The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

(I'm waiting for someone to point out that it was the bad guys who said good luck... and they lost :-))

The obvious answer to this is just play to the chords. The ii-V-I's are simple enough. The problem is they cross bars and move without a break. So I suppose it's easier said than done. There's no real breathing space till the 4-bar BM7 - C#m bit at the end.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Have done some listening to the other submissions. Really nice takes, all. Hard to play this one without an audience I think. You need motivation to try to tell a story, and the iPhone just doesn't do that. A good band also helps you build. So the minimalist takes here, mine included, I imagine were quite challenging.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RunningBeagle
    Have done some listening to the other submissions. Really nice takes, all. Hard to play this one without an audience I think. You need motivation to try to tell a story, and the iPhone just doesn't do that. A good band also helps you build. So the minimalist takes here, mine included, I imagine were quite challenging.
    That's always the challenge with this format. Specifically with this tune, the backing tracks I found on youtube all seem off in terms of feel. Especially the Learn Jazz Standards one - it has this bouncy almost double time feel that I had a lot of trouble with. Others had wrong chords and/or forms. I wound up buying the Aebersold play-along, which opened things up for me.

User Info Menu

Hey, screw this for a game, I'm going out for a long walk :-)

User Info Menu

I really needed to get into the headspace of this tune. I found it’s not a song one can just start playing and expect to have a meaningful improv (or at least someone like me)

User Info Menu

Really fantastic jobs Mastodonovan and Ron!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    I found it’s not a song one can just start playing and expect to have a meaningful improv
    If ever.

I've tried it now countless times. If I was going to get it I would have got it long ago. I don't think it's just because the progression's unfamiliar or because the octave's been divided into m3rds, I just think the whole thing (except for the last 4 bars) doesn't lend itself to good music.

Personally, I like leaning back and playing something meaningful over interesting changes. With this, I get the horrible feeling I'm playing some sort of game to please Saint Coltrane... and I'm not even a member of his church. He might enjoy torturing himself but I don't.

I'm not saying it's impossible, it isn't, but I do think the thought and effort required isn't on a par with the results at the end of it.

But I had a lovely walk

User Info Menu

I do like the melody and the unexpected chord progression. This tune feels better as a constructed piece and not a solo vehicle. I could him the first four bars of this tune al day long.

User Info Menu

I like it too. Technically, it has great potential. But in practice it just screws my brain :-)