The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Hello jazz guitar lovers,
    Will there be a group of guitarists who would like to participate in such jam?
    The rules were very simple, and they can be worked out together by experienced musicians.
    What do you think about it?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

RunningBeagle tried to do it or kind of.
    Ask him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Hello jazz guitar lovers,
    Will there be a group of guitarists who would like to participate in such jam?
    The rules were very simple, and they can be worked out together by experienced musicians.
    What do you think about it?
    What specifically do you have in mind?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    What specifically do you have in mind?
    Hi John,
    I would like it to be like that we set the tempo of the tune and let's say the length of the solo and make a video of the musicians playing one by one.
    I guess it would be realistic to do.
    Of course, we would have to determine the details.

User Info Menu

Hi John,
    I would like it to be like that we set the tempo of the tune and let's say the length of the solo and make a video of the musicians playing one by one.
    Honestly, I know you're currently out of the current jam threads, but I do think they need a new direction as we come up on one full year of it, and this would be a very interesting way of doing it.

It would require someone to cut and paste people's takes together, which I do not have the time or the know how to pull off.

User Info Menu

Hi John,
    I think it makes more sense to suggest that as a refinement of the existing "jam" threads than as a whole separate stream. Something along the lines of "OK, this week's tune is Joy Spring; option 1: do it at your own pace. Option 2: use this backing track, 200 BPM; head + 2 choruses." In my opinion, it's a good thing that there are people of different levels working on stuff together, and I think it's kind of divisive to say "this thread is for the good players; that one is for the rest of you." Also, I think it's inevitable that there will be conflict over who actually counts as advanced, and how the less advanced players are separated out. The forum is what it is -- a broad range of abilities and personalities mixing together.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I think it makes more sense to suggest that as a refinement of the existing "jam" threads than as a whole separate stream. Something along the lines of "OK, this week's tune is Joy Spring; option 1: do it at your own pace. Option 2: use this backing track, 200 BPM; head + 2 choruses." In my opinion, it's a good thing that there are people of different levels working on stuff together, and I think it's kind of divisive to say "this thread is for the good players; that one is for the rest of you." Also, I think it's inevitable that there will be conflict over who actually counts as advanced, and how the less advanced players are separated out. The forum is what it is -- a broad range of abilities and personalities mixing together.
    I understand.You're right.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

I understand.You're right.
    Best
    Kris
    There is a radio program in "France Musique" called "Repassez-moi le standard".
    There is a standard, during one hour, they play the same standard but different versions.
    It's interesting, if everyone plays on the same backing track it is not so interesting.
    The goal is to create something original without backing track.
    Nobody imitates nobody.
    If someone negatively comments, he has to play.
    Like a Fight Club.
    If someone has already played something and wants to repost a new version. It has to be different, not the same playing.

User Info Menu

It cannot be that someone gives the name of the song and no one has played it before.
    Then it's learning new songs and for a limited time.
    You have to set a track that everyone knows.
    Only then can you hear how the soloist plays and what kind of workshop he has at his disposal.
    Of course, if someone feels strong enough to play without mastering the piece, he can try.
    Regarding the tempo of the tune:
    It should be agreed because it is necessary to create a video clip.
    The styles may vary but the tempo will be constant.
    Then it will be more like real jam.
    You will be able to compare the solos in one video.
    Last edited by kris; 12-10-2021 at 05:14 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    There is a radio program in "France Musique" called "Repassez-moi le standard".
    There is a standard, during one hour, they play the same standard but different versions.
    It's interesting, if everyone plays on the same backing track it is not so interesting.
    The goal is to create something original without backing track.
    Nobody imitates nobody.
    If someone negatively comments, he has to play.
    Like a Fight Club.
    If someone has already played something and wants to repost a new version. It has to be different, not the same playing.
    Do they play the radio on the same backing track?
    Backing tracks,styles can be different.
    The tempo should be the same for all backing tracks.
    If we talk about jam.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Honestly, I know you're currently out of the current jam threads, but I do think they need a new direction as we come up on one full year of it, and this would be a very interesting way of doing it.

It would require someone to cut and paste people's takes together, which I do not have the time or the know how to pull off.
    It doesn't matter if I'm currently out or not.
    I think one video with nice players solos would be very valuable.

User Info Menu

Do they play the radio on the same backing track?
    Backing tracks,styles can be different.
    The tempo should be the same for all backing tracks.
    If we talk about jam.
    This is the program.
    Repassez moi l'standard
    Last edited by Lionelsax; 12-10-2021 at 06:02 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    This is the program.
    Repassez moi l'standard
    Nice.I like it.

User Info Menu

Good luck virtual jam in 2022.