The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 121

User Info Menu

A twist this week!

This tune has been done in the practical standards thread, yes, and its not the "jazz tune by a jazz artist" idea we've been following...but dogletnoir has offered to make us tracks to play along with this week...so its actually, kinda sorta like playing with another member.

You could just do your own too, but he'll post the tracks here soon. And its definitely a jam session must know, as well.

Have fun!

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 36) - Softly as in a Morning Sunrise-1631809862504-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Warning: Ron Carter, i am not.
    Not even close... but i had fun doing this, and i hope that you will enjoy it too.
    Anyhow, here are the downloadable files!

For those of you who just want to play the single note stuff:

... and for those who want to comp (and struggle to follow my bass part, LOL):
    Stream Softly (bass and drums) - 14:09:21 22.57 by frostyjr2 | Listen online for free on SoundCloud
    Thanks for letting me do this, Jeff (mr. beaumont), and i promise that next time (if there IS a next time), i'll have read the rules before suggesting the tune!
    P.S. my pronouns are she/her

User Info Menu

My version with me comping:

User Info Menu

Why is a tune called 'Softly, As In A Morning Sunrise' played so fast, that's what I want to know!

User Info Menu

Just spent a week in Cm, so it's in Dm.

User Info Menu

Lovely.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    A twist this week!

This tune has been done in the practical standards thread, yes, and its not the "jazz tune by a jazz artist" idea we've been following...but dogletnoir has offered to make us tracks to play along with this week...so its actually, kinda sorta like playing with another member.

You could just do your own too, but he'll post the tracks here soon. And its definitely a jam session must know, as well.

Have fun!
    I think this tune is most often played at jam sessions. A great choice. At jam sessions it is played at a fast tempo because the musicians want to shine with technique and musical invention to win over the audience.You can have fun with this song and a "happy morning" ..

User Info Menu

This is the best guitar version I've ever heard.I have listened to this solo hundreds of times, just outer space.
    I am crazy about John Scofield:

User Info Menu

Really fast Birelli:

User Info Menu

Slow Chet:

User Info Menu

It was originally a tango, of course... :-)

helluva sunrise!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    A twist this week!

Have fun!

Or to keep legal we could play "Walk Don't Run" ...

Actually, I'm cool with relaxing the rules and allowing in some GASB as long as we stick with the spirit of learning the tune quickly, posting fresh and brief (ish) takes, and not belaboring things with too much in-depth analysis and repetition (a la the practical standards threads, which I think have confirmed my ADHD diagnosis ).

User Info Menu

Slightly Off Topic but a good laugh.... :-)

User Info Menu

Excellent, thank you

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Interesting reharmonisation of Emilly:

User Info Menu

One of my favorites: Paul Wertico (Metheny's drummer) Trio, with a young John Moulder, 1994 -- gotta listen to the end!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danil
    This is so good! And she died at 32. I better practice!!

User Info Menu

Sorry Dogletnoir, I tried using your backing track but your bass keeps leading to the Eb prematurely, I don’t know if it was intentional or not but it kept throwing me off. I found a really unique and cool backing track that I cut this one with.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    One of my favorites: Paul Wertico (Metheny's drummer) Trio, with a young John Moulder, 1994 -- gotta listen to the end!

Live in Warsaw.Great stuff!
    Thanks for the link.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Seen 'em. Anybody can post YouTubes. Look, here's another five...

Contrary to appearances, this is not an easy piece.
    Therefore, we must learn from the masters.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    Sorry Dogletnoir, I tried using your backing track but your bass keeps leading to the Eb prematurely, I don’t know if it was intentional or not but it kept throwing me off. I found a really unique and cool backing track that I cut this one with.
    Nice take with a nice backing tr.
    I can hear emotions in your playing which is a big plus...lively performance arousing the interest of the listener.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    we must learn from the masters.
    We are the masters.

User Info Menu

Forget the cringeworthy vocal intro, listen to the piano player. He's doing some lovely stuff there. From 0.53.

It's actually a really miserable, depressing song!