The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 32

User Info Menu

This week's pick courtesy of one of our newer members, mastodonovan, and its a good one, a fast paced "Parker" blues. Enjoy!

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 47) - Freight Trane-1638453702892-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice, I really like this tune! Here’s a cut I made last summer 2020. I’d like to cut a new one this weekend and compare my progress from now to then.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    Nice, I really like this tune! Here’s a cut I made last summer 2020. I’d like to cut a new one this weekend and compare my progress from now to then.

I also love that entire album and the head of that tune. I might have to post a clip if I can get the melody down.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz

That's really nice. Enjoyed the whole clip!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone;[URL="tel:1162476"
    1162476[/URL]]That's really nice. Enjoyed the whole clip!
    Thank you

Charlieparker if you’re referring to the Kenny B and John C album, then I totally agree. Love that album, huge influence on me.

User Info Menu

This guy can do it. I can't.

User Info Menu

Decided to face up with a metronome only post as I skate the changes waaay to much on an uptempo Parker blues...so here's an attempt to bring out the harmony a bit more with no backing track.

Hopefully some other folks will get in on this one...it is fast...the head is super fun though.

Triple, listening to your take again. This is definitely a great tune for you, bluesy, hard swinging, nice bop lines...very enjoyable.

User Info Menu

Triple jazz and Mr.Beaumont those were great! Lots of savory bluesy ideas in each of your videos. In my typical jam session fashion i was in over my head and bailed in a couple choruses lol.
    Last edited by mastodonovan; 12-03-2021 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Spelling/grammar

User Info Menu

As someone who hasn't spent much time trying to play Parker Blues, does anyone have any tips for playing over these changes? Do people try and nail all the changes?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by charlieparker
    As someone who hasn't spent much time trying to play Parker Blues, does anyone have any tips for playing over these changes? Do people try and nail all the changes?
    You can...or not.

I like to pare it down to one change per bar...but you can skate everything, as I have been very guilty of, and still make it work.

Here's a few versions of this tune I've done where I cheat like crazy. Love this tune...it was used for years as the theme to the local public television restaurant review show "Check Please!," which I tried desperately to get on for ages

User Info Menu

I'm back in the saddle, but based on my first outing tonight after a month of hardly playing any jazz at all, I'm gonna need a couple of days to try and whip myself into shape. Missed this group!

User Info Menu

How do you all learn to play the head? Do you play it with a metronome and actually count it out? Or do you just play it by feel. I'm having a hard time nailing it. I've been trying to play it by feel but I keep coming in on the wrong beat for different parts of it.

User Info Menu

Re: the head: I've listened to it often enough that I have the melody memorized so I'm familiar with the phrasing. Playing it in tempo (or even close) is another thing. I once learned it good enough to play it quite fast but my muscle memory seems to have been lost at least for some parts of it.

User Info Menu

How do you all learn to play the head? Do you play it with a metronome and actually count it out? Or do you just play it by feel. I'm having a hard time nailing it. I've been trying to play it by feel but I keep coming in on the wrong beat for different parts of it.
    I haven’t played this tune before and attempted to learn the head yesterday. I listened and tried to sing the melody, then I played it slowly from the sheet and then along with the recording on YouTube at 50%. I find parts of it difficult to memorise. For me bar 9 feels off some how.

User Info Menu

id try going very slow with the metronome or very slow with the recording slowed down. Maybe even try singing the melody notes saying there rhythmic placement. I.e the pick up “and four and one and…and one and two and three and four and one and two and three and….and two and three and four and oneeee .. and a three and

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by charlieparker;[URL="tel:1162714"
    1162714[/URL]]How do you all learn to play the head? Do you play it with a metronome and actually count it out? Or do you just play it by feel. I'm having a hard time nailing it. I've been trying to play it by feel but I keep coming in on the wrong beat for different parts of it.
    I learned about 85% of this by ear from the recording. The bits I was unsure if I solidified with the real book. I usually learn all heads this way, go through by ear first then fix the misses with the chart. I played along to the recording for several days before I felt comfortable making a recording.

User Info Menu

I honestly don't remember how I learned it on guitar, but im pretty sure I could sing the whole thing before I tried finding any of the notes on the instrument.

User Info Menu

Not much time this week to do a decent job with the head, no patience for video, so just a few quick choruses of blowing.

I'll check you guys out now ...
    Last edited by John A.; 12-05-2021 at 11:06 PM.

User Info Menu

I went ballad on this. Will try a faster take later in the week—still knocking rust off my fingertips.

User Info Menu

Here's a quick short one, really busy this week.... Checked the head a bit, then went for it. Keeping it short kept me out of trouble

User Info Menu

Mr. B and Masto very impressive metronome only cuts, very brave!! Sounded great

John loved the coherent chromatic you injected. That’s what I love about a song like this.

wzpgsr frigging killing mustache! It was hard for me to hear and pull out the form of the tune at that tempo but very tasty playing regardless.

Ron your cuts are usually my favorite! I’ll admit I don’t like the head played at that octave, I think it needs the beef from that lower octave but that’s just my opinion

Great sounds everyone!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Not much time this week to do a decent job with the head, no patience for video, so just a few quick choruses of blowing.
    Very strong take. Among your best, I think.

User Info Menu

Hey Triple, I must admit I didn't even re-listen to the original version. But proabably should have remembered it was down an octave. I spent the weekend playing in a guitar duo setting, where I was transposing a lot of Christmas and Pop tunes up an octave. I was on auto-pilot!

Well its all good I gave it another go, 8ba!!! Needed to fix it, and besides I was playing a wrong note in the head. Wish I had more time to really work on it.

Last edited by Ronstuff; 12-06-2021 at 09:07 PM.

User Info Menu

All the posts here were good to my ears. I would highlight Mr B's great in-the-pocket feel. Gotta tell that rowdy crowd to keep it down, cat invasions, WTH... hey I'm playing here! wzpgsr, had some really nice stuff going on there and Ron, nice flowing lines, as usual.

User Info Menu

Jeff, cool to see and hear a version from yesteryear! Great groove on the latest one! I like that Godin 5th avenue. I kinda regret selling mine, and I’ve been checking out an ES125 on the local listings…
    John, you always have that forward motion and energy. Very nice.

wzpgsr, I never would have thought of playing a bird blues with that vibe. Totally cool, nice soulful lines.

Triple Jazz, full of great ideas and nice bluesy rhythmic bounce.

Mastodonovan, great call on the tune and I like to hear you play with with just a click. Nice time feel and and cool lines.
    Last edited by Ronstuff; 12-06-2021 at 10:35 PM.