The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Has anyone studied from Martin Taylor's books (published Fundamental Changes)? In particular, "Single Note Soloing for Jazz Guitar". I like his approach to improvisation (with a minimum of theory, based mainly on chord tone soloing and melodic variations). It is strange that on this forum I did not find information about his books. If someone is studying them, it would be interesting to know your opinions about them.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I’ve used his single line and walking bass books.
    I’ll just talk about single line.
    I really like his idea of improvisation just being variation of the melody. Honestly I wish I would spend more time with this. His examples are so simple and great but I found it really hard to really translate. That being said I love his approach to chord tones and especially seeing 10ths on the board

User Info Menu

I have his tribute to Art Tatum transcriptions book.

User Info Menu

I would also be interested to hear other people's experience and thoughts of those books.
    @Edl , could you please elaborate a bit on what aspects of the material are hard to translate, nd in which way?

User Info Menu

I've played some of Martin's arrangements for years. I recently purchased his Christmas book. It's a wonderful window into how he arranges songs as these are tunes we've all heard since we were young. I highly reccommend it.