The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 78

User Info Menu

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 38) - Nuages-1633003754343-jpg
    For this week (I've decided to start our tune calling rotation again) a little something different...certainly not a common call at a straight ahead jam...but one of the very few of Django's compositions that gets played outside of "Gypsy Jazz" circles, probably due to brilliant versions by Joe Pass and Paul Desmond (with Ed Bickert)

It's a wonderful tune and everybody should know it. That's just my opinion...but yeah. And since the whole concept of this "jam" was "jazz tunes written by jazz artists," well this certainly fits.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Mais oui mon petit, I can oblige straightaway with this one! This was recorded on my classical guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Mais oui mon petit, I can oblige straightaway with this one! This was recorded on my classical guitar.

Great sound and exelent playing.
    A very professional recording of this beautifull Django's tune.
    Congrats
    Kris

User Info Menu

thanks kris!

User Info Menu

Graham, thats a tough act to follow! Tasteful but with plenty of swing and energy. Love it.

Here's mine...first time I ever played this with a non-gypsy jazz style backing...took me a few bars to feel somewhat ok...

User Info Menu

Contrary to appearances, this is not an easy piece.
    Gaining the right mood and at the same time playing on the listener's emotions is a real challenge.
    Grahambop-hit on 10.

User Info Menu

I must have done this one a million times but every time it's new. I have a plaster on a fretting finger at the moment so some notes are fudged but c'est la vie.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Graham, thats a tough act to follow! Tasteful but with plenty of swing and energy. Love it.

Here's mine...first time I ever played this with a non-gypsy jazz style backing...took me a few bars to feel somewhat ok...

Nice take.
    I miss some more melodic phrases .
    The solo should do the whole thing with the head.
    It's such a tune that you probably have to play the melody of the head.
    This is my experience of playing this song live.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I must have done this one a million times but every time it's new. I have a plaster on a fretting finger at the moment so some notes are fudged but c'est la vie.

You don't have to play a long solo here.
    You just have to hit the atmosphere of the song and think about head all the time.
    Sometimes it is said: play straight from the heart.

User Info Menu

Nuages is one of the most beautiful melodies in jazz.
    It has to be played straight from the heart:

Box

Dutchbopper Guest
    I am no participant in these virtual jams in any way but here's a take I recorded last year. It's the Ron Eschete version. I added the Eschete arrangement below as a chord melody piece. Very cool stuff.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    I am no participant in these virtual jams in any way but here's a take I recorded last year. It's the Ron Eschete arrangement.

DB

Great version!
    Exelent playing.
    The jazz box sounds fantastic in your hands.
    Beautiful articulation.
    DB -People like you are raising the level of this strange virtual jam.
    I am doing everything to make it nice and slightly raise the level of requirements.
    Sometimes I don't know why I'm doing this ...?
    Maybe I'm a fool.

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Great version!
    Exelent playing.
    The jazz box sounds fantastic in your hands.
    Beautiful articulation.
    DB -People like you are raising the level of this strange virtual jam.
    I am doing everything to make it nice and slightly raise the level of requirements.
    Sometimes I don't know why I'm doing this ...?
    Maybe I'm a fool.
    Thanks Kris. I just added a chord melody take of the Eschete version in the OP. Such a cool one to learn!

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Nice take.
    I miss some more melodic phrases .
    The solo should do the whole thing with the head.
    It's such a tune that you probably have to play the melody of the head.
    This is my experience of playing this song live.
    It really should on this one...I wanted to keep it short, but I think I'll do another take with the head...

To me, this is the kind of tune where you can play the melody, maybe add a few embellishments, and have that be it. There's no need to take many choruses on a tune like this...at least for me

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    I am no participant in these virtual jams in any way but here's a take I recorded last year. It's the Ron Eschete version. I added the Eschete arrangement below as a chord melody piece. Very cool stuff.

DB

Well that was neat-- I had never imagined it as a samba, but it totally works. Come to think of it now, there's some harmonic moves and structure things in this tune that are very Jobim-approved

Great playing on both clips.

User Info Menu

Rag and Kris, I'll have to check yours out tonight...I somehow left the house without my phone today, and the work firewall is not cooperating with Soundcloud or letting me access the Box.

Wow...it's really weird being sans phone. Thank goodness I wore a watch.

User Info Menu

Ah, that kind of firewall

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Rag and Kris, I'll have to check yours out tonight...I somehow left the house without my phone today, and the work firewall is not cooperating with Soundcloud or letting me access the Box.

Wow...it's really weird being sans phone. Thank goodness I wore a watch.
    haha...
    I had a problem with my phone yesterday ... it was completely dead and I was away from home.
    I'm probably more attached to the phone than to the guitar ...
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop

Graham what's the backing track?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by charlieparker
    Graham what's the backing track?
    Band-in-a-box for the bass and brushes, then I recorded myself comping, then I recorded the solo.

Can’t really remember now why I used the classical guitar. I think I wanted to do it ‘acoustic’ like Django, all I have in the way of acoustic guitars is a dreadnought or a classical, I guess I decided against the dreadnought.

User Info Menu

Very nice Jeff. That's what these jams are surely all about, the emphasis being on coming up with some cool lines as against playing a set arrangement.

Kris, I enjoyed your take, especially when you started diverging from the melody.

User Info Menu

There is my second take.My first take was in the F second one is in G.
    I used my jazz Tele and Band in the Box.
    Slow Bossa style fits very well with the mood of the Nuages.
    Hope you like it:

Box

User Info Menu

Rag, definitely your kind of tune, and I can tell you had some fun with that!

Kris, more proof of how nice this is with a Brazilian feel. Great playing.

I have something in mind I want to try this weekend, but first I thought I'd just play that lovely melody.

Here's a solo version, just melody and some improvised bits in between. Trying to just let the song be the song.

User Info Menu

Very nice playing Jeff!!
    Great ad lib feel.
    Best
    Kris
    ps.
    Thank you for nice coment.

User Info Menu

What the hell, one more...last time I'm going to get to play this weekend probably anyway!