The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

Well well, 45 weeks in. Getting this started a bit early since I have parent/teacher conferences this afternoon/evening.

Ragman has picked "All Blues." Wonder how many of us have heard the form of this one butchered at a jam session ?

I'll kick us off, my first notes of the day...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I guess there's no excuse for not getting this one done quickly ...

I did the whole thing just to prove that I'm not that guy who messes up the form at jams

Anyway, I did a couple of run throughs to warm up and get the sounds right, then just recorded one and called it a night. I'm definitely not going to obsess over getting the perfect take on this one. Just blow and have fun. I may try some other approaches and sounds later in the week.
    Last edited by John A.; 11-18-2021 at 11:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I guess there's no excuse for not getting this one done quickly ...

I did the whole thing just to prove that I'm not that guy who messes up the form at jams

Anyway, I did a couple of run throughs to warm up and get the sounds right, then just recorded one and called it a night. I'm definitely not going to obsess over getting the perfect take on this one. Just blow and have fun. I may try some other approaches and sounds later in the week.
    Fun stuff John, nice laid back take that explores both the blues side of this tune and the "modal" side.

User Info Menu

Damn, that 6/8 keeps me on a tight leash.

I’ll go stand in the corner now.

User Info Menu

The form's probably been butchered/altered so many times that that's just become part and parcel
    of playing the tune, so i make no claims as to the accuracy of my version...
    for good or ill, i just tried to follow the backing track i chose.

And yes, it's played on another one of 'those darn Telecasters", LOL.
    Last edited by dogletnoir; 11-19-2021 at 01:11 PM.

User Info Menu

All Blues, No Views

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peterson
    Damn, that 6/8 keeps me on a tight leash.

I’ll go stand in the corner now.
    Why? That sounded good to me.

User Info Menu

Kind of Blue is number one for a reason and I love it as much today as I did first hearing it 30 years ago. All Blues is just an awesome laid back blues. I’m home today getting my step daughters room together as she comes home for winter break. Taking a much needed break to run through the tune!

User Info Menu

We got some good stuff going here ...

Jeff: that's a fun one. I especially like the way it sort of switches off between choruses of motivic development and choruses of more straight up blues, and then builds to fast stuff at the end. Gives the solo a strong sense of shape and development.

Peterson: I like this one. Lots of good space and phrasing, and that guitar really sounds good.

dogletnoir: Some good ideas (especially the more motivic stuff).

RunningBeagle: Cool, I really like the way you mix the greasy blues licks in with the arps and enclosures, and there's a strong sense of groove.

Rags: I like the bluesiness and use of space.

Triple: The chord soloing and octaves really work well there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dogletnoir;[URL="tel:1159198"
    1159198[/URL]]The form's probably been butchered/altered so many times that that's just become part and parcel
    of playing the tune, so i make no claims as to the accuracy of my version...
    for good or ill, i just tried to follow the backing track i chose.

And yes, it's played on another one of 'those darn Telecasters", LOL.
    Your sustained notes have a nice and creamy sounding tone!

You have a similar attack on phrases as I. The problem is we don’t focus enough on breathing between statements. (Maybe it’s the bass player in us) I feel like I’m getting better, it’s all about listening back and then being hyper conscious of it. Try using more space between the phrases to give clarity and definition to the melodic statements your pushing through.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    Kind of Blue is number one for a reason and I love it as much today as I did first hearing it 30 years ago. All Blues is just an awesome laid back blues. I’m home today getting my step daughters room together as she comes home for winter break. Taking a much needed break to run through the tune!
    Damn. That's some great blues playing. You've got that Benson feel thing down.

User Info Menu

Yes, rip to the form. Good job everyone. Was able to jam one out for once. I was in E today so this is All Bluez in E. I also haven't played in 3 since I got my organ rig but was able to do this ok.

User Info Menu

Hi !

I like this tune, this is my little take.

User Info Menu

All Blues @ 41.45

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    All Blues @ 41.45

Super cool! Thanks @ragman! I just love Pat's playing, may he RIP. The close-ups of his right hand are quite instructive. And clip-on tuner visible at 43:12 :-)

User Info Menu

Ok, this tune was simple enough that I thought I would give it go. Be kind!

User Info Menu

Wow, I needed to be reminded 3/4 is hard and deserves some attention more often

User Info Menu

As threatened, here's another with a different approach and sound. This is the Mr. SunnyBass backing track + a GarageBand drummer track. Mr. SunnnyBass doesn't do any sort of intro or the extra bars of G after the head, so this just jumps straight in. I like that he stays on the G ostinato like the original throughout (most of the other backing tracks go to C in the bass). Forces you to bring out the changes in the solo part the way they do on Kind of Blue (and keep the form in mind). I spent a bit of time getting the backing track sorted out and playing with tones and some some harmony ideas, but otherwise this is a first take.

Last edited by John A.; 11-20-2021 at 06:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Here' a take, makes me want to practice more…
    A fair amount of Blues - YouTube
    Last edited by Ronstuff; 11-20-2021 at 11:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff
    Here' a take, makes me want to practice more…
    A fair amount of Blues - YouTube
    Nice one, Ron. Each chorus felt like it's own little story, giving the whole thing a strong sense of exploration and journey.

User Info Menu

Without further ado a spontaneous first take (before I'd start to thinking about all the possibilities and mess up) - only take as well:

(Goes on a bit long so apologies for that...)
    Last edited by TOMMO; 11-21-2021 at 11:50 AM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

Hi !

I tried again !
    Just one take for each one, I'm sorry for the mistakes...

User Info Menu

Morning noodle, own backing track, lovely tune.

User Info Menu

Here’s a another one. I went for a different approach. Duo with acoustic bass. I played a Gibson SG. We played it in C, and kept the pedal over the IV chord like the original. Tried to play more with chords. We were inspired by the Ed Bickert/ Don Thompson album « Live At The Garden Party » which I find absolutely fantastic!
    Last edited by Ronstuff; 11-23-2021 at 10:37 PM.