The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    I try to do this so I know if I know it or not.
    I know it but I don't play it very well.
    Solar on 4 instruments
    Maybe you should focus more on the music workshop.
    "Solar" has a lot of 251.
    A long time ago I copied 251 phrases and tried to put them into Solar.
    I transcribed Miles Davies solo...and I played on guitar unison with Miles.
    It helps in building phrases.
    It all helps.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    It all helps.
    Really ? There are 251 in Solar ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    Really ? There are 251 in Solar ?
    I know you know it is.
    I transcirbed great solo of Scofield also.
    You know he play good.

User Info Menu

I think to know the tune means I can play the melody pretty much anywhere just start. Then I have the chords downs so that I really don't have to think too deep they just are right in my head and ears. If I have this then pretty much I can play without too much mechanical thinking. Once this gets really ingrained then it is harder to lose the edge if you don't play the tune all the time.

My problem is I can memorize a tune real well play it daily for a week and get real good with playing. Then I can go and not play it for a long time and I forget the various parts. Generally I have a pretty good memory but I have a poor memory for tunes unless they are a few standards that simply are engrained in the brain. For instance ATTYA is a tune I can hear and navigate through with no issue. I can hear the then changes and just pretty much go. I know the tune so well that I would not forget it even if I don't play it for months on end. However not long ago I was working on I Hear A Rhapsody and I can play it chord melody ok but I forget the changes if I don't keep playing. I should know the tune by now but I just have not played it over and over enough. I don't think I have the gift for that some guys can play tune a few times and they got it forever.

Possibly knowing a tune well has as much to do with how good your ear is rather than any real amount of time spent with playing it. I just hack my way through slow.

User Info Menu

You just have to play all the time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    It all helps.
    This is what I was talking about.

Since you didn't see the thread. I might be arrogant when I do this.
    Sorry.

User Info Menu

Yea... your only as good as you are. But the questions needs to have a reference, knowing 10 tunes well is great for performing at home or with friends etc... I guess it just depend on what type of player you want to be.

If you need to go over tunes and memorize etc... that's what you are. It's really difficult to have lots of tunes memorized without playing every night or day.

Personally I started that way, playing by ear. But made a choice to be able to understand and play tunes by quick analysis... which became more of a play live approach. There is a standard approach for learning this way... start with forms etc...

The other detail.... if you don't have your technical BS together on your instrument... what do you expect. Knowing any tune well etc... won't matter.