The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

RunningBeagle has picked a great tune for this week, hip, yet accessible. Enjoy!

Virtual Jam (Round 48) - Ceora-1639079235903-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Beautiful song, I look forward to doing this one!

User Info Menu

I'll kick it off. Thanks for the opportunity to pick one, Jeff!

User Info Menu

Man i gotta say I haven’t had this much fun learning a tune in a while! Great call runningbeagle! Great playing on the video, love the chord soloing.

User Info Menu

Heres a take, might have to double down on this one with a little bit more tempo and maybe a different click placement. Need some more time with the recording though thats for sure

Last edited by mastodonovan; 12-10-2021 at 10:53 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

A little of the old in and out. The old quick and dirty. The sometimes lost, the sometimes found.

User Info Menu

Would like to spend more time on this but here’s my contribution so far. Great clips so far!

User Info Menu

Had a few moments to plug in...not enough for a second take, so here's too many notes.

Going to listen to what everyone has been up to now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    Would like to spend more time on this but here’s my contribution so far. Great clips so far!

Really liked that extended bit of fast runs around 1:30 or so. You get some nice thunk.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Had a few moments to plug in...not enough for a second take, so here's too many notes.

Going to listen to what everyone has been up to now.

I just realized something about your playing: your lines have a definite starting point, a definite ending point, and always take an interesting path getting from start to finish. You also make good use of the full range of the instrument, often in the same line or group of lines. Very admirable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr;[URL="tel:1164371"
    1164371[/URL]]Really liked that extended bit of fast runs around 1:30 or so. You get some nice thunk.
    Ive got a love hate relationship with this guitar. I love the way it feels, plays, and looks. The sound however is very temperamental. Some days I get a beautiful thunky classic tone and other times I just can’t dial it in. Overall I play hard and every guitar of mine the high e is always very shrill and plinky. I’m not sure what to do, maybe string 13 or 14’s instead of 12’s??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    Overall I play hard and every guitar of mine the high e is always very shrill and plinky. I’m not sure what to do, maybe string 13 or 14’s instead of 12’s??
    Same. I think it’s my technique mainly. Something about pick angle and pick strength. I grew up doing lots of big rake-picked bends and so I think I have a long-lived bad habit of over picking the treble strings. If I am super careful I can control it but it requires so much effort that i lose focus on everything else.

User Info Menu

Went for the chamber jazz vibe again, I'm getting hooked on it!.
    With my bass player buddy.

And BTW if anyone wants to hear a track from an album I will be releasing in january, check out the "Fourth Impression" thread in the Showcase section.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff
    Went for the chamber jazz vibe again, I'm getting hooked on it!.
    With my bass player buddy.

And BTW if anyone wants to hear a track from an album I will be releasing in january, check out the "Fourth Impression" thread in the Showcase section.
    That was great. Not to make too much of comparisons, but it reminded me a bit of Joe Pass’s playing on Intercontinental mixed with Ed Bickert. Did you arrange any of this, or was it all improvised? Have you played this tune a lot?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    That was great. Not to make too much of comparisons, but it reminded me a bit of Joe Pass’s playing on Intercontinental mixed with Ed Bickert. Did you arrange any of this, or was it all improvised? Have you played this tune a lot?
    Thanks for the compliment. Well you’re absolutely right, I have been checking out some Joe Pass in the last few months, and for sure Bickert and Lenny Breau as well! I had never heard the tune, and i’m glad it made me discover the great album it’s on. Nothing was worked out, but obviously I have my little ‘go to’ chordal tricks that I’m trying to elaborate upon. Also Checking out some stuff from Barry Galbraith.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff;[URL="tel:1164406"
    1164406[/URL]]And BTW if anyone wants to hear a track from an album I will be releasing in january, check out the "Fourth Impression" thread in the Showcase section.
    I’ll definitely check it out

User Info Menu

I dig the second take Rag, nice one.

I forgot to mention that Beagle and Donovan, loved those chord soloing at the end!

User Info Menu

Finally got to sit down and make a few comments...very high level takes this week!

Beagle, very hip, nice angles, great stuff. And some cool chordal stuff at the end, you left me hanging, I was ready to hear where that was going!

mastodonovan, the chordal stuff was just outstanding. would love to hear you with a track versus a click...or even just solo.

rag, very much your thing. always enjoy what you do on a bossa.

wzpgsr, you go in this motific bit about a minute in that I really enjoy. also like the idea of going with a sort of "Abercrombie ish" tone.

triple, great energy and snap as usual. good balance between the faster bits and the melody.

Ron, beautiful little chordal bits too...you all have me so inspired to take on that kind of approach, I wish I had time in these last few days this week...this is a rune I will return to.

User Info Menu

Hey all - just wanted to say I appreciate all the participation on this one. I was nervous on how the tune would be received, but it was cool to see all the different takes, which I enjoyed very much! Also haven't thought about Ed Bickert in a long time - will have to revisit.

User Info Menu

Just a wacky last blast, keeps me amused. Roll on the next one

User Info Menu

Hey Guys, I've had no time to do anything with this due to other musical stuff going on and day-job time-suck. I may be able to take a crack at it tonight.

Wow. So many excellent interpretations. I am really stunned how quickly you are able to pick up new tunes and the variety of styles is just amazing.

I am following for a few weeks and typically can only to get the chord progressions half-baked right. But
    your dedication to music helps me to keep practicing and at some point I‘ll dare to share my takes, too.