Posts 1 to 25 of 35

User Info Menu

Ronstuff's pick...a twisted blues

JGBE Virtual Jam  (Round 43) - Nostalgia in Times Square-1636031445406-jpg

Fun stuff.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Been waiting on some Mingus!
    Last edited by wzpgsr; 11-04-2021 at 10:28 PM.

User Info Menu

We were overdue for some Mingus! Here’s a take to get things going. I hope to get around to doing another one this week. Great Mingus picture above!

Nostalgic Everywhere - YouTube

User Info Menu

Some good stuff in their, Ron. Impressive.

User Info Menu

For inspiration, my favourite recording:

User Info Menu

And a big band score:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Some good stuff in their, Ron. Impressive.
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

I'm handicapped, having sliced my playing thumb!

JGBE Virtual Jam  (Round 43) - Nostalgia in Times Square-20211105_171743xx-jpg

Luckily there's no real pain but, because of the plaster, the single notes were extremely weak and fuzzy. Therefore had to be amplified which gives hiss. Also the technique, or whatever it's called when I do it, is hampered. So we get this. I'm truly sorry :-)

User Info Menu

Cool tune! Easy to pick up and fun to play. I did a whole bunch of takes just for the heck of it. I didn't listen back to any, and just picked the last one because I felt like I was done. BTW, there's a cool backing track with a live trio on youtube, but it's pretty short, just one solo chorus. I copied and pasted in the solo chorus a couple of extra times to stretch it out and make it a little more fun. If anyone wants it, PM me and I can shoot you a copy or put it up on my soundcloud page for downloading.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I'm handicapped, having sliced my playing thumb!

JGBE Virtual Jam  (Round 43) - Nostalgia in Times Square-20211105_171743xx-jpg

Luckily there's no real pain but, because of the plaster, the single notes were extremely weak and fuzzy. Therefore had to be amplified which gives hiss. Also the technique, or whatever it's called when I do it, is hampered. So we get this. I'm truly sorry :-)

Can't help thinking of a mash-up of the Charge of the Light Brigade and the Black Knight sketch from Monty Python and the Holy Grail while listening to that. A noble effort. Fetchez la vache!

User Info Menu

Found a minute today!

User Info Menu

My version on classical guitar.
    Hope You like it...
    Box

User Info Menu

This one's 'out of the box', but i'm posting it anyhow:

at least i kept it short...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dogletnoir
    This one's 'out of the box', but i'm posting it anyhow:

at least i kept it short...
    very atmospheric. did you program the backing?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    A noble effort.
    Well, it went on for a long time. Is that the same thing?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzism
    very atmospheric. did you program the backing?
    'Deed i did!
    One track of drums (programmed off of the dubstep loop in Logic), plus a track each of bass, chords, and single note guitar, all played by me.
    Thanks for giving it a listen!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.;[URL="tel:1156410"
    1156410[/URL]]Cool tune! Easy to pick up and fun to play. I did a whole bunch of takes just for the heck of it. I didn't listen back to any, and just picked the last one because I felt like I was done. BTW, there's a cool backing track with a live trio on youtube, but it's pretty short, just one solo chorus. I copied and pasted in the solo chorus a couple of extra times to stretch it out and make it a little more fun. If anyone wants it, PM me and I can shoot you a copy or put it up on my soundcloud page for downloading.

Killin’ way to play this tune! I love the overdrive on this one. Not like the other one that I think I referred to as Van Halen-esque

User Info Menu

Had some fun over the NITS changes :-)

User Info Menu

Ron: very cool R&B flavor there. I really like the double stop licks. Extra credit for the SG! [For the first 8 or 9 years I played, an SG was my only electric guitar, and I sometimes catch myself on Reverb looking for another.]

Rags: The first one, I could definitely sense the handicap of the injury (even 'tis just a flesh wound). Second sounded like you were back to your old self.

Triple: Cool harmonized part on the head, and some good phrasing and ideas throughout. Yeah, for me no Van Halen (or Krantz) here. Stealing more from Dave Stryker this time around.

Kris: Very cool. I really like the arrangement. Great stuff in the solo section with motifs, inside/outside, different interval patterns, and shifting between chords and single lines.

Doglet: I generally like this sort of thing, but I think it would work better with just one guitar part. Either one of those sounds would be fun to hear developed, but I thought both was too much. Re: the right channel part, that much delay can be cool, either as something that comes in and out, or when you can get the delay more in sync with the original signal to create a harmony/sound-on-sound effect, or as an almost pure-noise effect, but to get those sorts of effects, it usually needs more in the way of explicit planning and arranging. I think it's worth another try, but a little more sorted out.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Second sounded like you were back to your old self.
    Plaster's still on but it can take a bit more pressure now. Getting there.

User Info Menu

Jazzism -

Impressive stuff, all the right wrong notes. Hard to do well, easy to do badly. I put it down to the jeans, myself

User Info Menu

Haha, well it is getting a little cooler here now. Although, i wish it was that easy that one of the secrets to better playing was to ensure that you are always wearing pants at all times LOL.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by Jazzism; 11-08-2021 at 10:01 AM.

User Info Menu

@Jazzism

My approach to improv is to try to play what I hear inside and most of the time what I hear is quite vanilla (and often boring). I find it very difficult to play outside since I don’t anticipate the notes nearly as accurately. Do you hear all that in your head? If so, how did you practice that?

User Info Menu

I think playing only outside can get boring as well.
    The player has to learn to play inside reasonably well and then try to move away from it.
    Then playing outside makes sense and creates great tension in improvisation.
    Best
    Kris