The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Hi there,

I'm quite new to jazz guitar, and I've been learning it on my own so far. I have been improvising on solar, but I'd like to get some feedback for things I could work on:

Here is my solo on it:

Here is my comping on it: Stream Solar Comp by cuppajoeman | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

Thank you for looking at it!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cuppajoe
    Hi there,

I'm quite new to jazz guitar, and I've been learning it on my own so far. I have been improvising on solar, but I'd like to get some feedback for things I could work on:

Here is my solo on it:

Here is my comping on it: Stream Solar Comp by cuppajoeman | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

User Info Menu

Hi, cuppajoe.

What I can say from listening to your playing is you need to work on your phrasing.

If you have mastered your chord tones/non-chord tones, arpeggios, modes, etc. you might want to look at the lesson I created for improvisation that can help that. Click the link in the video's description box if you want to know more.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum.

You're hitting the notes in the chords. Where you can improve is by understanding that melody is not only notes. It's a mix of notes and rhythm.

When you're practicing, take the first 4 bars and play something that is:

1. Satisfactory rhythmically, and
    2. Satisfactory harmonically.

You have to hit the right notes, but it also has to be interesting rhythmically.

If 4 bars is too much, then start with only the first 2 bars.

Make up a phrase by choosing a rhythm that is satisfactory and engaging and then putting the correct notes to it.

Now that you have a handle on how to make a proper phrase, continue through the rest of the form building with this approach.

User Info Menu

I agree with what's been described above. Would also say you should prioritize playing in time and with purpose above all else. If you need to play less to accomplish that, you should. I'd much rather hear someone just play a couple notes with good time than sheets of sound with no discernable rhythmic or melodic purpose, no matter how good those notes are or how virtuosic they are played.

I made a video this AM to help with this, starting with understanding the melody/harmony, then some exercises/ideas for soloing musically. Kind of an experiment for me with a long(er) form explanation. Have timestamps in the description to help navigate:

User Info Menu

If you're new to jazz, it is a pretty good start

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone. I'm trying to follow Clint 55's advice, it makes sense
    because it lets me focus on the two parts of improvisation in isolation.

Running Beagle, your video is so helpful! I'm still just working through your
    discussion about the melody so far, but I'm definitely starting to see the
    connection between the melody and the harmony as you're saying. I'll leave any
    questions I get in your video's comment section.

EJGuitar, I really enjoyed listening to your improvisation in your youtube video, I wasn't sure how to get to the lesson
    you mentioned, but I'll just try understanding your explanation in the videos
    description for now.

User Info Menu

That's a nice lesson RunB.

I also dig the old school nome. Playing it on the 2 and 4 gives a great visual demonstration of swing. Mesmerizing! Might have to own one of those again one day and ditch the battery operated gizmo I've been using for decades.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Very nice.

If I were to nitpick it a little bit, I'd say that you need a little more snap, crackle and pop to your time feel.

Back in the day, the advice might be to listen to a great swing artist. Maybe that kind of finger-snapping, head-bobbing thing that Sinatra did in the 50s. Or Basie.

Lock it in like an aggressive bass player trying to push a swing band by playing quarter notes (walking).

I know that may sound a little too much like fluff, as advice goes, but locking in great time feel is the single most important thing you can master.

User Info Menu

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone. I'm trying to follow Clint 55's advice, it makes sense
    because it lets me focus on the two parts of improvisation in isolation.

Running Beagle, your video is so helpful! I'm still just working through your
    discussion about the melody so far, but I'm definitely starting to see the
    connection between the melody and the harmony as you're saying. I'll leave any
    questions I get in your video's comment section.

EJGuitar, I really enjoyed listening to your improvisation in your youtube video, I wasn't sure how to get to the lesson
    you mentioned, but I'll just try understanding your explanation in the videos
    description for now.

Thanks for listening and yes, more than happy to keep talking about this or other tunes!

User Info Menu

Hi there,

Here is my solo on it:

I enjoyed it. Nice tone. I am not new to jazz guitar and you are already better than me.

User Info Menu

Im also a beginner. I find it helpful to freely improvise melodies. Also, practicing hearing/anticipating harmonic movement helps. Here’s an example of what I mean: Login • Instagram
    Last edited by Peterson; 11-15-2021 at 10:06 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peterson
    Im also a beginner. I find it helpful to freely improvise melodies. Also, practicing hearing/anticipating harmonic movement helps. Here’s an example of what I mean: Login • Instagram
    Nice exercise of going from the 7th and the 3rd. Did you make up those connecting phrases that you took through the cycle of fifths?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by charlieparker
    Nice exercise of going from the 7th and the 3rd. Did you make up those connecting phrases that you took through the cycle of fifths?
    Glad you like it They’re typical bebop phrases found in lots of solos, I just put them together. I like it as a warm up. Also half bar and two bar variations

User Info Menu

So I recorded another one of me on a jazz blues. This time I limited myself to focus on triads and I also tried to leave some more space, am I moving in the right direction?

The changes on this one are

C7 F7 C7 C7alt
    F7 F7dim C7 A7alt
    Dm7 G7alt C7 G7alt

User Info Menu

Hi joe, and welcome
    I thought this could be helpful:
    I actually composed solos for several songs. It happened naturally, while I was working out the groove (mentioned above), I heard lines in my head ....... so I figured them out and had a pre-fab solo for each of these tunes.....
    I believe it helped me put the mechanics and groove together. ...as much as I have

-best,
    Mike