The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 110

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Sorry about the grammar diversion, Jeff, but a day without poking Rags in the eye about something irrelevant is like a day without sunshine, or a fish without a bicycle, or something.
    Some days, my eyes ache for you.

(I saw 'you and I' and I thought Oh! And I thought if he'd put 'you and me' he'd have got an internal rhyme there as well. But then... it must have been late at night or something, I don't know. And there was Iris, of course, not a lady to mess with, I can tell you)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Lol, I tried intentionally not to rhyme...

And I'm just kidding, I wasn't going for high art nor was I offended by the grammatical critique.

I've cleared some space for listening, finally, I can't wait to discuss this tune further, as I think it is absolutely brilliant.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Lol, I tried intentionally not to rhyme...

And I'm just kidding, I wasn't going for high art nor was I offended by the grammatical critique.

I've cleared some space for listening, finally, I can't wait to discuss this tune further, as I think it is absolutely brilliant.
    Ah, so you're a poet and don't even ... realize it.

User Info Menu

Graham, that was really nice...loved the tone, and you brought out all of the important chord change colors and resolutions that I hear. Actually, you made me hear that Dbmb6 a lot clearer now. Great stuff.

User Info Menu

Thanks rags and Jeff. I must admit I can see the point of the CST thing when it comes to this kind of tune. I can usually spin lines all over the place when it comes to standard progressions, they seem fairly natural now. But not so easy for me on this kind of tune.

Essentially what I did to prepare for this tune was identify the ‘pool of notes’ for the tricky chords, then keep running over them and creating ideas with them until I had them ‘under my fingers’ as it were.

Actually I can also hear a lot of the basic outlines of the melody in my solo, oddly enough I was not conscious of that while playing.

It’s good to try tunes like this, quite a challenge but also strangely liberating in some ways! I enjoyed doing this.

User Info Menu

I'd like to say I enjoyed it but... I have suffered for this tune!

I tried it once years ago but I really hadn't done it till last Friday. It was the melody that drew me, of course, it's impressive. It took about a minute or so to work out the necessary notes and all that and then it started. My brain must be wired to sensible progressions because every time I tried to play something it decided to go in the opposite direction, seriously. Finger slips, wrong chords... total nightmare.

But it must be like childbirth, hurts like hell and then you want another one :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Oh, I have no doubt!

What about your poor old 90 year-old man?
    Thanks Rag for asking about the 90-year-old man. Nice to me.
    I give you my version of 'Iris' as a gift.
    It is not a difficult tune as I thought at first.
    Best
    Kris

Box

User Info Menu

Thank you. I liked it, thank god :-)

And good luck with your recording.

User Info Menu

Beautiful playing Kris...wonderful articulation on the nylon string too...I think a nylon can be a great choice for a modern jazz sound.

I'm thinking of the last 4 bars now as very Lydian...if you treat the Db7 sounds as Ab minor, and the Dbmb6 as A major, well that's classic Lydian territory...

User Info Menu

Ah, so you're a poet and don't even ... realize it.
    Is there where we start doing quotes from The Princess Bride?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Is there where we start doing quotes from The Princess Bride?
    That would be inconceivable.

User Info Menu

That would be inconceivable.
    You keep using that word...

User Info Menu

As long as there's no kissing.

User Info Menu

Fast and furious

User Info Menu

As you wish.

User Info Menu

As you wish.
    I know, it's difficult, but that's life, I guess

User Info Menu

Here we go. This is a tricky one, but I enjoyed it.

Now on to listening to you folks.

John, I missed yours (lots of discussion this week, not a bad thing)

Nice slippery bluesy take...always enjoy your playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Thank you for finding the next recording.
    Maxime Fougeres -an excellent guitarist and a great jazz personality.
    Very fast 4/4 - I like it-New 'Iris".
    Great Trio.
    Ah. To be honest, I just posted it because I found it. But weren't you going off to do recording?

User Info Menu

As you wiiiiiishhhh

User Info Menu

I'm not even going to pretend to know what I was going for with this.

User Info Menu

Well, being Thursday, it's time for the last blast. I'm aware that, in comparison with the professional versions and the versions of the excellent players here, it lacks something :-)

However, I never compare them. To me, it would be like comparing Rembrandt with Picasso or one of the other modernist painters. There's no comparison at all, in my view.

Thing is, I simply don't hear tunes like this in a Rembrandt way. If I did, I'd play them like that. I play as I hear, hence the way they turn out. They may not win any prizes but that's too bad.

The fact is these little things of mine are musically sound. The notes are meant to be there as they are. They're all within the area of allowable or available tensions. They're not supposed to be a bad version of a traditional jazz ballad style.

I like my own stuff, it resonates with me rightly. It may not interest anyone else and I understand that. But that's just the way it is; we can't have everything in life.

So, last blast :-)

User Info Menu

John, I missed yours (lots of discussion this week, not a bad thing)

Nice slippery bluesy take...always enjoy your playing.
    Thanks Jeff, and back at ya.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    I'm not even going to pretend to know what I was going for with this.

Lol, I kinda liked it. I dig that tone too, with the tremolo. It's a very easy tune to play the "right" notes on and have them sound completely "not right."

I can hear you working towards something, which I like. Maybe not a preconceived notion, but you're clearly hearing something as you go, and going after it... It's a very candid take, and I appreciate that.

User Info Menu

Tbh, I didnt think i would get around to submitting anything this round as I had to have a rather unexpected eye surgery this week. Quite a pisser. Anyway its very therapeutic and I had to stay at home anyway.

User Info Menu

Amazing :-)

Hope the eye's okay