long ceased caring.

User Info Menu

No moderating whatsoever. I'm just the functional hand that posts up the tune, nothing more.

By the way, send me your tunes, John. Soonest in, soonest heard.

Erm, by some odd coincidence I was just looking at your version here. You said you were trying to get it faster but you preferred to do it the way you did. So you also prefer it slower!

I'm not stirring, I was expressing a preference. And I stick to it. And if it provokes a reaction (FAR more hostile than anything I ever said) then good luck to 'em. I tell you, there are some weird people here. I have long ceased caring.
    I do prefer it slow (and bossa), inspired by Pat Metheny's version. I can (and do) play it faster as well, though, but fall apart well short of Trane speeds, as I hope to be able to demonstrate in the next day or so. BTW, I did PM you 5 tunes. Did you want me to do something else?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I do prefer it slow (and bossa), inspired by Pat Metheny's version. I can (and do) play it faster as well, though, but fall apart well short of Trane speeds, as I hope to be able to demonstrate in the next day or so. BTW, I did PM you 5 tunes. Did you want me to do something else?
    My fault, I do apologise, I got you confused with someone else. Your tunes were good and the first to arrive. Your top of the list will be the first one up.

Sorry, must be late at night. 2am here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Lawson,

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. I miss your contributions.

I have found that judicious use of the ignore option improves my on-line experience.

User Info Menu

I played it like a waltz, is it a bad thing too ?

User Info Menu

This story has no end ...
    Ragman provokes with his playing and statements.
    And no one talks about what means to improvise in Giant Steps.
    It is a waste of time.

User Info Menu

It is a waste of time.
    No, some talk about it, there are good ideas, I call them "tricks", but those tricks can help to create moving lines (transposed motif or something like that).
    It's interesting.

User Info Menu

It is a waste of time.
    Oh, I'm happy to talk about improvising over Giant Steps.

Why do people find it so difficult? I'll tell you, not that it's not obvious. Because 99% of people are trained in functional harmony. That is, chord progressions that flow, that make sense, that are pleasantly melodic, or bluesy, or something like that.

The Giant Steps progression is obviously contrived. It's put together to demonstrate (if that's the right word) a concept whereby the keys reflect an augmented triad. Which isn't usual at all. Not only that but the bars and keys cross over into each other. Not only that, but one's supposed to play it at high speed. Apparently, as Graham pointed out, Coltrane practised it for a whole year before he could record it.

So it means you can no longer let your fingers do things semi-automatically, which they will if you're practised enough. Your brain is going to find itself tripped up at every turn. It flies in the face of good practice. It's counter-intuitive.

But, apparently, it's something we want to do. Presumably because it's there. It becomes a challenge. The trouble is there are plenty of people who can play beautifully but find themselves caught out here. So it's a quandary - do it or desert it. If you can do it you're a hero, if you desert it you're chicken, or useless.

Rather sad, isn't it? It entirely overlooks the fact that some peoples' brains work naturally faster than others. Playing extremely rapidly is easy for them, practice or no practice. Others find themselves left far behind, like a race. So it engenders winners and losers. It becomes competitive, comparative. It encourages envy. We need to do it to keep in with the in-crowd, and all that - all the sort of thinking that's the bane of this world.

So I decline, personally. But I can sort of play it in my own way. Which is good enough for me. But I've no interest in torturing myself, that's for sure.

As for actually playing it, I have no idea. There are lots of tricks and shortcuts about but basically you just have to do it till you can do it. If you think it's worth it, that is.

Deep down, I suppose I wish I could do it. I could romp through it and that would be that. But I can't, so too bad! Such is life :-)