Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Right, and who was playing trumpet? ;-)

Where two argue, the third one is used.
    Fats plus Miles=Parker

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Yes I’ve read something about that before. There is a reference to it here:

Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Donna Lee)
    I think the definitive argument that Miles wrote DL is from a book called The Bebop Revolution in Words and Music, ed. Dave Oliphant. Chapter by Douglas Parker called "'Donna Lee' and the ironies of Bebop" is a very careful study of the tune and related tunes. He floats the Fats Navarro hypothesis as well in a section called "A Lick and a Premise."
    Last edited by lawson-stone; 09-27-2021 at 11:56 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I think the definitive argument that Miles wrong DL is from a book called The Bebop Revolution in Words and Music, ed. Dave Oliphant. Chapter by Douglas Parker called "'Donna Lee' and the ironies of Bebop" is a very careful study of the tune and related tunes. He floats the Fats Navarro hypothesis as well in a section called "A Lick and a Premise."
    Thanks a lot for the info.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Thanks a lot for the info.
    Best
    Kris
    I had a spelling/auto-correct error in the post. "wrong" should have been "wrote." It's corrected now.

User Info Menu

Donna Lost it…… Tried Donna Lee with an Aebersold-track at 250 bpm…. Too fast for me! See how I get lost and behind the beat and then try to catch up by speeding…. Hilarious! I definitely have some wood shedding to do for this tempo…..!

(Don’t laugh too hard please…..

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzism
    We used to bust this out at funk Jams, to break up the monotony of too many tunes with one chord vamps LOL. Anyway, here's a quick hack through it.
    Cheers!

I like it, nice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Donna Lost it…… Tried Donna Lee with an Aebersold-track at 250 bpm…. Too fast for me! See how I get lost and behind the beat and then try to catch up by speeding…. Hilarious! I definitely have some wood shedding to do for this tempo…..!

(Don’t laugh too hard please…..

Hello Lttle Jay,
    Welcome to the Donna Lee club.
    Nice tempo and really nice solo.
    Head- I played it a few times at concerts and also had some imprecise spots.Do not Worry!
    The most important thing is courage and motivation.
    Nice playing with great jazz tone and feel.
    Jazzingly
    Kris

User Info Menu

This is my last take of Donna Lee.
    Head plus one chorus solo.
    Guitar is totally clean/clasical guitar/ with Aebersold backing track in latin style/Latin Bird/.
    I think I play head quite precisely.

Box

User Info Menu

Hello Lttle Jay,
    Welcome to the Donna Lee club.
    Nice tempo and really nice solo.
    Head- I played it a few times at concerts and also had some imprecise spots.Do not Worry!
    The most important thing is courage and motivation.
    Nice playing with great jazz tone and feel.
    Jazzingly
    Kris
    Thanks for the kind words Kris! I usually play it at a lower tempo, this high tempo really exposed all my weaknesses….. JGBE Virtual Jam  (Round 37) - Donna Lee

I’ll give it another go soon!

User Info Menu

This is my last take of Donna Lee.
    Head plus one chorus solo.
    Guitar is totally clean/clasical guitar/ with Aebersold backing track in latin style/Latin Bird/.
    I think I play head quite precisely.

Box
    Very nice! Yes, the head was flawless and a nice solo as well! The nylon strings give a nice different flavor.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Very nice! Yes, the head was flawless and a nice solo as well! The nylon strings give a nice different flavor.
    Thanks a lot.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

THIS IS THE JAZZ POLICE SPEAKING-

We've never investigated what was going on in the JGBE Virtual Jam threads, but now that we find out that you've been playing DL at a tempo less than 300BPM, we're going to have to impound your instruments, and have you spend a little time in our 'Re-Education Camps'.
    You will be given constant electro-shocks until you play the head and improvise on it at a tempo over 300BPM.
    We will notify your families when you are ready to be released.
    Sincerely,
    THE JAZZ POLICE

User Info Menu

Another crazy busy week for me on family, day job, and music fronts. I've actually been shedding this a bit and have the head almost down (something I've always meant to do ...), but probably won't have time record until after Thursday (too late, but maybe will try to put one up then). Checking out others' when I have some downtime ...

User Info Menu

Captain
    I tried to play at 305bpm - can't do it, I need constant electro-shocks...but I'm afraid that after electro-shocks I might not be able to play at 200bpm.Besides, my guitar will start to burn if I touch the strings.

User Info Menu

I'm going to give it a go here, very cool thread! This is today before leaving for work. Not perfect at all, probably close to what I actually sound like most of the time.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/se9WW5Ht4321K3q8A

User Info Menu

There is my take after constant electro-shocks.
    For those interested - they were constant electro-shocks applied to my program Band in the box / for good luck /.
    Before the treatment, I played at a tempo of 200bpm.
    Have fun.!

Box

User Info Menu

The Omnibook backing track at 100%... 230-ish. Head only. I hope to have an hour to play tomorrow before moving on to the next tune. With four boys (7, 5, 3, 1) spare time is quite rare.

User Info Menu

Excellent. Well done, matey! Is this the same guy that started here?

HUR???

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Excellent. Well done, matey! Is this the same guy that started here?

HUR???
    Thanks!
    I’ll keep at this. Not for speed but it’s so wonderfully boppy and I really want to be able to improvise in this style.

Hur means how. I’m a teacher in Sweden.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peterson
    The Omnibook backing track at 100%... 230-ish. Head only. I hope to have an hour to play tomorrow before moving on to the next tune. With four boys (7, 5, 3, 1) spare time is quite rare.

I prefer your first take.It was more precise.
    Respect for taking up the fight against a change of tempo.
    Best
    kris

User Info Menu

Don’t forget your fifth child, age -1 years.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Don’t forget your fifth child, age -1 years.
    Do you know something I don’t?

User Info Menu

Do you know something I don’t?
    I'm full of admiration.
    Donna is your "musical kid"...
    Last edited by kris; 09-30-2021 at 04:15 AM.