The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 103

User Info Menu

Man, time is flying...I didn't even get a chance to try Nostalgia! But its Thursday, and wgpgsr has picked a jam session must know.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 44) - Jordu-1636673991135-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Fun to do but ultimately pointless, I suppose :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1

The search for point and meaning strikes me as a problem of expectations.

User Info Menu

Here's mine. I had to learn this one - for such a simple song I found it really difficult. Esp to keep the form...

Thanks for the suggestion.

User Info Menu

Pointless? Why?

Not sure if I have ever heard this one before but to me it's such an earworm that it already sounds like an old friend after not quite one day. Thanks for calling this one!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    The search for point and meaning strikes me as a problem of expectations.
    Absolutely.

But I meant that playing slowly over the changes, quite tricky over those descending dominants, isn't actually going to help one play Jordu in the right way. Not without forcing the harmonies somewhat. You'd have to be pretty damn good. Which I don't pretend to be.

Yet

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Pointless? Why?

Not sure if I have ever heard this one before but to me it's such an earworm that it already sounds like an old friend after not quite one day. Thanks for calling this one!
    As above to John. I don't mean it's not a catchy number.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RunningBeagle
    for such a simple song I found it really difficult. Esp to keep the form...
    That's just it, it's very simple... till you try to solo it :-)

(I suppose you know the textbook way of doing these doms is to use the major/minor trick - i.e. say with G7/C7, play G7 then Gm7, because the Gm is the ii of C7. Then F7/Fm, Eb7/Ebm, etc. And you just go down the list like that. That's how the book does it (whatever the 'book' is) but in practice it might not be so simple. Sorry if you already know all that. I don't like being an instructor!)

User Info Menu

Absolutely.

But I meant that playing slowly over the changes, quite tricky over those descending dominants, isn't actually going to help one play Jordu in the right way. Not without forcing the harmonies somewhat. You'd have to be pretty damn good. Which I don't pretend to be.

Yet
    Yes, I too hope someday to pretend to be good. Anyway, I'll try to take a crack at Jordu this weekend. I've played it before, but not in ages.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Yes, I too hope someday to pretend to be good.
    :-)

User Info Menu

Didn’t have time to learn the head, here is just my improvisation.

User Info Menu

Here's one I did earlier (in 2012!). This was used for a virtual duet with Dick (Dutchbopper), effectively this is my 'half' of the duet.

User Info Menu

I'll go for that :-)

User Info Menu

The bridge is quite awkward on this tune I think. Trying to create long, flowing lines over those 2-per-bar dominants is not easy.

I like this version by Tal Farlow, of course he does it brilliantly.

User Info Menu

There is my take on nylon strings guitar.
    I've been playing classical guitar a lot lately and I like nylon strings guitars.

Box

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kris
    There is my take on nylon strings guitar.
    I've been playing classical guitar a lot lately and I like nylon strings guitars.

Box
    Very nice Kris. Well done.

DB

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Here's one I did earlier (in 2012!). This was used for a virtual duet with Dick (Dutchbopper), effectively this is my 'half' of the duet.

I remember that. Good going Graham!

DB

User Info Menu

The bridge is quite awkward on this tune I think. Trying to create long, flowing lines over those 2-per-bar dominants is not easy.

I like this version by Tal Farlow, of course he does it brilliantly.
    I think your lines are better than his. Your lines fit the backing, his don't properly all the time. But that's the difficulty with this tune. It's actually you who are doing it brilliantly!

User Info Menu

I think your lines are better than his. Your lines fit the backing, his don't properly all the time. But that's the difficulty with this tune. It's actually you who are doing it brilliantly!
    Thanks, I appreciate the sentiment, but I cannot compare myself to Tal! To be honest I think I had to work out some lines in advance that would fit the bridge, and I only played a couple of choruses.

Tal plays loads of choruses and his lines flow through it all superbly. Sounds like he was really improvising, far more than I was! I don’t think you have to nail every change anyway, if the lines are as musical and logical as his, they will work.

User Info Menu

I think you can compare yourself to Tal on this one. Mind you, I have to be honest, I didn't listen to the whole 15 minutes worth, just a couple of solo choruses to get the drift.

I suppose I ought to now... I'll get some cereal

User Info Menu

Done it. I'm okay. Good bass solo!

Well, I see the point. I think in a version like that it doesn't matter if it's a bit fudgy, it's the vibe that matters. He did do something nice at about 13.05 going down the chords.

But, yes, very swinging :-)

Dutchbopper Guest
    Thanks, I appreciate the sentiment, but I cannot compare myself to Tal! To be honest I think I had to work out some lines in advance that would fit the bridge, and I only played a couple of choruses.

Tal plays loads of choruses and his lines flow through it all superbly. Sounds like he was really improvising, far more than I was! I don’t think you have to nail every change anyway, if the lines are as musical and logical as his, they will work.
    None of us compares to Tal. Not you. Not me. This is a great and classic bop solo. But you need some ears to appreciate it.

DB

Last edited by Dutchbopper; 11-13-2021 at 01:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    Very nice Kris. Well done.

DB

Thanks DB,
    I am very pleased to hear kind words from a great jazz musician.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

DB is absolutely right about Tal Farlow.
    Any comparison of a giant to any of us is ridiculous.
    If in doubt, make a transcription of his solos.

User Info Menu

From the composer: