Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 171

User Info Menu

Midi File if i remember....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I'm glad you appreciated it. Your taste is impeccable :-)
    Unfortunately, the speed change is noticeable.

User Info Menu

mind blowing..ill stick to 4 part hymn songs...kid cheated..Telepathic connection to McCoy Tyner......

User Info Menu

OK, I react to something I read about the changes.
    Like you know, I'm not a guitarist but for the first time, I will use guitar tricks which Christian Miller and Kris described.
    It's not musical but 100 % guitaristic, unfortunately I forgot to add some musicality.
    I'm not trolling.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    Great Irish rendition !
    The Giant’s Causeway Reel.

User Info Menu

Here's mine. With a little electronic help, naturally

How so? Do you mean you sped up the playback?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    He doubled the tempo without changing pitch, by the sound of it. Easily done with one of the effects in Audacity.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    He doubled the tempo without changing pitch, by the sound of it. Easily done with one of the effects in Audacity.
    He seems (and sounds) like more of a cassette kinda guy, but yeah, I meant did he fiddle with the tempo electronically?

User Info Menu

He seems (and sounds) like more of a cassette kinda guy, but yeah, I meant did he fiddle with the tempo electronically?
    Yes, like this !

User Info Menu

Ragman has said before that he records with Audacity, so yes, I am sure he applied the effect I mentioned.

I have used it myself to slow down recordings for transcribing them. It has a ‘high quality’ option which can alter the tempo with minimal artefacts or distortion.

Change Tempo - Audacity Manual

User Info Menu

Classified

Actually I don't remember now is the truth. Octaves, I expect, some speeding, I don't know. But I didn't write it out beforehand, I know that, I never do, so the lines are genuine. Cassettes, incidentally, are extinct, it's all computer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Ragman has said before that he records with Audacity, so yes, I am sure he applied the effect I mentioned.

I have used it myself to slow down recordings for transcribing them. It has a ‘high quality’ option which can alter the tempo with minimal artefacts or distortion.

Change Tempo - Audacity Manual
    Ragman can surprise everyone.

User Info Menu

Exactly, Kris, that's the idea. It's only a bit of fun. Obviously I can't play Giant Steps at that speed! Analysing it is so miserable.

User Info Menu

Anyway, as you love me so much, here's a slow one wot I did last night. The secret here is that there are six places in the progression that have a whole bar of a major chord. So I reckoned I could probably play the relevant major scale over everything before those places and it would then resolve neatly. So three bars of Eb, four bars of B, etc.

I wasn't sure it would work but it did. No one will like it, of course, because it's not zippy. That's why I posted the other one.

User Info Menu

I heard the usual advice, years ago, about playing through GS by playing in three tonal centers. But, shifting between them, particularly in the first 8 bars didn't seem easy.

The following helped me eventually find my way through the tune.

Consider the last 10 bars.

First eliminate the iim, so that, for example, bar 8 is all Bb7 -- there is no Fm7.

Bar 7 is Bmaj7 and bar 8 is Bb7. A major chord drops a half step to a dom7 chord. Bb7 is heard as a V7.

Bar 9 is Ebmaj7. That is seen as the I major for Bb7..

Bar 10 -- same thing. Major chord drops a half step to a V7

And, so on. The remainder of the tune is the same pattern (except for the last bar).

Play the pattern (major, V7 a half step below, to major, rinse and repeat) often enough to hear that sequence and you can hear the bulk of the tune.

The last bar of the tune breaks the pattern. So you have to be able to hear the tune in your mind and hear where the C#m7 comes in. Then it's a ii V to the Bmaj.

Notice that Bars 3 and 4 are the same major-V7-halfstepbelow pattern.

That leaves bars 1 and 2 and bars 5 and 6. The harmonic sequence is the same, in one case starting on B in the other, starting on G.

There is a ii V between the last two beats of bar one and the first two beats of bar 2. But, I didn't find it helpful to think about it as a ii V. I just heard it as a lick. Once I internalized the sound, which is facilitated by how it follows the melody, I could play through it. Similarly for bars 5 and 6.

I did find it helpful to think of a V7 to Imaj for the Bb7 in bar 2 to the Ebmaj7 in bar 3.

SUMMARY:

There are two key points.

1. Hear bars 1-2 and 5-6 as a lick.

2. Hear the pattern of Major to dom7-a-half-step-down, to I major.

User Info Menu

Sorry, scrub that post, didn't read it properly. Quite right, simple pattern.
    Last edited by ragman1; 01-09-2022 at 09:55 PM.

User Info Menu

I think the issue is being able to hear two patterns.

One is the opening lick.

The other is major to V7 a half step down, then that V7 to the next major.

I added a Summary to the earlier post to make this point clearer.

User Info Menu

some speeding
    You’re nicked, sunshine.

JGBE Virtual Jam  (Round 52) - GIANT STEPS-fc7d9297-fd62-4b51-8421-6bacbfc6c796-jpeg

User Info Menu

Giants Sweats!!!

User Info Menu

But at that speed how on earth can one possibly think about all that while playing, or any other detailed analysis? I've never understood that at all.
    You kind of have to practice the things until you don’t have to think about them?

Maybe that’s the extra step that you’re looking for…

User Info Menu

Here's a quick take. Haven't had much motivation to play this week. Got a constant feeling of nervousness and dread. More emergency tests for the kids this morning. Anyway, here's Wonderwall...errr...I mean, Giant Steps.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Always good to check in and see where you stand with this one... Have enjoyed the playing so far. Flute one had some nice lines too.

And for anyone seeing this who knows me... it's a weekend. So yeah somewhat disheveled.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Here's a quick take. Haven't had much motivation to play this week. Got a constant feeling of nervousness and dread. More emergency tests for the kids this morning. Anyway, here's Wonderwall...errr...I mean, Giant Steps.

A very short solo and hard to coment ... I don't know where the chorus starts ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    A very short solo and hard to coment ... I don't know where the chorus starts ...
    No tricks, I started on the first chord.