The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yeah titles says it all. Anyone tried Jamulus for real?

Jamulus ‒ Play music online. With friends. For free.

P.S.: Possibly wrong board, just didn't know where to put it. If misplaced, mods, please move it... thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I read about it. Interesting idea.
    I have wi-fi internet.Jamulus do not work well with it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DonEsteban
    Yeah titles says it all. Anyone tried Jamulus for real?

Jamulus ? Play music online. With friends. For free.

P.S.: Possibly wrong board, just didn't know where to put it. If misplaced, mods, please move it... thanks
    Always struggled with Jamulus due to distance from servers.( I'm in Australia)

Jamkazam works most of the time but costs to get a good service. Socal aspect is great.

Sonobus is by far my faverate, its free and great quality sound but less public jams than Jamkazam.

I have tried most others but have trouble with the complex setups etc.

great fun and I get to play with some great muso's from all around the world. some even get by with WiFi in small groups.
    I have played with people using their Iphones and Ipads and still had fun.

cheers

Mike

User Info Menu

That website has a pdf all about how it works and what it is like to use (see section 3.1 of the pdf):

https://jamulus.io/PerformingBandReh...ithJamulus.pdf

User Info Menu

Yeah... I'm into it, just never saw anyone from this forum there... hence my question...

User Info Menu

Saved us during Covid, but was not without imperfection. As another has pointed out, Australia’s internet connection speed - even in major cities was turned into a political football that left it shamefully slow. Even at 56Mbps it will show signs of jitter and delay.
    That said- it was free without subscriptions and provided someone was able to figure out a private server it worked out.
    We used google meets to provide the visual feedback and an ensemble of 5 novices + instructor was still able to stitch together 4 or 5 tunes over the space of 6 or 7 weeks.
    Microphone quality and placement made the user experience quite important.

User Info Menu

I should add- the City I live in was under pretty tight lockdown for around 3 months. Including restricted mobility and strict work from home unless you could obtain a specific permit to travel more than 5km from your home. It was not until we as a state obtain a vaccination status of 75% (double dosage) that we could see each other to practice face to face again. Travel outside the city limits was not permitted until 80%.
    The music school’s whole program had to face the same thing at all age groups. Without Jamulus it’s cashflow would have effectively ceased I suspect.
    From an emotional point of view personally I struggled through lockdown and my Tuesday night sessions became a high point getting me through those weeks.
    As a side note, the state is currently sitting at >90% double vaccinated which is a minor miracle in itself.

So all up I am grateful for its existence at the time but nothing beat being in the same room!

User Info Menu

I tried it about a half year ago. I play in a couple of bigbands, one switched to zoom meetings without any playing together, the other bigband went to Jamulus. I bought the focusrite, some cables and a headphone...wired it up and... thought I was ready to go. But it was an absolute disaster, I could hear all the other instruments and they could hear me as well. The problem that I (we) encountered was timing. We were never on the same beat. The drummer, some others and myself were about a quarter note off,
    And I did have the internet connection wired up instead of the normal wireless. Apperantly this must have been due to delays or internet speed differences or ??
    It did not work out to something usefull. We switched to Zoom meetings and started to play along with the songs that were our own recordings or you tube clips and play along from the sheet music.
    Since yesterday morning there is a lockdown again in the Netherlands where I live. Whatever that may bring, no more Jamulus for me.