The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 108 of 108

User Info Menu

Ofcourse I understad it.You are right.
    I appreciate and really like beautiful melodies- this is the basis for me.
    I mean more about my case.
    I am already at such listening level that I often manage to say the name of the tune after listening to the chord progression / solo plus chords comping/.
    This is due to daily practice and listening to countless recordings.
    It is difficult but very educational.
    All The Best
    Kris

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    I think I have to almost go on a tune by tune basis.

Some things just - NO! Something - Sure, why not?

I don't think I'd embellish some Monk melodies for instance; maybe punctuate, but not change the melody. But I totally would a standard I knew really well.

Jobim tunes, sometimes it feels tasteless to add anything. Depends on the tune.

I think interpretation is appropriate, although not required, in any situation where you're not trying to blend in with a section.

Of course, it has to be musical and should improve the rendition of the tune. With some melodies, that's a high bar. But, if someone can clear it, it's fine with me.

Jobim is, IMO, one of the all time great composer's. I think most people would agree that It's hard to improve on Jobim, but if you listen, say, to Trio Corrente's version of Ipanema, you'll hear a complete revision of the song in structure, time etc that is, IMO, beyond brilliant. I know of another brilliant Ipanema arrangement, but I don't have a recording to share.

And, I'm reminded of Robert Glasper's barely recognizable version of Stella at the Blue Note a couple of years ago.

I'm left with a preference for renditions of oft-played tunes that are anything but uninterpreted.

User Info Menu

In this case, the performer could compose a new theme melody and name the piece differently.
    Solos play processed motifs from Jobim's original theme.
    The effect would be similar.
    Jazz is a very creative art

User Info Menu

"but if you listen, say, to Trio Corrente's version of Ipanema, you'll hear a complete revision of the song in structure, time etc that is, IMO, beyond brilliant. I know of another brilliant Ipanema arrangement, but I don't have a recording to share." rpjazzguitar

Hi, RP,
    Two things: 1.) Corrente's excellent version of Ipanema is a Jazz rendition--not a classic Bossa.
    2.) Corrente stated the theme at the beginning of the piece with a restatement at the end.
    This works for me especially since the level of musicianship is very high as well as its creative elements.
    My first Jazz teacher was Chicago phenom Willie Pickens(piano). Outside of his own excellent trio, Willie also played in Joe Segal's house band at the Jazz Showcase as well as every top studio gig on piano. He played with every great Jazzer imaginable in his generation for over 50 years. In my first class with him, he asked me what I wanted to play and it was the classic ballad "Over the Rainbow." He asked me to play over some changes first and after I finished, he said, I want a 16 bar written improvisation for the next class based on the melody and I want the melody clearly stated in the opening 8 bars. So, over the course of the next few weeks we tore everything apart and the cocky 22 y.o. "Jazzer??" got his first real exposure to serious foundational improvisation. Willie was a kind and patient teacher and he shaped countless Jazzers' during his lifetime. Here's Willie at Chicago's Jazz Showcase with Brian Gephart -sax; Brian Sandstrom --bass; and Chicago's very own--Robert Shy on drums. Check out Willie's melodic based solo at 6:07.
    Play live . . . Marinero

https://youtu.be/SN2XyGXQtcg

User Info Menu

Here's wonderful tribute to Willie after his passing.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

There is another giant-Kenny Barron.He play great solo over Invitation with exelent feel....Maybe I'm wrong but I can't hear the notes from the theme melody ..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    There is another giant-Kenny Barron.He play great solo over Invitation with exelent feel....Maybe I'm wrong but I can't hear the notes from the theme melody ..

Yes, K,
    Purely based on the changes. Here's Roy Hargrove with Willie Pickens on piano where the melody is clearly stated but the improvisations are both implied melodic with a loose interpretation of the changes--but hardly a tired harmonic exercise. Different strokes for different folks. It's a big world out there!
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Great Stuff!