The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 103
    Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Thanks DB,
    I am very pleased to hear kind words from a great jazz musician.
    Best
    Kris
    You played it well so my pleasure. I have never heard it with a latin vibe, cool.

DB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Dutchbopper Guest
    DB is absolutely right about Tal Farlow.
    Any comparison of a giant to any of us is ridiculous.
    If in doubt, make a transcription of his solos.
    Indeed. Listen to this. It's from the same album as "Jordu." Personally I rank this as one of the best bebop solos of the 50s:

User Info Menu

Finally had a chance to play and shake off some rust. Now to listen to you all.

User Info Menu

Thanks so much for getting me to play these pieces i've heard so many times but never attempted,
    and thanks to any and all who take the time to listen.
    Last edited by dogletnoir; 11-14-2021 at 08:16 AM.

User Info Menu

Fun tune! Lots of great versions posted already.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    Indeed. Listen to this. It's from the same album as "Jordu." Personally I rank this as one of the best bebop solos of the 50s:

woudnt mind hearing your reasoning as to why this is one of the best bebop solos. just curious
    cheers!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzism
    woudnt mind hearing your reasoning as to why this is one of the best bebop solos. just curious
    cheers!
    This recording of Tal Farlow is from Dec.18, 1956.
    Tal Farlow
    – guitar; Eddie Costa – piano; Vinnie Burke – bass.
    Great Trio with out a drums!
    I have this exelent CD.
    Attachment 86089Attachment 86090
    Last edited by kris; 11-14-2021 at 08:17 AM.

User Info Menu

You sound great.
    Ibanez Scof model?
    Thanks! Yes it’s the Ibanez JSM10.

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzism
    cheers!
    It was recorded in 1956. At that time nobody played like Tal. He brought unheard fast tempos to the guitar with fast execution and unusual intervals, artificial harmonics and a truly unique style. All his mid 50s work is great. But I find the relaxed atmosphere of the home recordings of the “complete private recordings” particularly interesting because it leads to long flows of ideas, chorus after chorus. For, these recordings were never meant to be issued. On that album with already great playing by Tal, I find the solo on “All the things you are” the best one. I could not think of better bebop guitar playing in 1956. There were a few good jazz guitar players yes, but for sheer bebop single line playing virtuosity, Tal ruled in the mid 50s IMHO. It was only later that Wes and Joe come into view.

DB

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Finally had a chance to play and shake off some rust. Now to listen to you all.

Wow!
    Those Danelectro guitars with the lipstick tube pickups really can have a nice jazzy sound in the right hands.
    Masonite FTW!

User Info Menu

Did some listening...

Rag, I know you like to do a few takes so ill say I'd like to hear you with some drums this week...I think you had some good lines in there, but without a swinging backing, this tune gets a little glum sounding...

Beagle, welcome to our group (i don't think I've seen you post before) very nice playing...dig the 000 too.

Graham, its funny, ive heard you play a lot over the years but hadn't heard this one. Sounding great...I think you play even better these days, which is saying something! Your swing is a little more laid back and dirty these days, which maybe isn't better, more of a matter of preference, but this old take is pure bop beauty. Great lines.

Triple, as always I dig the energy and attitude. Lots of good lines, great feel

Kris, very cool to hear a Latin take. You and nylon strings seem to get along very well. I'd listen to a whole record of this.

Dogletnoir, fun to hear another of your "let's see what happens" takes. You can hear you figuring out the tune as you go, your ears are working quicker and quicker. Based on the progress you've made in a short time on the last few tunes, ill be interested to see where you go with this.

Ron, enjoyed your take a bunch. I always dig your playing...great time feel, interesting lines. Of I had one nitpick, I think I like your tone on the Guild or tele better. But that's unimportant.

Let me see if I missed someone.

And oh, ive had the Danelectro for about 20 years. I don't play it too often, but every now and then I get the itch to play it...its a very unique sounding guitar, and so light.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Did some listening...

Rag, I know you like to do a few takes so ill say I'd like to hear you with some drums this week...I think you had some good lines in there, but without a swinging backing, this tune gets a little glum sounding...
    Jeffrey, your wish is my command

User Info Menu

A nice deviation from your usual approach, rags! Sounds fine!

User Info Menu

Work of genius, my friend :-)

User Info Menu

It was recorded in 1956. At that time nobody played like Tal. He brought unheard fast tempos to the guitar with fast execution and unusual intervals, artificial harmonics and a truly unique style. All his mid 50s work is great. But I find the relaxed atmosphere of the home recordings of the “complete private recordings” particularly interesting because it leads to long flows of ideas, chorus after chorus. For, these recordings were never meant to be issued. On that album with already great playing by Tal, I find the solo on “All the things you are” the best one. I could not think of better bebop guitar playing in 1956. There were a few good jazz guitar players yes, but for sheer bebop single line playing virtuosity, Tal ruled in the mid 50s IMHO. It was only later that Wes and Joe come into view.

DB

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
    Great post DB.
    This whole CD has a great atmosphere.
    I bought this CD about 30 years ago.
    Tal is great and I really like the pianist Eddie Costa- he plays very light and very creative.
    Jazzingly
    Kris

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I think your lines are better than his. Your lines fit the backing, his don't properly all the time. But that's the difficulty with this tune. It's actually you who are doing it brilliantly!
    Thanks for letting us know that Tal Farlow's lines on "Jordu" do not fit the backing. I always thought his take on Jordu was brilliant. My bad. Your ears are so much better than mine.

One correction though, Tal is playing with real people, not with a backing. The silly 1950s you know.

I know that in the virtual jam thread you are only allowed to say nice things about the participants. The rules clearly state that. But the jazz greats are an exception? OK. Good to know.

By the way, I just checked out YOUR version of Jordu. Indeed, you sound so much better than Tal. Kudos.

DB

User Info Menu

It's all a matter of personal taste, DB. I preferred listening to grahambop's lines to the Tal Farlow version. Simple as that, really. If you prefer the Tal Farlow version, that's fine. We all have our thing, don't we?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Well done!
    Well, as a joke it wasn't bad. You do realise it was a joke, I suppose? Cm pentatonic over the whole thing? Really :-)

But the stroke of genius was realising it would work...

User Info Menu

Thanks for letting us know that Tal Farlow's lines on "Jordu" do not fit the backing. I always thought his take on Jordu was brilliant. My bad. Your ears are so much better than mine.

One correction though, Tal is playing with real people, not with a backing. The silly 1950s you know.

I know that in the virtual jam thread you are only allowed to say nice things about the participants. The rules clearly state that. But the jazz greats are an exception? OK. Good to know.

By the way, I just checked out YOUR version of Jordu. Indeed, you sound so much better than Tal. Kudos.

DB

Hi DB,
    Great post.
    I always have respect for great guitarists like Tal Farlow.
    There are some great recordings left and we can only learn from him.
    Best
    Kris
    ps.
    I can not write more because I will break the rules of virtual jam.

User Info Menu

It's a shame that wgpgsr, who suggested this tune, hasn't done a version yet. Must be busy or something. Neither has John A so him too, I guess.

But it is tricky, no question of that. If I could do it up to speed, I would, but I'm not sure I can.

User Info Menu

Hi DB,
    Great post.
    I always have respect for great guitarists like Tal Farlow.
    There are some great recordings left and we can only learn from him.
    Best
    Kris
    ps.
    I can not write more because I will break the rules of virtual jam.
    Actually if someone said they liked my playing better than Tal Farlow's playing, I'd want them to dislike my playing so maybe that would mean I played more like Tal! I'd rather play like Tal and not be liked as much than not play like him and be popular.

I just find it impossible to take in everything TF is doing on solos like ATTYA. Total musical sensory overload. But I love it, fried brain cells and all.

User Info Menu

For the record, I am an extremely harsh critic of my own playing and I don’t like listening to it much, other than to hear all the things that are wrong with it and try to improve. In every one of my clips I could probably point out 20 or so things that I do not like at all. But I suppose that is the attitude you need to get better. I’m not saying this to impress or anything, it’s just the way I am and I’m stuck with it!

It can be problematic, some days I do not touch the guitar at all because of it.

Having said that, of course I am pleased if people enjoy listening to my playing. That gives me a good feeling.

And I do think Tal Farlow is a thousand times better than me!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    For the record, I am an extremely harsh critic of my own playing and I don’t like listening to it much, other than to hear all the things that are wrong with it and try to improve. In every one of my clips I could probably point out 20 or so things that I do not like at all. But I suppose that is the attitude you need to get better. I’m not saying this to impress or anything, it’s just the way I am and I’m stuck with it!

It can be problematic, some days I do not touch the guitar at all because of it.

Having said that, of course I am pleased if people enjoy listening to my playing. That gives me a good feeling.

And I do think Tal Farlow is a thousand times better than me!
    I have a similar mindset.
    Once, after a concert, someone came up to me and said...:
    "You play similar to Scofield but you use your own musical language."
    I liked that comment.There was nothing about who is better or worse.
    But you know for me John Scofield is No. 1.I've been a fan of his guitar playing for years.

User Info Menu

I have a similar mindset.
    Once, after a concert, someone came up to me and said...:
    "You play similar to Scofield but you use your own musical language."
    I liked that comment.There was nothing about who is better or worse.
    But you know for me John Scofield is No. 1.I've been a fan of his guitar playing for years.
    I think that's my favorite kind of compliment.

We really can't be ourselves until we accept our influences. When someone hears the above in us, it means we're succeeding!

User Info Menu

Hey gang, sorry to post an old vid but as I have zero time to record stuff atm and had this lying around seemed an opportunity. Early lockdown vibes.

Will go through and listen to others if I get a chance. Sorry to not be more involved, great people are still playing, well done to Jeff and all to keep it going…