User Info Menu

Allan Holdsworth:

User Info Menu

Life! Fun!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Pat Martino:
    Love PM but my brain sometimes gets tired of his blazing and long 16th note solos since it requires a lot more attention. Never heard this rendition, and it's a refreshing change.

User Info Menu

Very interesting take of Django-solo guitar:

User Info Menu

Good playing on electric guitar:
    Hey - that's my hometown!

User Info Menu

Tommo,
    There is a great guitar festival.Nice.

User Info Menu

Tommo, where have you been?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zdub
    Love PM but my brain sometimes gets tired of his blazing and long 16th note solos since it requires a lot more attention. Never heard this rendition, and it's a refreshing change.
    Interesting thing they've done with the background chords.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Tommo, where have you been?
    I have been and still am quite busy so I don't find quality time to learn tunes and make video clips. Donna Lee is out of reach for me anyway but I think I will learn the head at some point. I haven't even listened much - shame on me. Playing around with Nuages but don't expect a clip fro me - sorry....

User Info Menu

I'm amazed, delighted, staggered, and overwhelmed by the playing from the guys on this thread, and other threads in the series. It really is wonderful. Great playing and well done one and all. Some serious and tasteful talent.

User Info Menu

Here's a solo guitar version i did about a year ago, using a guitar that's about as far from the gypsy jazz world as you can possibly get (a .strandberg* Boden Metal 8):

i'll try to get a newer take recorded soon.
    Last edited by dogletnoir; 10-06-2021 at 08:41 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm not a gypsy player... don't have skills. I subbed for this group and then somewhat became a member... and after covid BS, started playing some outdoor gigs , even have friends from this forum sit-in. Anyway someone recorded some tunes from one of my early subbing gigs with them. I was playing from their book, I'm still working with them, different drummer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    I'm not a gypsy player... don't have skills. I subbed for this group and then somewhat became a member... and after covid BS, started playing some outdoor gigs , even have friends from this forum sit-in. Anyway someone recorded some tunes from one of my early subbing gigs with them. I was playing from their book, I'm still working with them, different drummer.

Reg,
    Nice.
    I think you don't have to be a gypsy player to play Nuages.
    You're just playing a jazz standard composed by Django.
    You play your stuff and this is ok.
    Nice band with mandolin.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

The music says G, but i usually play it in F, so my fingers keep wanting to go to places they shouldn't, LOL.
    Eh bien, c'est la vie, ouais?
    Played with 2 fingers on the fretting hand, just for the heck of it.

User Info Menu

Reg,
    Nice.
    I think you don't have to be a gypsy player to play Nuages.
    You're just playing a jazz standard composed by Django.
    You play your stuff and this is ok.
    Nice band with mandolin.
    Best
    Kris
    Hey Thanks Kris... yea it's fun. I don't think I had played nuages for 25 to 30 years before that gig. I've been playing Sunday afternoon outdoor gigs with that band with new drummer, really good player, for the last couple months. We have a lot of fun... tunes change every time we play them, I give lots of live verbal cues, and play with forms etc... and keep us on the edge. Audiences seem to enjoy, LOL

User Info Menu

I have no idea what technology was used to make Allan Holdsworth's guitar sound like that (a synth probably), but man that is beautiful music.

I've heard a few minutes of other takes just from Jeff and Kris which also sounded excellent, "pro" if you like.

User Info Menu

Reg, nice take...like the sound with the mandolin, for sure. Definitely doesn't need to be a "gypsy" tune...I might like it more NOT in that style...

Dogletnoir, the solo take was fun...an 8 string...dang. But I really liked your second take...tasty playing, great tone...liked everything about that.

Let me see if I missed any...

User Info Menu

I did miss a few...

John, nice to see and hear the SelMac. I should play mine more...They're fun guitars...I liked your take of the melody, and the bit of flash in the solo. Good stuff.

Rag, I like the Bolero...this tune definitely adapts to different takes in style, which I think is a testament to a strong melody.

User Info Menu

Yup, I thought the Bolero was more fun than the usual Bossa.

Well, it's probably time for the traditional last blast. I wasn't going to post this but, as it's such an exquisite rendering done with infinite care, I thought I'd let you have it. If you'll excuse the expression

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Hey Thanks Kris... yea it's fun. I don't think I had played nuages for 25 to 30 years before that gig. I've been playing Sunday afternoon outdoor gigs with that band with new drummer, really good player, for the last couple months. We have a lot of fun... tunes change every time we play them, I give lots of live verbal cues, and play with forms etc... and keep us on the edge. Audiences seem to enjoy, LOL
    One thing about playing in a band with a mandolin.
    The mandolin must not be too loud, especially when you are playing a solo.
    Accompaniment on the mandolin is very difficult and sometimes single notes stand out creating a little mess.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    I have no idea what technology was used to make Allan Holdsworth's guitar sound like that (a synth probably), but man that is beautiful music.
    Although the thumbnail shows him playing his early 80s Charvel single pickup S-type guitar, that track was definitely recorded on the SynthAxe.
    Go to about 12:44 in the video to hear what AH has to say about it:

There's a lot of SynthAxe on the 'Atavachron' and 'Sand' albums: