The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 90 of 90

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I think it was simply that we all know the tune by now and it gets boring churning it out every time.
    You are right there. Since it's supposed to be a "jam" where one contributes a couple of choruses of improvisation the head/melody isn't required.
    Your third entry just reminded me of recordings of tunes where the improvisation seems to go to some place that (to me) seems to be so far removed from the tune/song that it actually could be some other tune which can result in great music - don't get me wrong but I keep getting lost there quite often. Again: this is not about the way you interpret a certain tune - just some general thought that popped up in my mind.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Your third entry just reminded me of recordings of tunes where the improvisation seems to go to some place that (to me) seems to be so far removed from the tune/song that it actually could be some other tune which can result in great music - don't get me wrong but I keep getting lost there quite often. Again: this is not about the way you interpret a certain tune - just some general thought that popped up in my mind.
    Understood, you don't think the solo matches the melody and/or spirit of the tune. That's fair enough. Mind you, it's slow, balladic, and it keeps to that ballad feel, at least that was the idea. And whereas a solo isn't supposed to imitate the melody - quite the contrary - you feel it goes too far in the other direction.

Ok... I won't do it all again but I've plucked the head from the end and put it onto the front so it segues fluidly into the solo. Personally, I think it fits okay, definitely. And I'd honestly say if I thought it didn't. (It's very short, just a demo).

The other thing is, as I said, all the versions are different. The first one was straight, the second one had a lot of altered dominants, and this slow one has a lot of minor variations. At some point, unless one merely repeats the straight harmonies, it is going to sound a bit estranged from the melody. But I'd call that interesting, creative, unusual, and words like that.

(Others might prefer words like dull, boring, dreary, samey... what do I know?!)

Maybe it's all a matter of personal preference, I don't know. At least it's not what is politely called free jazz :-)

User Info Menu

Here's another take:

This time, i was thinking about the 'jam' aspect, so i tried to play a little bit as if i was two guitarists... yes, there's even more of me to love this time around, LOL.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peterson
    Thank you very much Jeff!

I would love to know how you approach tunes like this. You have a bluesy vibe in many of your takes, present but not overpowering. Do you have time to share?
    Thanks, I'm not sure how helpful this will be, but here goes...so when I first learn a tune I chase every change for a little bit, so I know the ins and outs and where I can go. Then basically I want to never do that again, so I simplify bop tunes to I's and V's, wherever I can. The blues licks just kind of come naturally to me, that's always been my thing...there's a lot of blues in bop to my ears, so I feel like it always works, even if maybe it's a device I overuse

So this tune I might be thinking...

Eb | Eb | Ab7 | Ab7
    F- | F- | Db7 | Db7 |
    G- | F#- | F- | Bb7 |
    G- | F#- | F- | Bb7 |
    Eb | Eb | Ab7 | Ab7
    F- | F- | Db7 | Db7 |
    G- | F#- | F- | Bb7 |
    G- F#- | Bb7 |Eb | Eb |

On that last line, because the chords move so quick, I might use some "go to" turnaround licks...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Better late than never! Trying with varying degrees of success to incorporate some of the stuff I've been practicing into this week's take—tritone stuff, some stolen from Donna Lee. Never got around to recording that one, but the head is now a part of my practice routine. At this tempo had trouble keeping it orderly under the fingers—kind of an odd tempo for this tune. My 8th note lines feel sloppy, but when I slow down it seems to drag. I think I'd rather play less stuff over a faster tempo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Better late than never! Trying with varying degrees of success to incorporate some of the stuff I've been practicing into this week's take—tritone stuff, some stolen from Donna Lee. Never got around to recording that one, but the head is now a part of my practice routine. At this tempo had trouble keeping it orderly under the fingers—kind of an odd tempo for this tune. My 8th note lines feel sloppy, but when I slow down it seems to drag. I think I'd rather play less stuff over a faster tempo.

I like this one a lot. Tons of interesting ideas and a sense of exploration. Less stuff over faster tempos is definitely a good option. There you are up on the stand and a sax player calls Cherokee at 300 BPM. Whole notes are your friend.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I like this one a lot. Tons of interesting ideas and a sense of exploration. Less stuff over faster tempos is definitely a good option. There you are up on the stand and a sax player calls Cherokee at 300 BPM. Whole notes are your friend.
    Yeah, this backing track was at 132 I believe. I think I might have had an easier time at 110 or 160.

User Info Menu

Yeah, this backing track was at 132 I believe. I think I might have had an easier time at 110 or 160.
    Ah yes... the devil in the midtempo tune...you play 8ths and it's tough to make them not sound "laconic." But try to double time and WHOA NELLY.

User Info Menu

Listened to it this morning but the site was on the fritz for me: no like button or reply worked so I'm a bit late here: Liked that a lot!

User Info Menu

Just time for a last blast. Just a noodle round the changes. This one's for John who's always partial to a nice foxtrot

User Info Menu

Hello. Here's another take of "Four". Seems that some of you liked my first take, but this is even better IMO. You may have noticed that I had more or less hasty phrases in my first take of "Four" represented in this thread, and a lot of times my timing was off. I don't like that much to play over backing tracks since they ruin my timing. I prefer to play with or without a metronome. The second take below has more simple improvisational ideas when soloing, and it has a better groove in it. In the first take I overplayed, more or less the same thing, 8th note lines all the time. Being able to play 8th note lines constantly does not necessarily mean a better solo. Playing less and more simple stuff while soloing often sounds better. Take my playing example as a learning example, since I am trying to get rid of my overplaying as well. Recording yourself and transcribing are the best ways to learn jazz. Enjoy .

User Info Menu

Very late submission as i manage my recovery.
    One thing i did which may be of some interest was taking the first 3 quavers of the melody and using them as a rhythmic motive during the first chorus of the solo.
    cheers!

User Info Menu

Coming in late here, but I just can't do these tunes in a week. Too much, too quick, too much other stuff going on. This is rough, only about 3 ideas in the improvisation, but I enjoyed engaging the tune. A good one to work on, a break from AABA standards and such.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Coming in late here, but I just can't do these tunes in a week. Too much, too quick, too much other stuff going on. This is rough, only about 3 ideas in the improvisation, but I enjoyed engaging the tune. A good one to work on, a break from AABA standards and such.

Even a late entry deserves some feedback or at least a reply. If you allow me to comment : to me you sound a bit rushed here as if your subconscious mind is afraid to miss the next chord change (something that happens to me as well from time to time). Other than that: nice melodic playing, lawson!