The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Last edited by Samdols; 12-23-2021 at 03:19 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

In the examples, the rhythm guitar sounds rather robotic to my ears, so not a good platform to transmit the "gracia" (flair) with which the original phrases were played. Without that, we're just seeing the notes and it runs the risk of becoming a mechanical exrecise.

I don't come from a jazz background and was recently researching II V Is and came to the kind of conclusion that you have sweat it and make up your own licks for it to sound convincing. It's like mini-compositions. Or, play the lick exactly like Martino did, for example.

All JMO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Samdols
    A very good example of how to practice 251.
    First you have to write down 251 of the master's solo and then start playing with a slow tempo.
    I would also add the ability to play in different keys.
    Nice work.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    In the examples, the rhythm guitar sounds rather robotic to my ears, so not a good platform to transmit the "gracia" (flair) with which the original phrases were played. Without that, we're just seeing the notes and it runs the risk of becoming a mechanical exrecise.
    The rhythm guitar isn't the focus here; it's the solo. The rhythm guitar's purpose is to land each of the chords clearly so that you can understand the solo in the context of the II-V-I.

Nearly everything one learns that is new starts out as a mechanical exercise since that's how you get the notes under your fingers. Only once you've internalized the notes can one then work on the flair.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    I don't come from a jazz background and was recently researching II V Is and came to the kind of conclusion that you have sweat it and make up your own licks for it to sound convincing. It's like mini-compositions.All JMO.
    I have trouble (or am just too lazy) to memorize other people licks so I am onboard with this method Knowing the concepts of how to create a sound ii V I is the key. Then eventually you can create these lines on the fly. Obviously listening to the masters and trying to emulate them can only help.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    I have trouble (or am just too lazy) to memorize other people licks so I am onboard with this method Knowing the concepts of how to create a sound ii V I is the key. Then eventually you can create these lines on the fly. Obviously listening to the masters and trying to emulate them can only help.
    So how are going to know the concepts of how to create sound II-V-I's and how are you going to emulate the masters if you're not willing to study other people lines?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wannabebopper
    So how are going to know the concepts of how to create sound II-V-I's and how are you going to emulate the masters if you're not willing to study other people lines?
    My point is I rather know how to create the lines rather than mimic someone’s lines. I have never been good at memorizing someone else’s solos though I’ve tried and tried.

And I repeat “obviously listening to the masters and trying to emulate them can only help”.

I had that Bert Ligon book where he discusses the formulae for ii V I’s and then gives numerous examples.