The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 90

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Iris has gone, we've moved on. I don't do challenges anyway.

I'm still waiting for an explanation for this gem, not that I believed a word of it. Maybe it was a fantasy.

Attachment 85545
    Fantasy?
    I wish it was a fantasy.
    I have recordings in the evening or late at night.
    The hours are changed.
    I am totaly out.
    I don't think you've ever been to a recording studio .
    Thanks for showing interest.
    Tomorrow and the day after tomorrow I am gone.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Fantasy?
    I wish it was a fantasy.
    I have recordings in the evening or late at night.
    The hours are changed.
    I am totaly out.
    I don't think you've ever been to a recording studio .
    Thanks for showing interest.
    Tomorrow and the day after tomorrow I am gone.
    Many of us will miss you. I appreciate your respect for "traditional" jazz guitar and your affirmation of modern styles as well. I also respect knowledge and capability, and you have both.
    Don't stay away too long!

User Info Menu

JGBE Virtual Jam  (Round 41) - Four-db025d5c-9c2c-46fb-bc74-6060505a78fb-jpeg

User Info Menu

I've been playing this tune since the late 70's when I bought Jamey Aebersold (Vol. 7) Miles Davis
    and practiced 6 hours a day.
    I will not post my take this time because it would be unfair to those who have never played it.
    Have a fun

ps.
    I'm waiting for challenges ala 'Iris'...+1 Rag.

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Iris has gone, we've moved on. I don't do challenges anyway.

I'm still waiting for an explanation for this gem, not that I believed a word of it. Maybe it was a fantasy.

Attachment 85545

If you guys are going to go at it again, either get a room, or do it in spandex on Youtube, but please don't do it here.

User Info Menu

I will not post my take this time because it would be unfair to those who have never played it.
    Lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    If you guys are going to go at it again, either get a room, or do it in spandex on Youtube
    Time for a poll?

User Info Menu

Hello everyone, I have been away for a while. Yes I have been really busy, but also the vibe here has been a little...hum...well you know. Got my old Ibanez AM-75 out for the occasion. I rarely use it, but my wife thinks it's my best sounding and looking guitar...

User Info Menu

If you guys are going to go at it again, either get a room, or do it in spandex on Youtube, but please don't do it here.
    Spandex for me, John. Anything but a room :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff
    Hello everyone, I have been away for a while. Yes I have been really busy, but also the vibe here has been a little...hum...well you know. Got my old Ibanez AM-75 out for the occasion. I rarely use it, but my wife thinks it's my best sounding and looking guitar...

Sounds great—welcome back. Aside: I like the look of a black guitar with off-white binding.

User Info Menu

Looking for opinions or advice on the general sound how it comes off to a different listener. I know I can improve on the solo. It's tough cuz I'm trying to get better at doing the whole thing at once with foot bass. It's just me and the drum track.

User Info Menu

2nd the good job, Ron. Lines sound nice and nimble.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55
    Looking for opinions or advice on the general sound how it comes off to a different listener. I know I can improve on the solo. It's tough cuz I'm trying to get better at doing the whole thing at once with foot bass. It's just me and the drum track.

Overall sounds really good. At certain points you are swinging really hard—I couldn't hear any drums at all, but I was bopping my head through the whole thing, so in my opinion, your swing feel is one of your strengths. Oddly, perhaps, time is also where it sounded like there's room for improvement—this is just nitpicking on my part because you asked for advice—when you're swinging, it sounds great, but perhaps you need to work a bit at making it more consistent. I'd say 80% of the time you were really solid and grooving, with just a few noticeable time slip-ups here and there. Nice work—the tone is fantastic, too, by the way.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the compliments. This is my new beastly rig that I got in March and I like it. About the criticism, that's what I make of it as well. I generally want to improve my right hand lines, but that can come with time. Room for improvement now would be to get all the rhythms solid without hiccups. I'll practice solo and think it sounds ok, then think I should really be practicing in time to a drum track. So I put on the drum track and I think hey, I'm groovin pretty well. But then when it comes time to get in the mix and put on the headphones to record, I'm like oh dear God lol. Something about being in the mix just reveals everything about the shoddy rhythms. Maybe I should practice recording more often to make sure the time is where it should be. Thx for the feedback.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Sounds great—welcome back.
    Yes to both. Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55

Fine playing there Clint. What I am missing is a bit of sound dynamics: I just love the sound when the organist "digs in" and you can hear the tubes crying for mercy...

Funny trivia: for a while I took your avatar to be a double neck steel guitar.....LOL!

User Info Menu

Hahaha! You thought it was a guitar lol!

Also a good suggestion, thx. I usually go hog wild with the expression pedal when I'm practicing. It's a little more work to set all the levels right while recording and get the quiet to not be too quiet and get the ramped up parts to not clip, but if that's what the listeners want, then that's what I'll work on!

User Info Menu

Obviously this one is not as easy as I thought it would be - at least not for me. The fact that there are different versions of the chord progression around and the changes of the backing tracks on YT do differ as well is throwing me a couple of curve balls so apologies that I haven't posted anything yet.

User Info Menu

Giving it another go:

Getting loose 'n dirty on a beat-up strat.
    Last edited by dogletnoir; 10-24-2021 at 06:04 PM.

User Info Menu

All right then, I've played this a lot for a long time (maybe not since the late '70s, but it feels like it's been that long). Don't tell me you're all holding back your versions in anticipation of my shame-inducing greatness ... but just because I've been playing it for decades doesn't mean I've been playing it well

Now, off to listen to you guys ...

PS: smileys, all in good fun, humor, etc. The producers of this motion picture certify that no egos were bruised in the formulation of this smart-assed post.

User Info Menu

Nice Ronstuff and kudos to John A both for playing and general attitude. Intelligent dude, I would say.

User Info Menu

All right then, I've played this a lot for a long time (maybe not since the late '70s, but it feels like it's been that long). Don't tell me you're all holding back your versions in anticipation of my shame-inducing greatness ... but just because I've been playing it for decades doesn't mean I've been playing it well

PS: smileys, all in good fun, humor, etc. The producers of this motion picture certify that no egos were bruised in the formulation of this smart-assed post.
    Great take. Looked like you were having a lot of fun with it. Lots of nice bebop lines at what is to me an impressive tempo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dogletnoir
    Giving it another go:

Doesn't sound like a Strat at all.

Fine renditions both of you!
    Last edited by TOMMO; 10-25-2021 at 12:10 PM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dogletnoir
    Giving it another go:

The strat sounds wonderful! If that comes from it being "beat up" I'd say keep beating it up. The solo has really nice phrases over the changes. I'm not the best person to offer this particular critique since I'm struggling myself, but I didn't sense a "shape" for the solo, the since of it moving via rising tensions and resolutions to a climax. This is the very thing I have trouble doing as well, but unlike me, you actually have the vocabulary and phrases to put together a coherent and exciting statement.

User Info Menu

That was really fun to listen to. Nailed it. The way I want to play when I grow up.

User Info Menu

Here’s a long take with few ideas. I’d stop listen after a chorus or two if I were you.