The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 94

User Info Menu

Backing track solo. Not really the right feel.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I don't understand your point. Of course we play a solo and get feedback on it. What are you saying?
    Ragman,
    If you can go to real jam, go there.
    You will then see that there are different reactions from the audience.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Ragman,
    If you can go to real jam, go there.
    You will then see that there are different reactions from the audience.
    In brief...:
    The musician plays a great solo because he has his day. The audience feels it and is applauded.
    The other musician plays a weak solo because the song doesn't suit him, and the audience reacts poorly.

User Info Menu

The other musician plays a weak solo because the song doesn't suit him, and the audience reacts poorly.
    That's why I changed the backing. No point in doing the wrong thing when you know it's the wrong thing.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Well, it's a great folk-bluesy sound. Not sure it's Maiden Voyage, though! Have you tried it against the original rhythm? That's no joke, I promise you.

User Info Menu

John, fun take...that almost made me like a strat

Some really nice inside out stuff in there, and yeah, that whammy dip was perfect.

Dofletnoir, liked hearing your second take...agreed, on the right track...sounds like you are discovering a tune with 4 chords can be harder than a tune with 20. Im hearing good ideas...confidence will come in time

Jazzism, very cool take. I'll be honest, I dislike a lot of odd metered jazz, because I think it gets too far away from jazz being music to dance and screw to...but I liked this. Your jumping interval licks are super cool.

Rag, I like the take with the backing track...I think it does capture a mood.

I've decided before I restart the rotation I'm going to call that tune you suggested a few weeks ago to me...its a surprise people, but its a good surprise, from the same era as this one...

Peter C, you know I always like to find the blues in everything...I'd like to be known as a blues player who gets kicked out of a jam for playing jazz Fun stuff. Your "main riff" is quite catchy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

Rag, I like the take with the backing track...I think it does capture a mood..
    You're crazy, but thank you. Definitely 'a' mood of some sort... :-)

(Actually I'm working on it, seriously)

Tune call, fine.

User Info Menu

This is still cool thread... fun to check out posts and hear everyone's styles and versions of. Thanks

Rag... this is not a gig or jam or performance etc... Your playing tunes for practice and get some helpful feedback...

the point is your on a guitar forum with a bunch of guitar players... they're like your clan, your brothers and sisters from another mother. Most here want YOU to to play your best, have fun and improve. No one is asking for anything or paying any $... the audience is the last concern. Your old... so am I. In the old days you either crashed and burned or got called back for another gig. Expand your vision and ears... get out of your comfort zone and try to play what the tune wants to hear instead of what you want to hear.

Peter... I could hear your approach. Your taking a lick and then adapt the lick to the next chord. But what that approach usually leads to is... actually using chord subs.

Your pent lick on A-7 was cool, nice feel... personally it sounded like you were going to either A-7b5 or Eb Lyd. for the C-7 chord. Which are both Diatonic subs for C-7.

C-7 is a II-7 chord and diatonic subs can be either the IVma7#11 chord or the VII-7b5 chord

Using the relative IVmaj9 chord for II-7 ... is always cool and fun improve thing

A-7 dorian , Amin pent. D9sus licks going to ...
    C-7... but instead go the Eb maj9 ... helps add a different reference for the Cmin chord. You can use a Maj chord and maj licks.. I mean what your feeling, just in major.

It's one of many ways to help expand a single lick into a solo... with musical organization. Once you develop your bag of subs, (tricks)... you don't even need to think about it. You can naturally play what you feel and hear. Just with longer sections of space and have Shape to your improv etc..

Anyway thanks for all the posts...

User Info Menu

That's why I changed the backing. No point in doing the wrong thing when you know it's the wrong thing.
    You don't understand that ... sorry
    I use shortcut comparisons, it doesn't matter what backing track you play with.
    You can play with a guitar backing and it can be good .
    It all depends on how efficiently you use jazz language and what VISION YOU HAVE.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    ... the audience is the last concern.
    Reg,
    Here, let me disagree.
    We are an audience and a demanding one.
    Without it, it would all be pointless.
    Best
    Kris
    ps.
    I have already written about this before.Each of us is a potential listener or audience here.
    Last edited by kris; 10-12-2021 at 05:14 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    A very good feeling.
    Exelent start to solo continuation.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Well, it's a great folk-bluesy sound. Not sure it's Maiden Voyage, though! Have you tried it against the original rhythm? That's no joke, I promise you.
    You didn't notice the title 'Blue Cruise'.

User Info Menu

Kris, your (first) take has some exquisite moments. Great atmosphere and tone.

Jazzism, cool chord work.

I was scrolling through a few backing tracks before shutting down for the night when I found that swampy sounding bass and drums track and the "main riff" in my take just happened on the spot, so I duly pointed the camera and recorded. So Reg, more than an approach as such, it was just a random event, the kind I personally love. I thank you for all your suggestions and will take them into account if I get round to doing a more paused and studied version. There was a guy who posted here whose sig. was "time on the instrument". My guitar thinks I'm being unfaithful.

PS I'm usually rushing through here somewhat so don't think I'm being rude by not commenting on everyone's takes. I listen to the first few measures and if something grabs me personally, I continue listening.

User Info Menu

Kris - yes, VISION

User Info Menu

Nothing like the ocean waves...

User Info Menu

Kris - yes, VISION
    You can take it as a lesson.
    Your vision and my implementation.
    Pay attention to the long phrases / 4 measures / that come together as a whole.
    I was playing exactly the same technique as you - that is, right hand thumb, single notes.
    Only one chorus-a lot of knowledge.

Box

User Info Menu

Box

Mmm, bit twiddly for me, that one. Try it again, a bit less twiddly maybe. Oh, and a firmer start please, bit of a car crash there at the start. Couple more days, you'll be fine

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzism
    An excuse for some more odd meter fun!
    Cheers.

This is killer, with a Tim Miller/Holdsworth vibe.
    i must get in the shed and study this more.

User Info Menu

Box

Mmm, bit twiddly for me, that one. Try it again, a bit less twiddly maybe. Oh, and a firmer start please, bit of a car crash there at the start. Couple more days, you'll be fine
    You write as if you weren't listening carefully...and a very malicious comment.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dogletnoir
    This is killer, with a Tim Miller/Holdsworth vibe.
    i must get in the shed and study this more.
    Yes.This is a great take.

User Info Menu

You write as if you weren't listening carefully...and a very malicious comment.
    Dish it out but can't take it, right? And can't see it was only there to make a point. Oh dear.

You've got a lesson or two to learn yourself, Kris. Jeff laid out rules for these tune threads and you're breaking quite a few of them. To be honest, I think you miss getting out and playing live with people. I know that's what you like to do. But what with Covid and the loss of your fiddler friend maybe you're not getting those opportunities. Perhaps that explains your constant presence here and the incessant posting. Your posts far outnumber anybody else's.

'2. This is an all inclusive, all levels jam. If you want advice, criticism, critique, ask for it. Keep comments positive, but be helpful. Anybody who vibes another player will receive passive and not so passive aggression from me on every post you make, for all eternity, until you die or leave the forum, whichever comes first. Ok, not really, but the general rule is "Don't be a dick." '

I have not asked for advice, criticism, critique, nor have I given any myself. But it seems as though you regard this set-up as an invitation to act as some sort of self-appointed music guru, casting your judgement, awarding your seal of approval or disapproval, and occasionally acting as an unappointed thread moderator, telling us how we should or should not play our music. This is not a forum for your ego to flex its muscles. We know you're a good player but that doesn't excuse it.

'Vibing' another player is, basically, giving them a hard time, making acerbic comments to them, and so on. With me, you seem to take a delight in it. Not that I care but it's noticeable.

So, since Jeff isn't here all the time and it seems just to be carrying on, I'll tell you myself. It's not a conversation or a discussion. Kindly behave yourself. If players want your critical feedback or instruction then they can request it. Otherwise you're just another player like the rest of us, good at the music or not. And you know as well as I do that if you really were that good you wouldn't be here at all.

Hope that's clear, since apparently no one else is going to say it. Frankly, it's become a bit tedious.

User Info Menu

Here’s one more before the week is out. A bit longer, higher quality, a little gratuitous, but I was having a lot of fun with this.

User Info Menu

Dish it out but can't take it, right? And can't see it was only there to make a point. Oh dear.

You've got a lesson or two to learn yourself, Kris. Jeff laid out rules for these tune threads and you're breaking quite a few of them. To be honest, I think you miss getting out and playing live with people. I know that's what you like to do. But what with Covid and the loss of your fiddler friend maybe you're not getting those opportunities. Perhaps that explains your constant presence here and the incessant posting. Your posts far outnumber anybody else's.

'2. This is an all inclusive, all levels jam. If you want advice, criticism, critique, ask for it. Keep comments positive, but be helpful. Anybody who vibes another player will receive passive and not so passive aggression from me on every post you make, for all eternity, until you die or leave the forum, whichever comes first. Ok, not really, but the general rule is "Don't be a dick." '

I have not asked for advice, criticism, critique, nor have I given any myself. But it seems as though you regard this set-up as an invitation to act as some sort of self-appointed music guru, casting your judgement, awarding your seal of approval or disapproval, and occasionally acting as an unappointed thread moderator, telling us how we should or should not play our music. This is not a forum for your ego to flex its muscles. We know you're a good player but that doesn't excuse it.

'Vibing' another player is, basically, giving them a hard time, making acerbic comments to them, and so on. With me, you seem to take a delight in it. Not that I care but it's noticeable.

So, since Jeff isn't here all the time and it seems just to be carrying on, I'll tell you myself. It's not a conversation or a discussion. Kindly behave yourself. If players want your critical feedback or instruction then they can request it. Otherwise you're just another player like the rest of us, good at the music or not. And you know as well as I do that if you really were that good you wouldn't be here at all.

Hope that's clear, since apparently no one else is going to say it. Frankly, it's become a bit tedious.
    I'm trying to help you, but apparently you don't want to. I get it.
    Sorry.
    This personal attack of yours on me is crazy.
    Kris
    ps.
    When you wrote about the violinist, you exaggerated a lot.
    I have been playing in my Trio for many years/without the violin/, it was very out of place, it hurt me a lot.
    "Don't be a dick." -you addressed this quote wrong ... it's also sad.
    Besides, I don't remember writing any comment about your performance.
    Recently, it was probably you who commented on my post/lesson/.
    I'm active on the forum, but that's not my only job.
    I love jazz and Jazz love me.
    Last edited by kris; 10-13-2021 at 03:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Dear Jeff,
    Tell me where I broke the JGBE rules?
    I wrote my comments in a very substantive and 100% positive way.
    In most of the recordings here, guitarists post and do not ask for a comment, and yet comments are made anyway.
    Maybe you need to change the rules - attach the text to the recording - "do not comment" .
    Then we will avoid misunderstandings.
    My activity - I think this is positive in the case of jazz music.Jazz is a music of development and requires activity.
    I would like there to be more activity on JGBE and a greater rotation of guitarists.
    This is also when the interest in jazz music will increase.
    I do not pretend to be a 'Guru'.I don't even know what that means exactly.
    Jazzingly
    Kris