Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 94 of 94

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Kris ... Don't change JGBE Virtual Jam  (Round 39) - Maiden Voyage
    +1

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Last blast. With the backing track. It probably needs more 16th runs and chordal sounds but it'll do. It's more like the aftermath of a maiden voyage that went horribly wrong :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    This isn't that, this is just some sort of endless hypnotic thing without point, to me at least.
    I think hypnotic is the point.

I liked what you play there. Kinda hypnotic.

User Info Menu

-------------------

I'm not sure it's meant to be hypnotic, it's just the notes one finds (unless it's strictly diatonic) give that feeling, which I don't mind. The original's not hypnotic, but after the floaty pentatonic bit at the beginning it probably just becomes a jazz tune much like any other.

User Info Menu

You can get a lot of miles on a tune like this just staying in the scales the chords suggest and stepping over (or anticipating) the barlines...

User Info Menu

Spirited discussion!

I’ve transitioned into a new role in my career and have put the guitar down last few weeks. I really hope to catch up and post soon.

I really like this song, and like most modal stuff. It’s just a different type of song that requires a different kind of ear. I suppose you could equate it to blues, the way blues is the same thing over and over, and really doesn’t go anywhere, it’s all about what you bring to that foundation.

I also share some of Rag’s sentiment, and to use a phrase; Kris you can be a bit of a pill.

great takes from all and wzpgsr your tone is still king in this forum as far as I’m concerned, loved the sound of your guitar on last cut.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    You can get a lot of miles on a tune like this just staying in the scales the chords suggest and stepping over (or anticipating) the barlines...
    I promise you that in at least one of my efforts there's at least one chorus of Dorian. Somewhere

(It's Herbie's background rhythm I found really troublesome. I kept wanting to get going on beat three instead of waiting. Anyone else find that?)

User Info Menu

I promise you that in at least one of my efforts there's at least one chorus of Dorian. Somewhere

(It's Herbie's background rhythm I found really troublesome. I kept wanting to get going on beat three instead of waiting. Anyone else find that?)
    Agreed, it's very tricky. It took me a bunch of tries to get the head down, and even then I had to count explicitly. I fond blowing easier because the chord changes come on one, but I found that I could not cue myself with the drums or bass.

User Info Menu

Last blast. With the backing track. It probably needs more 16th runs and chordal sounds but it'll do. It's more like the aftermath of a maiden voyage that went horribly wrong :-)

I'm starting a GoFundMe to buy Rags a pick ... (or a giant callous on his thumb, though those are harder to find)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz

great takes from all and wzpgsr your tone is still king in this forum as far as I’m concerned, loved the sound of your guitar on last cut.
    Thanks, Trip. I put roundwounds on that guitar, and I’m really enjoying it. (The G string is actually flatwound to help maintain string balance…just a li’l tip I picked up elsewhere on the forum.)
    Last edited by wzpgsr; 10-14-2021 at 09:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I'm starting a GoFundMe to buy Rags a pick ... (or a giant callous on his thumb, though those are harder to find)
    I possess both, although the callous isn't very giant

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Alreet, then, here's mine. I don't think I've ever played this before (though I've listened to the HH version countless times). Quite a lesson in clave and counting.

That was wild! I agree with Kris on the Jeff Beck comment. The mood was quite different from the original but fun.

User Info Menu

At a real-life jazz jam, Kris would be one of the main players and would probably not (have time to) get drawn into pointless squabbling. I have no idea why you do that here Kris, because you can really play. Also, your ability to express yourself clearly in this forum's common language tends to vary a lot, which can lead to misunderstandings...

At the beginning of these jams ragman sounded interesting, "different" initially but now just sounds limited to me. The posts criticising some of these classic Bebop compositions are just plain embarrassing. All IMO.

Please do the forum a favour and cut it out guys and follow Zappa's advice.

Me? I'm still practising II V Is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    At a real-life jazz jam, Kris would be one of the main players and would probably not (have time to) get drawn into pointless squabbling. I have no idea why you do that here Kris, because you can really play. Also, your ability to express yourself clearly in this forum's common language tends to vary a lot, which can lead to misunderstandings...

At the beginning of these jams ragman sounded interesting, "different" initially but now just sounds limited to me. The posts criticising some of these classic Bebop compositions are just plain embarrassing. All IMO.

Please do the forum a favour and cut it out guys and follow Zappa's advice.

Me? I'm still practising II V Is.
    Hi Peter C,
    How are you?
    Thanks for a nice post.
    I will answer in more detail later.
    For two months I have been taking care of a 90-year-old man and I run from one place to another.
    I like to help...
    Besides, I have a lot of 251 ... probably a few hundred examples.
    Maybe it will be useful to someone.
    I will think how to share it on the forum.
    Have a nice day
    Jazzingly
    Kris
    ps.
    I wonder how Zappa would have reacted in the Internet age.
    This genius died too soon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    I have no idea why you do that here Kris, because you can really play. Also, your ability to express yourself clearly in this forum's common language tends to vary a lot, which can lead to misunderstandings...
    Peter,
    I'll try to answer that.
    I just practice songs and listen to others. Listening to others is also a learning experience.
    I know there is a virtual world here / JGBE / and therefore I try to be very precise in the comments.
    I never use the word bad. I encourage people to play and practice.
    I am not a buffoon or something like that.
    After 50 years of playing jazz music on stages in Europe, I have gained some knowledge that I want to share.
    To play jazz without a stage experience it's something new to me.
    This is the cause of these misunderstandings.
    Added to this is the fact that I do not know the playing musicians/ I've known Mr. Ragman1 the longest - maybe a few years/and the nuances of English language.
    I love playing and listening to jazz.
    What I value most about jazz is that you have to learn and develop all the time.
    I don't know what a bad or a good jazz musician means.
    There are beginner, intermediate and advanced categories-everyone plays differently but has to practice and learn the language of jazz.
    Once upon a time I was a beginner too, or maybe I am all the time.
    When I listen to jazz giants, it seems to me that I am just starting to learn from the beginning.
    Hope I didn't make too many mistakes in my poor English.
    All The Best
    Kris
    ps.
    On your advice and Zappa, I'll try to get as little involved with JGBE as possible.

User Info Menu

One more reflection: I received an award and distinction at the jazz festival from legendary Wild Bill Davison/USA/in 1978.
    It was not a small amount of money and an invitation to a tour of Denmark.I was invited to Mr. and Mrs. Davison's house.
    I saw that Bill is practicing something ...
    Bill noticed my gaze and said:
    'Son, you have to practice jazz until you die' ... then he laughed.
    ... my tears are falling when I watch this video:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Peter,
    I'll try to answer that.
    I just practice songs and listen to others. Listening to others is also a learning experience.
    I know there is a virtual world here / JGBE / and therefore I try to be very precise in the comments.
    I never use the word bad. I encourage people to play and practice.
    I am not a buffoon or something like that.
    After 50 years of playing jazz music on stages in Europe, I have gained some knowledge that I want to share.
    To play jazz without a stage experience it's something new to me.
    This is the cause of these misunderstandings.
    Added to this is the fact that I do not know the playing musicians/ I've known Mr. Ragman1 the longest - maybe a few years/and the nuances of English language.
    I love playing and listening to jazz.
    What I value most about jazz is that you have to learn and develop all the time.
    I don't know what a bad or a good jazz musician means.
    There are beginner, intermediate and advanced categories-everyone plays differently but has to practice and learn the language of jazz.
    Once upon a time I was a beginner too, or maybe I am all the time.
    When I listen to jazz giants, it seems to me that I am just starting to learn from the beginning.
    Hope I didn't make too many mistakes in my poor English.
    All The Best
    Kris
    ps.
    On your advice and Zappa, I'll try to get as little involved with JGBE as possible.
    Kris, I, for one, hope you stick around.l and continue to post. The pros like yourself bring a lot of value to the forum, IMO.

User Info Menu

Ok Kris, I don't have a lot of time to post, but I hope you keep on posting your playing without getting "sidetracked" If you want to point me to some 2 5 1 ideas, please go ahead! I think it's best to keep things simple when using a second language to avoid being misunderstood.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by charlieparker
    Kris, I, for one, hope you stick around.l and continue to post. The pros like yourself bring a lot of value to the forum, IMO.
    Thanks charlieparker.
    Very nice words - thank you.
    If time permits, I will be posting , but certainly not in the same amount as before.
    Best
    Kris