The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 103

User Info Menu

Maybe it's something like this:
    I know I don't know anything...contra...I don't know anything but I have the most to say.
    Maybe it makes sense.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've been able to figure out what I can do...I'm also pretty confident I can get a beginner to my level in much less time than it took me.

But I'm well aware of what I can't do too...better I get, the further away "good" seems...the goalposts keep moving further away.

Oh well. I never have to bored again, for the rest of my life.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Hey gang, sorry to post an old vid but as I have zero time to record stuff atm and had this lying around seemed an opportunity. Early lockdown vibes.

Will go through and listen to others if I get a chance. Sorry to not be more involved, great people are still playing, well done to Jeff and all to keep it going…
    Smoking!

User Info Menu

Where do people find lead sheets for these tunes? Or does everyone transcribe everything?

User Info Menu

Most of them come up easily on google images. A lot of them are in the Real Book. Beyond that, there are other volumes of the real book and other fake books that you can buy or bootleg.

User Info Menu

Google:

'--- (insert name of tune) --- lead sheet'

and look under Images.

So for Jordu I got this. Then click on the first one and work your way through. Don't necessarily take the first one, be selective (they can appear in various keys). Also check on YouTube for backing tracks, they normally give the right chords in the most popularly used key.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 44) - Jordu-untitled-jpg

User Info Menu

Finally got this one done. I find this to be quite a challenging tune. Not to make the changes (changes are changes), but to play a coherent solo that doesn't parrot the harmonic rhythm of the head and has some flow to it.

And since I acknowledge my limitations and rate my efforts poorly that must mean I'm high-performing and capable. But if I say I'm high-performing and capable, that means I'm actually lousy. OK, I'm lousy, which means I'm good, which means I'm mediocre, which means I'm above average, which means I'm subpar KABOOM!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    I do not ever mean people who are humble and gracious. It’s more a general statement about the forum as a whole. I see it as a classroom filled with kindergarten kids, first graders, high school kids, college students, master students, graduates and Phds. And they all think they are the teacher haha.

Or am I?

DB

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
    Great observation... DB +1,
    It can also be added that it all has a virtual character.
    And most of the participants have little or no experience of playing jazz live.
    Can it be called jazz at all?
    Just kidding...
    Have a nice day
    Kris

User Info Menu

Not one of your best, to be honest, John, but it is pretty difficult. I managed to make it fit by doing it slowly but at speed I couldn't have done it, and I've tried a lot.

The thing with those dominants, going from major to minor as they do, means you can't get simple lines off the cuff that fit easily. So I tried only using notes that left out the 3rd which was hard in itself. I like to just let go and play but this required deliberate positioning and that's not my thing at all.

So then I thought let's just rush at it, no one'll notice, just blast through it, but that didn't work either. Maybe my ear's too sensitive but it didn't work for me.

I looked at various piano transcriptions and those players were doing it very well, good lines that neatly avoided the pitfalls. Same with some sax players. But guitar-wise I don't know.

I the end I more or less gave up because I just couldn't figure it, and I know others must be having the same problem.

So I don't know the answer. And those endless descending dominants become very repetitive too... it's just not an easy piece although listening to the head makes it sound pretty straightforward.

User Info Menu

The only other guitar version I’m familiar with is Barney Kessel:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop

Nice!

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kris
    This is my favorite version:
    The tune is quite easy if you do not navigate all those dominant changes. Clifford does not do that either. CST is not going to help you much here. You need the language.

User Info Menu

The tune is quite easy if you do not navigate all those dominant changes. Clifford does not do that either. CST is not going to help you much here. You need the language.

Great solo of Clifford...Language is the basis.
    Thanks for the link.

User Info Menu

Hey gang, sorry to post an old vid but as I have zero time to record stuff atm and had this lying around seemed an opportunity. Early lockdown vibes.

Will go through and listen to others if I get a chance. Sorry to not be more involved, great people are still playing, well done to Jeff and all to keep it going…
    Very nice take with real jazz feel.
    It is very fun to listen to your duo version.
    I like your jazz phrasing.
    There are no random notes in the musical lines you operate.
    Conscious playing.
    Keep swinging.

User Info Menu

DB is 100% right.
    Without mastering the basics of jazz language, tunes may seem difficult.

Dutchbopper Guest
    DB is 100% right.
    Without mastering the basics of jazz language, tunes may seem difficult.
    Actually everything that makes the language of jazz so beautiful lies OUTSIDE the realm of scales.

DB

User Info Menu

Absolutely.

User Info Menu

Actually everything that makes the language of jazz so beautiful lies OUTSIDE the realm of scales.

DB
    +1
    That's true, that's why I like to transcribe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop

See, there it is, he's basically using Cm and arpeggiating the rest. Lines are hard.

User Info Menu

I think there are a lot of good ideas in RunningBeagle's clip. Would be good to put the best stuff together in a shorter clip, IMO.

Kris, that was some nice phrasing right there. Very musical.

Jeff always such a great swing feel, the rest just flows from that. Great.

I personally don't need no "connoisseur" to tell me what's good music and what ain't, regardless of genre, and it's a good idea to remain humble and not take anything for granted. And always watch out for those bum notes

User Info Menu

IIRC I did listen to Clifford to see what he got up to on this, I have to say I always found round the clock dominant progressions a bit of a hassle.

Is there a reason why they are so much more common in earlier jazz tunes? (I'm thinking Nice Work if You Can Get It. Lulu's Back in Town etc) Maybe this is it. The older players were more melodic/bluesy. Lester Young doesn't play half of the changes... And some of this carried over into the bop era. People now are trained to find them difficult I guess.

As Peter Bernstein puts it - chords aren't your children, it's OK not to spend time with all of them...

BTW I always think of D7 or Ab7 in Cm as the blues chord. Brownie seems to feel the same, learning into those F#'s...
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 11-16-2021 at 08:35 AM.

User Info Menu

Very nice take with real jazz feel.
    It is very fun to listen to your duo version.
    I like your jazz phrasing.
    There are no random notes in the musical lines you operate.
    Conscious playing.
    Keep swinging.
    Thanks Kris!

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    I think there are a lot of good ideas in RunningBeagle's clip. Would be good to put the best stuff together in a shorter clip, IMO.

Kris, that was some nice phrasing right there. Very musical.

Jeff always such a great swing feel, the rest just flows from that. Great.

I personally don't need no "connoisseur" to tell me what's good music and what ain't, regardless of genre, and it's a good idea to remain humble and not take anything for granted. And always watch out for those bum notes
    And yet here you are telling others exactly what is good in their music. You must be a connaisseur yourself!

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Finally got this one done. I find this to be quite a challenging tune. Not to make the changes (changes are changes), but to play a coherent solo that doesn't parrot the harmonic rhythm of the head and has some flow to it.

And since I acknowledge my limitations and rate my efforts poorly that must mean I'm high-performing and capable. But if I say I'm high-performing and capable, that means I'm actually lousy. OK, I'm lousy, which means I'm good, which means I'm mediocre, which means I'm above average, which means I'm subpar KABOOM!
    John, I think your lines are hip. I think you could believe in them a bit more...

User Info Menu

John, I think your lines are hip. I think you could believe in them a bit more...
    Hmmm, compliment ... brain invokes Dunning-Kruger paradox ... danger! infinite regress in ... 10 seconds ... 8 ... 7... I need more time to defuse
    7 ... 6 ... She's gonna blow! Emergency evacuation protocol ... I need more time ....6 ... 5 Get outta there now ... I need more time ... 5 ... 4 ... 3 ...2 ... Sir, Dunning-Kruger has been debunked. It's just regression to the mean. 1 second .... Click. (Cue computerized voice) Cerebral self-destruct deactivated ... You did, it sir!

Oh, thanks Christian. I appreciate that.