The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 94

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I'm not querying your choice, Jeff, bound to be popular. I certainly don't mind modal stuff either, it's really interesting and needs application. Nor (I hope) am I some curmudgeonly old fuddy-duddy stuck in the 1900's, quite the contrary. You'd be amazed :-)

Of course I've heard the original, and all the other covers of it. You know, the Wiki article says the tune started life as a TV jingle for a Fabergé commercial and it was Herbie's sister who came up with the ocean liner idea.

I thought very carefully before posting my comment. I can't be the only one who finds it repetitive and hypnotic. I'm not very good at all that.

Actually, I'm inclined to launch (no pun intended) into a spiel about meaningfulness. If you've got a really nice tune (lots of them around) then it's a question of doing it justice and enhancing it with your solo. Then it's a question of aesthetics, whether it's skilfully done, and so on.

But when there's no real head or form to hang onto then it's a question of every man for himself. Then it tends to become comparative and competitive. The tune is forgotten and it's a challenge to see who's best, etc. I've never thought that was the point about art and music, personally.

But I ramble, sorry.
    Criticizing songs that are icons in jazz is probably something wrong.
    Besides, jam is a creative playing and requires some versatility from the performers.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Criticizing songs that are icons in jazz is probably something wrong.
    LOL.

That's called 'argument from popularity and/or authority' and it's fallacious.

(I hope you're busy working out some of Alessio's lines, they're rather good!)

User Info Menu

See, I think it has a great melody.

Definitely agree on the hypnotic aspect. Its a good thing to me...but then again, I regularly listen to entire Grateful Dead shows.

User Info Menu

LOL.

That's called 'argument from popularity and/or authority' and it's fallacious.

(I hope you're busy working out some of Alessio's lines, they're rather good!)
    haha,
    does Alessio take part in a virtual jam?
    Anyway I like very much Chris Potter much more interested for me although he plays the saxophone.
    His solo has something that Alessio does not.
    I suggest you listen to him carefully.
    Last edited by kris; 10-10-2021 at 01:52 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

Definitely agree on the hypnotic aspect. Its a good thing to me...but then again, I regularly listen to entire Grateful Dead shows.
    Besides, it is a very original composition that triggers creativity.
    This tune somehow exposes the improviser's workshop.
    There is tremendous knowledge in these four chords.
    I appreciate it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

But you, being 6'4" and very tough indeed, survived. Lesser mortals have not. I did listen to a whole Garcia solo once. Not bad

User Info Menu

This tune somehow exposes the improviser's workshop.
    There is tremendous knowledge in these four chords.
    That is so, I cannot deny it. I'm still working out things to do as we speak...

User Info Menu

Scuffling my way through it:

i need to cop some Chris Potter ideas, i think.

User Info Menu

Alreet, then, here's mine. I don't think I've ever played this before (though I've listened to the HH version countless times). Quite a lesson in clave and counting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dogletnoir
    Scuffling my way through it:

i need to cop some Chris Potter ideas, i think.
    Nice! You are going in the right direction.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Alreet, then, here's mine. I don't think I've ever played this before (though I've listened to the HH version countless times). Quite a lesson in clave and counting.

Very interesting take.
    Nice feel with distorted guitar.
    It reminds me a bit of Jeff Beck playing his Stratocaster.
    However, it is jazz solo with interesting melodic lines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.

This style suits the song well. Bonus points for giving your guitar a good swat on the ass at 2:02.

User Info Menu

Wzpgsr: Really nice. Great development, feel, tone. Regarding the love taps in my version, what can I say? Strat's been a naughty girl. Sometimes you gotta give the whammy a little wham. I do think this sort of tune benefits from a some sustain and the expressive possibilities of distortion. That, and a solid body recorded direct is quiet at night ...

Jeff: Definite got some lovechild of Grant and Jerry action there. Nice to hear you stretch out a bit.

Kris: I like both versions, though the way your backing tracks straighten out the rhythm compared to the original turns it into a somewhat different tune. I feel like part of the nature of the tune is having to feel the clave and syncopation, and build lines that weave in and out of the rhythmic space. Giving it a different pulse makes its something different. That aside, as always, you play some really interesting stuff and it's all beautifully executed. On mine, I guess any time I pick up the strat things get a little Beck-ish. I love his expressiveness and try to get a little of that vibe.

LittleBlackDog: The second one is cool. Definitely headed in the right direction

Ragman: So why play this tune? I don't know, why play any tune? Because it's there. Because someone called it, and playing tunes someone else calls is part of the jazz experience. Anyway, yeah, it's a big challenge to make it interesting with the method and aesthetic you use on these threads, so I appreciate your frustration and puzzlement. Put yourself in front of a really strong rhythm section, unchain yourself from having to use your lines to highlight form/structure, and give yourself a chance to let loose with dynamics and texture, and it's a different experience from the one you're having.
    Last edited by John A.; 10-10-2021 at 10:21 PM.

User Info Menu

John -

See, I'm just a quiet sort of person, quite happy to sit at home noodling over my chords. That's the way it is :-)

User Info Menu

At real jam sessions it is like ... when I don't know the tune and e.g.I don't have any notes, I just don't play.
    Here it is / internet / that everyone has access to everything.
    Therefore, if I record my version and I don't like it, I don't publish it.

User Info Menu

An excuse for some more odd meter fun!
    Cheers.

User Info Menu

Very interesting modern sound.
    The new generation language of expression.
    Great stuff!!!

User Info Menu

John -

See, I'm just a quiet sort of person, quite happy to sit at home noodling over my chords. That's the way it is :-)

Ragman 1,
    But are you doing it just for yourself?
    If so, why this jam?

User Info Menu

Ragman 1,
    But are you doing it just for yourself?
    If so, why this jam?
    That's a very good question. Probably, in a way, we're all doing it for ourselves, aren't we? We might publish what we do on the thread but, where individual interpretation is involved, there's a thin line between doing it for others' pleasure and doing it for our own.

What do you say?

User Info Menu

That's a very good question. Probably, in a way, we're all doing it for ourselves, aren't we? We might publish what we do on the thread but, where individual interpretation is involved, there's a thin line between doing it for others' pleasure and doing it for our own.

What do you say?
    You don't understand the jam session rules.
    You play solo for which you get applauded or not.
    There is no philosophy here.
    At least that's how I understand it.
    "Individual interpretation" is a serious statement for me and it makes me laugh a bit.
    This is not a Chopin competition that is currently taking place in Warsaw...

User Info Menu

Jazzism recorded an excellent version and let's talk about it and applaud him.

User Info Menu

You don't understand the jam session rules.
    These rules? They're plain enough.

JGBE Virtual Jam Song List and "Rules"

Which of them am I breaking?

User Info Menu

These rules? They're plain enough.

JGBE Virtual Jam Song List and "Rules"

Which of them am I breaking?
    You did not understand me.Maybe I didn't write clearly.
    I wrote about a real jam session.
    JGBE only has a name taken from a real jam session.
    In fact, it has nothing to do with real jam.
    The principle is similar ... i.e. you play a good solo and receive "spiritual support" from others.
    Hope you understed.

User Info Menu

you play a good solo and receive "spiritual support" from others..
    I don't understand your point. Of course we play a solo and get feedback on it. What are you saying?

User Info Menu

Kris (and Jeff too, probably) -

I'll be honest about this tune, I don't get it, unfortunately. I've tried it with a very good backing track and the rhythm over two bars is horrendous, very complicated, very easy to lose one's way. But, even so, nothing I was doing sounded any good at all. My 'style' didn't go with the backing which is why I made my own in the end. Even if I had a proper electric/jazz guitar it still wouldn't work.

So, as you can see, I just drift along dreamily to a vaguely bossa/samba rhythm and it works on its own level. But I do like the head, the notes are good, it's evocative.

So that explains that. Of course, I could just sit it out... but I ain't going to do that, not my style either, no way :-)