Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 95
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Well, time got away from me the last week and I never got the rotation restarted with a PM, so you are stuck with one more pick from me.

    Sus chords needed to resolve until April of 1965.

    JGBE Virtual Jam  (Round 39) - Maiden Voyage-1633633086117-jpg

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Cool!

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Cool!
    An excellent Jeff choice.
    A piece that is a test of who is practicing musical scales here in good way.
    At the same time, it is a great exercise for everyone.
    Last edited by kris; 10-08-2021 at 02:19 AM.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    My fingers aren't fast enough to play this slowly!




  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    My fingers aren't fast enough to play this slowly!



    Hey,
    Nice feel.
    You play better and better from month to month and you control your emotions.
    Exelent!!!

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    A little morning take...


  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    A little morning take...

    Nice. You handle the sixteenth-note runs like a boss, as they say.

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    There is my first take.This is not easy tune.To play something wise and in the atmosphere of a tune...:




    Box

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Wzpgsr, nice take! Reay taking your time and developing things.

    Kris, great stuff and very cool track too...you build really nice melodies that compliment the faster bits, and I hear a welcome hint of blues too.

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by kris
    There is my first take.This is not easy tune.To play something wise and in the atmosphere of a tune...:




    Box
    I liked how you make classic and modern sounds work well together within a single solo.

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    From 5 years ago:

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    I don't want to be a party pooper but, really, I've no idea what this is about. I'm fairly sure it's not about anything. To my mind it's just mindless noodling. What's it supposed to do? Create a mood? Good songs create a mood, can't help it. This isn't that, this is just some sort of endless hypnotic thing without point, to me at least.

    Anyway, I'm supposed to do it so here it is.


  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    I knew you'd love another modal tune, Rag

    You don't sound half bad on it. Be sure to check out the original...its fantastic.

    Dogletnoir, I keep losing the "1" but there's a vibe there i like. I'd like to hear what you sound like on it now...5 years is a long time...and I think you're one of those lucky sorts who sounds better than they did 5 years ago

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I don't want to be a party pooper but, really, I've no idea what this is about. I'm fairly sure it's not about anything. To my mind it's just mindless noodling. What's it supposed to do? Create a mood? Good songs create a mood, can't help it. This isn't that, this is just some sort of endless hypnotic thing without point, to me at least.
    Rag, that's exactly how I feel about a lot of mod. Yes, I agree the main thing is setting a mood. However, it's not a full departure from jazz because the rhythm section keeps it nice and steady and the chords and melody aren't bad. Then listen to the soloists and they do a great job. I'm a tradish, tonal guy all the way, but I do dig this kind of stuff, it's not bad.

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    A little morning take...

    Very nice take.
    Great jazz sound!
    A very creative way to combine pentatonics forming a coherent whole.
    Best
    Kris

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by dogletnoir
    From 5 years ago:
    This is probably not the original key of the tune ...looks like firts chord a Abmin/Db...or the guitar has a different tuning.
    The form of the tune is not legible or I hear something wrong.
    Good ideas with only two guitars.

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55
    Rag, that's exactly how I feel about a lot of mod. Yes, I agree the main thing is setting a mood. However, it's not a full departure from jazz because the rhythm section keeps it nice and steady and the chords and melody aren't bad. Then listen to the soloists and they do a great job. I'm a tradish, tonal guy all the way, but I do dig this kind of stuff, it's not bad.
    Complete consent...+1
    This tune requires a completely different approach to improvisation.
    A progression of only 4 chords forces the player to think creatively.
    Building a solo in a modal tune is a very big challenge.
    It is not just about using the right scales.

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    This is worth listening to:

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I don't want to be a party pooper but, really, I've no idea what this is about. I'm fairly sure it's not about anything. To my mind it's just mindless noodling. What's it supposed to do? Create a mood? Good songs create a mood, can't help it. This isn't that, this is just some sort of endless hypnotic thing without point, to me at least.

    Anyway, I'm supposed to do it so here it is.

    If we had accepted your way of thinking, the music would not develop at all.
    Jazz is the most creative music in the world.

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    For those who are afraid of suspended chords...:-)

    JGBE Virtual Jam  (Round 39) - Maiden Voyage-maidan-voyage-chords-jpg

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    There is my second take.I used my Telecaster for recording.
    I've been trying to make some music out of these four brilliant chords, and I like this tune by Herbie Hancock.





    Box

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

    Dogletnoir, I keep losing the "1" but there's a vibe there i like. I'd like to hear what you sound like on it now...5 years is a long time...and I think you're one of those lucky sorts who sounds better than they did 5 years ago
    5 years is definitely a long time, especially in dog years. i intend to work on this and see what i can come up with, and we shall see if i can do better this time.
    Hopefully there will be a bit less 'mindless noodling'...
    Last edited by dogletnoir; 10-09-2021 at 07:20 AM.

  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I knew you'd love another modal tune, Rag

    You don't sound half bad on it. Be sure to check out the original...its fantastic.
    I'm not querying your choice, Jeff, bound to be popular. I certainly don't mind modal stuff either, it's really interesting and needs application. Nor (I hope) am I some curmudgeonly old fuddy-duddy stuck in the 1900's, quite the contrary. You'd be amazed :-)

    Of course I've heard the original, and all the other covers of it. You know, the Wiki article says the tune started life as a TV jingle for a Fabergé commercial and it was Herbie's sister who came up with the ocean liner idea.

    I thought very carefully before posting my comment. I can't be the only one who finds it repetitive and hypnotic. I'm not very good at all that.

    Actually, I'm inclined to launch (no pun intended) into a spiel about meaningfulness. If you've got a really nice tune (lots of them around) then it's a question of doing it justice and enhancing it with your solo. Then it's a question of aesthetics, whether it's skilfully done, and so on.

    But when there's no real head or form to hang onto then it's a question of every man for himself. Then it tends to become comparative and competitive. The tune is forgotten and it's a challenge to see who's best, etc. I've never thought that was the point about art and music, personally.

    But I ramble, sorry.

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    I think this has merit. No question.


  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by kris
    This is probably not the original key of the tune ...looks like first chord a Abmin/Db...or the guitar has a different tuning.
    The form of the tune is not legible or I hear something wrong.
    Good ideas with only two guitars.
    Thanks! It wasn't really intended to be a straight interpretation of the Herbie Hancock composition, hence the FIRST TRIP appellation.
    i was just messing around with my looper pedal, came up with some chords that reminded me of Maiden Voyage, and took it from there.
    The guitar was in concert tuning, iirc... but it was five years ago, so it might not have been.