The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

We'll get things up and running again next week, but this week, let's take a breath...post your favorite take of this past year.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Softly, As In A Morning Sunrise

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    We'll get things up and running again next week, but this week, let's take a breath...post your favorite take of this past year.
    Our own or other peoples?

I promptly forget mine because the next one's more important. If other peoples then... I can't remember that either! Graham's bebop was quite good. Alter's stuff is usually worth it.

Sorry, I'm not good at the past.

User Info Menu

I think this is one of my best takes on virtual Covid jazz jam.
    Happy New Year 2022...
    So What

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I think this is one of my best takes on virtual Covid jazz jam.
    Happy New Year 2022...
    So What

Very nice and funny ! Great humour !
    This my So What ?
    I didn't want to record, I was just trying.

User Info Menu

Kris -

Yes, I remember that one! It was good, you're right.

And Happy New Year too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Our own or other peoples?

I promptly forget mine because the next one's more important. If other peoples then... I can't remember that either! Graham's bebop was quite good. Alter's stuff is usually worth it.

Sorry, I'm not good at the past.
    Hey, why not both/either?

User Info Menu

Of the ones I have heard and remember, there was one by Kris which I know I described as "exquisite", but damn, I don't remember which jam it was! See if I have time later to find it (and other "favs").

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Of the ones I have heard and remember, there was one by Kris which I know I described as "exquisite", but damn, I don't remember which jam it was! See if I have time later to find it (and other "favs").
    Here it is: Maiden Voyage. I dug it even more hearing it a second (and a third) time, superb musicianship. Enjoy!
    Box

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Here it is: Maiden Voyage. I dug it even more hearing it a second (and a third) time, superb musicianship. Enjoy!
    Box
    Thanks Peter,
    Happy New Year 2022
    Jazzingly
    Kris

User Info Menu

Here are some of the posts that immediately came to mind that I thought were just great pieces from the series followed by what I liked the best of my contribution. There are more that I will find and post as the week progresses

User Info Menu

I had two tunes in particular that were just fun to finally learn and play around with. Maybe not "best takes" but for me, among the most satisfying.

Nica's Dream

Unit 7

User Info Menu

I have appreciated this thread from the beginning.

It has been fun and enlightening to hear all the different approaches to the tunes.

I've found things to like (and steal) in these performances.

Over the year, one of the major points that was brought home, yet again, is how that I gravitate towards the improvisations with a certain kind of propulsive time-feel. This thread has caused me to redouble my efforts to improve in that area.

Overall, that's a pretty valuable guitar lesson.

Thanks to all and best for the New Year.

Rick

User Info Menu

Tough call. You guys all had so many great takes I just don’t know how to pick. I went back to the beginning of my participation and was pleasantly surprised by my take on Beatrice. It’s a weird, cool tune—one that I had never heard before—but not so complicated or long or intimidating. I think I made the most of it with this take, just flying by the seat of my pants.

Had a lot of fun with Nardis as well:

Thanks again, Jeff. Hoping that we can keep this going in 2022.

User Info Menu

Missed a bunch of the latest threads. I guess after being so much into computer teaching and playing these last couple of years, I took a break from it when music reopened.

One of my posts that I liked was Unit 7!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Missed a bunch of the latest threads. I guess after being so much into computer teaching and playing these last couple of years, I took a break from it when music reopened.

One of my posts that I liked was Unit 7!
    Great playing Alter.
    A great guitar solo full of optimism.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

I usually hear things I don't like in my playing, but I was quite pleased with how this one came out. It still has plenty of errors in it though, I can hear them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I usually hear things I don't like in my playing, but I was quite pleased with how this one came out. It still has plenty of errors in it though, I can hear them!

Great playing with a lot of nice jazz ideas-beautiful jazz lines.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Thanks kris.

And happy new year to y’all!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Thanks kris.

And happy new year to y’all!
    Happy New Year 2022...:-)

User Info Menu

I can't go back and dredge something up but I was looking at the list and it's got Iris on it, which I liked a lot. So here's a few choruses of that, no head. Strange fellow, that Shorter.

User Info Menu

Shorter is OK...but............ -----------

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Shorter is OK...but............ -----------
    ... but strange, I know :-)

User Info Menu

I thought this was one of the better ones.

There are a couple of you who I think have made some real advances and it's been cool to hear that.

User Info Menu

I found this in the files (made May 31) if we want some fun. It's supposed to be vaguely humorous, naturally :-)