The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 78

User Info Menu

Nice blues feel over Nuages.
    Distorted guitar plus only bass comping discovers new secrets of this tune.
    Best
    kris

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

According to a biography of Django, iirc, this tune was a hit in Occupied Paris. It purportedly captured the pain Parisians felt about the Occupation without inflaming the Nazis, since it was an instrumental.

User Info Menu

Obligatory Sel-Mac version.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    you had some fun with that!
    Hi, Jeff, some nice stuff from you as always. Yes, I had fun with it and I'll say why. No one's posted any Django versions yet. It isn't sad or even romantic, etc, it's actually pretty jaunty.

When I play it (and I've done it for years and years now) I always get a light feel, not because of Django but because it's there in the tune. Which is not to say it can't be played prettily, it is pretty, but pretty isn't whatever the other thing is. Come to think of it, it's probably more redolent of Paris street life, which he loved, of course. It's probably what they used to call gay before it meant something else.

Anyway, that's my take on it. Carry on :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Mais oui mon petit, I can oblige straightaway with this one! This was recorded on my classical guitar.

Great take. Love the expressiveness and the chord voicings. Intonation is so good as to be noticeable -- a lot of times you don't hear the notes sounding this good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Graham, thats a tough act to follow! Tasteful but with plenty of swing and energy. Love it.

Here's mine...first time I ever played this with a non-gypsy jazz style backing...took me a few bars to feel somewhat ok...

Another great take. Vibrato is vibrant. Every chord sounds perfect for the situation. And, of course, the whole thing is melodic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I must have done this one a million times but every time it's new. I have a plaster on a fretting finger at the moment so some notes are fudged but c'est la vie.

Seems like the perfect tune for your style. Nicely done, as usual.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Nuages is one of the most beautiful melodies in jazz.
    It has to be played straight from the heart:

Box
    I particularly like the interpretation of the melody -- combination of a kind of laconic approach to time (for want of a better descriptor), with vibrato and some well placed legato. Backing is nice too ... is that you also?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I particularly like the interpretation of the melody -- combination of a kind of laconic approach to time (for want of a better descriptor), with vibrato and some well placed legato. Backing is nice too ... is that you also?
    Thanks.
    Backing is from BB in the Key of F.

User Info Menu

According to a biography of Django, iirc, this tune was a hit in Occupied Paris. It purportedly captured the pain Parisians felt about the Occupation without inflaming the Nazis, since it was an instrumental.
    True, it is not a happy tune.
    A nostalgic beautiful melody with a hint of optimism.
    It can be heard very well when performed by violinists.

User Info Menu

In the late 90's I had the opportunity to play at the same festival concert as Birelli in Poland.To my surprise he came up to me and said: "You are great player and you are completely different. Very good."I remember it to this day.

User Info Menu

Great take. Love the expressiveness and the chord voicings. Intonation is so good as to be noticeable -- a lot of times you don't hear the notes sounding this good.
    Thanks. I recorded this on a little Korg digital recorder using its built-in mics, but my classical guitar seemed to record very clearly with it.

User Info Menu

By the way here’s a rather different version - I quite like this sound!

User Info Menu

Looks like James Carter is a fun of Django music.

User Info Menu

I know, that's the usual story. But when they recorded the original it wasn't melancholy. It always had a strict thump rhythm, even done slowly. Maybe that was to disguise its true intent, I don't know.

This is credited to Django in '53, the year he died. If that is him playing, his style must have been considerably influenced over the years.

User Info Menu

I think this is generally accepted as the 'original' recording (complete with fluffy cloud and bugle noises). There was an earlier one in 1940 but most people overlook it.

Nuages wasn't the only 'sad' tune he wrote, there were several, like Tears, also performed rather jauntily.

Mind you, I think Nuages should be performed in a melancholy way because it suits it best and I'm sure he realised that.

User Info Menu

Ragman 1,
    This is the same recording I posted in post no 34.

User Info Menu

There might be some interest in this. I've been raiding the vaults! This was done in, I think, 2010 and probably with a pick. I'd just discovered recording hence the over-exposure and loud background. Standard delivery of the tune. Mind you, I'd been playing it for a long time before this with friends, including fiddler players. Very good ones too.

User Info Menu

Exelent tempo.S.Grappelli exelent feel.I like the lightness of playing the violin.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    There might be some interest in this. I've been raiding the vaults! This was done in, I think, 2010 and probably with a pick. I'd just discovered recording hence the over-exposure and loud background. Standard delivery of the tune. Mind you, I'd been playing it for a long time before this with friends, including fiddler players. Very good ones too.

The solo would gain some character if you played a few easier licks of Django, if possible.
    Nice bending 1:34min.
    Too fast tempo in my opinion.
    Last edited by kris; 10-04-2021 at 04:56 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    "For Django" is one of the best Joe Pass's CD.
    This version of Nuages is my favorite guitar take.

User Info Menu

Christian M
    Where are you?
    Last edited by kris; 10-04-2021 at 01:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    He got lost listening to Electric Django and never found his way out.

But seriously .. Electric Django is grossly underrated!
    How do I know Django didn't like playing the electric guitar.
    ...but ofcourse his recordings on electric guitars are great.