The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 38 of 38

User Info Menu

Shall I assume I'm doing this? It won't be for week or so yet so make any objections known.

For those who don't like me/aren't talking to me send me your tunes anyway. No need for any personal involvement. It'll all happen in strict order of receipt, there'll be no personal bias on my part, either of tune or sender.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Shall I assume I'm doing this? It won't be for week or so yet so make any objections known.

For those who don't like me/aren't talking to me send me your tunes anyway. No need for any personal involvement. It'll all happen in strict order of receipt, there'll be no personal bias on my part, either of tune or sender.
    As far as I'm concerned, you the man. I don't like you, but I don't like the rest of humanity either. Nothing you can do about it.

User Info Menu

I don't know, you can always pee on their lawn. If they've got a lawn.

User Info Menu

Thanks Jeff for all of your work! It’s been a great outlet for me. I never would have made this amount videos of myself playing. Helped me to be able to just play and record and get it out there.

I am once again going back to teaching online…I teach music at the elementary level. Hope it won’t be for too long.

Cool to have the jam continue, I will try to drop by every now and then. I have recorded an album of original tunes and will be busy working on releasing it.

User Info Menu

As VIP you can pee on any lawn, except perhaps the Queen’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I might need to drink more water.

User Info Menu

yea Jeff, thanks, it does take time, and your great with people.

I've been wanting to start a thread about how to play jazz tunes... starting with understanding how to comp and create...
    Head arrangements... usually just done verbally at gigs. I'm not sure it could work with this thread, but part of the requirement is knowing the tunes and some basing performance skills. Thread basically did that.

What you would learn is...
    Basic compositional and arranging concepts...
    Form
    Basic rhythmic patterns (terms)
    Basic harmony and jazz concepts and terms...

So you could just go through the same tunes and maybe get some better understandings of how they can be performed with musical terms that describe the Head arrangement.

How many of you who posted tunes would be able to play a gig tonight with tunes to be pulled from the list of tunes from jam thread. Not that it matters, but it can be part of learning how to play jazz etc...

Anyway, again thanks to Jeff again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    yea Jeff, thanks, it does take time, and your great with people.

I've been wanting to start a thread about how to play jazz tunes... starting with understanding how to comp and create...
    Head arrangements... usually just done verbally at gigs. I'm not sure it could work with this thread, but part of the requirement is knowing the tunes and some basing performance skills. Thread basically did that.

What you would learn is...
    Basic compositional and arranging concepts...
    Form
    Basic rhythmic patterns (terms)
    Basic harmony and jazz concepts and terms...

So you could just go through the same tunes and maybe get some better understandings of how they can be performed with musical terms that describe the Head arrangement.

How many of you who posted tunes would be able to play a gig tonight with tunes to be pulled from the list of tunes from jam thread. Not that it matters, but it can be part of learning how to play jazz etc...

Anyway, again thanks to Jeff again.
    I would say “Start that thread Reg”.

It sounds great and informative. I would gladly follow that thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Being an organist, I'm being forced to learn all that. You have to determine what groove to use. I usually just use quarter notes as a bassline, but I can also use half notes or something more rhythmic. I have to alternate between the melody on the upper manual and backup comping ideas or phrases on the lower manual. I have to punctuate the form and change sounds. It's friggin hard lol! I would participate in that thread.

User Info Menu

^Go for it Reg! I'm always ready to learn jazz stuff, given time.

User Info Menu

Yea... I don't really want to run the thread. But would gladly add some technical performance aspects to each tune. Which could help with performance approaches as I posted above. I'll try and not get technical and keep theory related to tunes. Show what I'm BSing about. Or just start another thread which could parallel this thread.... I don't really care. I think the thread is important aspect of this forum, and should keep going and develop.

User Info Menu

Due to RL obligations that won't be letting up too soon, I'm guilty of lurking rather than participating, but I did want to thank you, Jeff, for starting the virtual jam and for running it this past year. It's a great idea, you have been a great thread-runner, and I really enjoy it.

Best,

SJ

Dr3w Guest
    Hi Jeff, all:

I just wanted to thank you for doing this. I've been a guitar hack since -- yeah, dunno. Forty years ago? -- and Covid confinement led me to try to learn to play some jazz. I've followed this thread as sort of a voyeur almost since it began. I've hoped to contribute, but it takes me a month to get one tune where I have any confidence with it. Nevertheless, I've really enjoyed this, learned a lot, and enjoyed (admittedly, pathologically) sort of getting to know the regulars here.

@Jeff: I live in Palos (just sown the road from you, I think). If you're gonna do some jams in the area, I'd love to see you play. Maybe I can say 'hi' and carry your amp for you or something!

Cheers,
    Drew