The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 110 of 110

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    It's a very easy tune to play the "right" notes on and have them sound completely "not right."
    Exactly.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Amazing :-)

Hope the eye's okay
    Thx Rags. Its probably the only good thing to come out of this whole goddamn shitty mess with the pandemic, is that we can still play. I dont know what id do if that was taken away, Im finding it particularly therapeutic during these troubled times.
    Cheers!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzism
    Tbh, I didnt think i would get around to submitting anything this round as I had to have a rather unexpected eye surgery this week. Quite a pisser. Anyway its very therapeutic and I had to stay at home anyway.

Great stuff, which has become your usual around here. Very glad to have you join us.

You're also making me kind of want a headless guitar

User Info Menu

Then you can play like a headless guitarist :-)

Sorry!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Great stuff, which has become your usual around here. Very glad to have you join us.

You're also making me kind of want a headless guitar
    Cheers Jeff,
    Oddly enough i never owned one until after 9/11 when airlines became more restrictive about carry on instruments, The Steinberger fits in the overhead bin so there is very little arguing thank god. Then I got used to how ergonomic it is. it doesnt feel like you have one arm longer than the other from the drag of the headstock and lastly, in HK its so crowded getting around on public transport, minimising the case profile saves you from hitting people far less frequently.
    I actually do have some instruments with headstocks but they are in storage in Australia. Hopefully when i finally get back there i can bust them out for more sonic mayhem on the JGBE virtual Jam LOL.

User Info Menu

Then you can play like a headless guitarist :-)

Sorry!
    I often play like a brainless one already

User Info Menu

Never, Jeffrey, never.

User Info Menu

Same approach, but feels a bit (just a bit) more coherent. I've found some interesting relationships between chords and scales, but sadly not much of that has made it into my takes on this tune. Anyways, probably the last from me on this one:

User Info Menu

wzpgsr -

Can I ask you something? How do you approach this sort of thing? Where do you get your notes from?

I quite liked it, by the way, nice 'n moody :-)

User Info Menu

wzpgsr -

Can I ask you something? How do you approach this sort of thing? Where do you get your notes from?

I quite liked it, by the way, nice 'n moody :-)
    Thanks for the kind words. I don't know what to make of this song—I sort of hate it and love it at the same time—so I am mainly relying on mood and feel, I guess. My approach was roughly 75% pulling notes out of my own ass with my ears and 25% trying to apply some sort of half-baked CST approach in real-time, because I haven't played it enough yet to "pre-hear" anything that makes sense. One thing that made it into this take was some mM7 / tritone sub sounds I have been generally practicing over ii-Vs—there are some glimpses of that over the C-7 / Db7#11 bits in here, I think. It didn't really dawn on me till rather later in the week that that AbM7#5 comes from F melodic minor, that F minor can be played over the GbM7#11 as well. I think it's less complicated than it sounds, honestly, but need more time. Shoot. I would definitely work on internalizing the melody as a way of navigating the changes if I were to continue with this tune.

Not sure if this was posted earlier in the thread, but this guy has some surely helpful ideas: