The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

wzpgsr, listening back again, it would be interesting to hear what you came up with if you had a bit more time to polish some of your lines, because I see real potential there.

Again Ron, nice second take

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    wzpgsr, listening back again, it would be interesting to hear what you came up with if you had a bit more time to polish some of your lines, because I see real potential there.

Again Ron, nice second take
    Thanks Peter. I’m a throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks kind of player. I’ve always wanted to transcribe a complete solo from one of these weekly jam takes to iron out all the wrinkles as a sort-of etude—I’ve done a few phrases here and there but nothing seems to stick around for very long. As you say, hopefully with time I’ll get better at executing ideas in real-time.

User Info Menu

Wanted to comment on some of the last posts, and damn, it seems like I have the same compliment for Ron, wzpgsr, and John A.-- such great feel by all three of you, all different types of feel, but great stuff.

Gotta say wzpgsr, that tone is to die for too. Would have never considered it as a ballad, but slow blues is great so why wouldn't it work?

Ron, it was cool to see how playing the head in different locations informed the overall shape of your solo.

And John, there's almost always a lick in your takes that really makes me smile, there were several this week, but around 1:22 was my favorite...great use of chromatics to get a little "outside."

User Info Menu

OK, I've had a chance to listen to these all a couple of times through.

Trips: Excellent take. Really good job on the head and good stuff throughout the solo.

Jeff: All three takes are cool. I like the way you ornament the head. On the one with just the metronome, I thought I caught some KB quotes there; great bluesisms on the tele one; burning on the sideburns take.

Max O'Donovan: some very cool chromatic stuff in there. Lots of fun.

WQXR: I dig the slow take, especially with the organ. Feels very Grant Green-y to me. Lots of fun. Great sounding guitar too.

Ron: I didn't find the higher octave jarring, but I thought it did sound better lower. The second take sounds great. Really cooking.

User Info Menu

Better late than never. I'm enjoying these and listening to the other approaches. Good stuff all.

User Info Menu

You're doing very well, chaps. I didn't want to duck it but, after getting the head up to a reasonable level, I found that what I was soloing wasn't the same style... no good. But I like the Bird blues changes so I've just noodled over them.

Sorry, not much to do with Freight Trane but it'll have to do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    You're doing very well, chaps. I didn't want to duck it but, after getting the head up to a reasonable level, I found that what I was soloing wasn't the same style... no good. But I like the Bird blues changes so I've just noodled over them.

Sorry, not much to do with Freight Trane but it'll have to do.

Definitely have your own style. Sounded good.